Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
I would like to share the experience after my hunt. Close to one and half year I posted a report on how great my trip had been and the wonderful trophies I was able to get with Cruiser Safaris. They are a top notch outfitter with outstanding trophies, and this report is not in any way directed to them. The problem I'm having is with Highveld Taxidermists and their affiliated company Oxi Logistics.

Now, let me tell my experience with Highveld Taxidermists/Oxi Logistic. This is where my nightmare starts. After waiting for what seemed forever, my trophies finally arrived, to my horror I noticed that the crate is all busted up. I think, no worries, I have insurance. Not so much, this is where my nightmare turns ugly. The shipper Oxi Logistics tells me that my insurance coverage was only while my trophies where in transit and arrived in the US and not the final destination my house. First of all I was never given the option to change or upgrade my insurance coverage, or informed of what was covered and what was not covered. The invoice had insurance coverage and I was told it was for replacement cost. As of yet, and many request, I have not seen or have been provided a copy of my insurance certificate by Oxi, which leads me to believe that I never had insurance to beggin with.

I've been in a constant argument with Oxi Logistic, and the bottom line is that they are refusing to accept my claim for the repair of my m0unts. Oxi's suggestion was for me to ship my trophies back to SA and Highveld Taxidermists would fix them for free. Meanwhile, this would end up costing me over $5,000.00 in transportation fees, customs fees, import/export fees, etc, etc. Which I could use that money to get them fix here in the US, and why should I have to pay out of my pocket when supposedly I had insurance.

I know there are a lot of hunters that had their mounts done and shipped by Highveld Taxidermists and Oxi Logistics without any issues, but the true colors and the honesty of companies come out with issues like mine.

I paid some good money to Highveld Taxidermists/Oxi Logistics, and now I have a Kudu with a busted mouth, an Impala with a broken ear and broken neck, a Wildebeest with discoloration on his nose and a Zulu shield with gouges and scratches all over. All this would have been solved if I would have been given the option to change/upgrade the insurance coverage, or if my broker would have been made aware of the insurance limitations. I've paid a lot for this safari and for mounting these trophies, so another $100-300 would not have been an issue.

Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most unfortunate, I don't see any pix though.

Sorry, my bad, here is an update.

My Impala
Lopez 8.jpg
Lopez 9.jpg

Here is my Kudu
Lopez 7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your problems. Thanks for sharing your experience so that we are warned.

All the best.

I feel your pain. Yes the whole insurance thing is a scam for sure. You only come out if things, really go BAD.

I am with you. No certificate, no insurance.

There are so many ways to refuse/deny payment and it is just too costly to litigate.
When did the damage happen?
Which stop over was it damaged on?
How do you prove it?
Unless the plane crashed it did not happen inside the plane.

What an absolutely idiotic suggestion: "Just ship them back to Highveld".
Apparently you are made of money.
Perhaps they could suggest a shipping company you could use! :rolleyes:

It is just easier to AVOID this kind of company with this type of business practice.

"uberrimae fidei" - Utmost good faith. Instead, you get shoulder shrugs and denials. :mad:

Minor irritations in shipping is one thing.

Caveat Emptor, yet again.

Thanks guys, and I hear ya loud and clear.

It is a shame that we save our hard earned money to go on a trip of a life time, and then have it end up like mine did, and since we have a big ocean in between, there is nothing I can do. I think they charge me for insurance and never purchased the policy, hoping that nothing would happen in transit.

I have always wondered how much these companies are getting (the %) for recommending insurance.

…………. I think they charge me for insurance and never purchased the policy, hoping that nothing would happen in transit.

Request a copy of the certificate of insurance and the policy that you paid for. If they do not provide it you will then have support for a fraud claim with SAPS.

Them interpreting a policy is not acceptable. It is your policy. Who is the carrier.

I had a car rental company charge me for a tire without ever being provided an invoice. I emailed the head office and told them if I did not have it within a week I would be contacting my national police force to pursue fraud charges against them.

Funny, I got a copy of the invoice by return email. Still a rip off but at least they provided a rationale for it.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the damage to your trophies and the run-around you're getting. For a variety of reasons I've always had my horns, hides and skulls shipped directly to a taxidermist here in the good ol' U.S.A. The overall cost may be a bit higher, but I'd rather have some oversight and/or be able to answers questions if necessary. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Thanks guys! My broker here in the states is handling that part, and we e-mailed Oxi Logistics once again asking for proof of insurance and I'm waiting for a reply. If I do not receive anything, I'm planning on writing to SAPS, SCI & DSC and expose the fraud and what I'm going through.

Something that I don't quite understand is that with so much money riding inside the crate, and not a single "FRAGILE" sign or a do not stack or put heavy items on the crate all.

I also want to make it clear that I'm not saying anything negative about Cruiser Safaris, but unfortunately this is the company they recommended and use. I wrote Cruiser Safaris and explained to them what I'm going through, and I have not heard anything from them either.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that this happened while in transit here in the states. So, I'm also dealing with the trucking company. I was a freight forwarder for many years, and when we shipped goods out to another country the insurance coverage was from from A to the final destination. Which is why I don't understand why the "coverage" to the first warehouse in the US. If I would have had the right insurance coverage, I wouldn't be writing this post.

Last edited:
You might still be writing the post but it might have slightly less frustration in it.

Cruiser may be out hunting hard this time of year.

You might still be writing the post but it might have slightly less frustration in it.

Cruiser may be out hunting hard this time of year.

Sorry for your problems. My experience with Highveld and Oxi went just fine. I have taken the liberty of forwarding the link to your problem to those in charge at both Oxi and Highveld. Hope this helps.

Sorry for your problems. My experience with Highveld and Oxi went just fine. I have taken the liberty of forwarding the link to your problem to those in charge at both Oxi and Highveld. Hope this helps.

I hope it helps to.

Looks like your trophy were less than you expected..:(. to say the least. :cry: What a dejected look you had :sick: when opening the coffin (big box). (n)

I know i was apprehensive when i receive a shipment from my taxidermist and there were 2 fork lift holes in one side of the coffin. :(

Where was your customs inspection. Contact them to see what condition the crate was in when inspected. They would have made a note for damages.

Just from looking at the two animals you posted, the workmanship was marginal at best. (n) :notworthy:

Just another posting to confirm that the best policy is to bring your animals back for work.

There is not that big of a savings, from what i have seen in doing the work here vs in Africa. Completed work cost additional for crating and shipping.

James is probably right and what he says about costs etc is true. However in planning for my upcoming hunt, contrary to the last 3 times, I had planned to have a local taxi do my work, knowing it would likely be a fairly small order. When I got info from the brokers, and freight houses etc, here, and a little whining from the taxi about having to got to the airport to clear my stuff for a small amount of taxi work, I said to hell with it, and told them all I changed my mind. I like being able to pick up my own shipment from customs and FWS and pay a small fee and take my finished trophies home. Cant do that with raw animal parts.

…………….and a little whining ……………., I said to hell with it, and told them all I changed my mind. ………….

Really?, whining about a small amount of work. Amazing.

Thanks! I've been in contact with Highveld/Oxi Logistics, and as I posted on my previous posts, so far I have not received a copy of the insurance certificate, and an explanation of why no one informed me of the limited insurance coverage, which I've asked Oxi Logistics several times . Oxi's fix to my problem is to fix these mounts back to SA and to ship these mounts on my dime or my broker's dime. Which it doesn't make any sense at all. If I would have had the proper insurance coverage or have been given the chance to upgrade or change the coverage, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Not having a copy of the insurance certificate, leads me to believe that there was never any insurance coverage from the beggining.

The crate was damaged in transit by (I assume) the trucking company, and of course this is what Oxi Logistic is using as their scape goat, and the fact that Oxi is stating that my coverage ended the moment these trophies entered the US. I've been a freight forwarder and have shipped goods all over the world. When we quoted insurance coverage to our customers, the coverage was from the point of origin to the final destination, regardless of how many different planes, boat & trucks it went in. Oxi states that my coverage eneded the moment the trophies cleared customs. Now, why was I never informed of this limitation? Why I was never given the option to upgrade/change my coverage? After this expensive hunt, what's another $100-300 to protect your precious trophies? Again, no answer from Oxi.

If and when I go back to Africa, I will have my trophies done in US. I know that accidents can happen any where, but at least we would be in the same continent, and I can better deal with them vs. dealing with someone who is on the other side of the world.

James, you are correct, the workmanship is very marginal, and I've compared these mounts to some of the whitetails I have, and it is night & day the difference. I've learned my lesson and a very costly one, but I guarantee you that I will not make the same mistake twice.

I'm sorry to hear about your shipment. Hope something positive comes out at the end...besides obviously never using their services again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois