Remington 798 (Zastava Mauser) extraction issues - Replacement claw needed?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I'm having an issue with my daughter's Remington 798 (Zastava Mauser 98-style action) in 243 Winchester that has been present ever since I bought the gun off a used rack about three years ago. After firing a cartridge and cycling the bolt, it will very often fail to fully withdraw the fired case from the chamber; usually it just pulls it back about an inch or so, and then releases its grip on the case. I then have to manually remove the spent case from the chamber area. This does not happen EVERY time; sometimes it will properly extract and eject the case, but the issue does occur the majority of the time.

I'm guessing that the extractor claw has somehow become damaged or weakened, although I cannot visibly see any damage when examining it (pictures of the Rem 798 bolt below). As luck would have it, I have another Zastava Mauser bolt action in 308 Win. (an Interarms Mark X); so I am thinking that I might experiment with swapping the Mark X's extractor claw over to the Remington 798 and see if it still has the extraction issue or not. Since both guns are Zastavas with virtually the same action and based off the same case size, I think the extractor claws should be interchangeable; but we'll see. If the other extractor solves the issue, then I guess I just need a replacement for the original one.

In the meantime, does anyone else have an alternative idea of what might be causing this issue? Thanks!

243Bolt1.jpg

243Bolt2.jpg

243Bolt3.jpg

243Bolt4.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried changing the ammo (or casing brand if you reload)?

My guess is that Bubba did a little smithing after reading that a Mauser extractor won’t let you single feed direct into the chamber. Didn’t work out so it got traded off. I think you’re on the right track by swapping with your .308 for a test run.

Have you tried changing the ammo (or casing brand if you reload)?
I've run a few different types of Hornady and Federal ammo through this rifle, and doesn't seem to make a difference. And I've run that same ammo through another 243 that I have (based on a Sake L579 action) and it feeds flawlessly. I really think it's an issue with the extractor and not the ammo, but I'll know soon enough.

My guess is that Bubba did a little smithing after reading that a Mauser extractor won’t let you single feed direct into the chamber. Didn’t work out so it got traded off. I think you’re on the right track by swapping with your .308 for a test run.
Agreed; that was my first thought. I suspect a previous owner did not really understand the Mauser 98 style action, and rammed that extractor claw over a case rim one too many times. Once I get some time to swap out and test the claw extractors, I'll know for sure.

I really think it's an issue with the extractor and not the ammo, but I'll know soon enough.
This is reasonable to assume.

A bit of surprise on my side, I lived under false assumption that exported zastava rifles (interarms), or zastava barrelled actions (remington 798) were of higher quality and with better factory quality control. Obviously, it is not always like that.
On local market there are all kinds of lemons, but also a good ones.

The pic of the extractor looks unaltered to me, change them over & see what happens ,Rebel Gun works in Brisbane Australia had Zastava m98 308 extractors for sale recently. there is a u tube video on how to increase the tension on a m98 extractor may be that is what is needed?.

I agree that extractor does not look altered. It does appear to be intended to snap over on rounds dropped in the chamber, hence the beveled face on claw.

Remove the bolt and push a cartridge up into bolt face under the claw. A loaded cartridge should just hang in place ... just barely. I'm guessing it will fall out instantly. If so, you can try adding some spring tension to the claw. To remove the claw check videos on the web. It's easy. Once it's removed gently bend it so it's bowed out a bit from the bolt. That may do the trick. Bend it a bit, then do the drop test. Hopefully it will pass and hold the loaded cartridge ... just barely. Then try cycling. If you can't adjust enough to make the claw hold, you'll need to replace it. Good luck.

I had the exact opposite problem with my Czech Mauser build and got good results relieving some of the spring tension. Actually, very good results. That standard Mauser action now cycles 404 Jeffery cartridges slick as glass.

Thanks and that sounds like a good idea; I will give it a try (and report back). Much appreciated! :)

I also wondered if perhaps that beveled face on the extractor means that it was designed to snap over a cartridge rim in the chamber and still be ok.

Bend in or out from bolt? Seems bending the claw end in toward bolt body would have desired effect of increased purchase... this would simultaneously bend the central portion of the extractor outward away from the bolt body. The trick is bending in the least resistive portion of the extractor for desired effect of increased purchase of the claw. Take care as they are spring steel so can break :)

Anyway, could the bolt face have been opened up for a magnum sized case head at one time? A correct fit would be just enough clearance to fit flush against the face without binding in the extractor or against the opposing rim of the bolt head. And as @Ontario Hunter suggested, try it to see how a cartridge head fits and is held.

Last edited:
The extractor seems to be holding a loaded cartridge pretty well, though not entirely flush. I can tilt this side to side without the cartridge falling out. This is without me doing any bending of the extractor.

20231116_210537.jpg

I went ahead and pulled the extractor claw off to get a better look. Take a look at these pics. I don't really like the looks of that missing metal.

20231116_211547.jpg

20231116_211547.jpg

Attachments

• 20231116_211547.jpg
    20231116_211547.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 24
Here are some other pictures that compare the problematic extractor from the Remington 798 on the left to a known good extractor from my Interarms Mark X 308 Win on the right.

20231116_213427.jpg

20231116_213259.jpg

20231116_213318.jpg

20231116_214053.jpg

20231116_214044.jpg

Bend in or out from bolt? Seems bending the claw end in toward bolt body would have desired effect of increased purchase... this would simultaneously bend the central portion of the extractor outward away from the bolt body. The trick is bending in the least resistive portion of the extractor for desired effect of increased purchase of the claw. Take care as they are spring steel so can break :)

Anyway, could the bolt face have been opened up for a magnum sized case head at one time? A correct fit would be just enough clearance to fit flush against the face without binding in the extractor or against the opposing rim of the bolt head. And as @Ontario Hunter suggested, try it to see how a cartridge head fits and is held.
No, bending it out away from the bolt will increase the tension of claw against the rim. Okay ... let me have another look at my gun ... yes. Push the center of the extractor against the bolt and you'll see the claw lift away from the cartridge rim. So to increase its grip on the rim, the opposite needs to occur. Gently pry the extractor up away from the bolt and you'll see the claw move ever so slightly in towards the bolt face.

Thinking back now, I remember that I also had to carve a tiny bit from the outside edges of the pivot at the opposite end of the extractor. It clearly was not the same arch as the bolt. Not surprising as this action was obviously cobbled together with parts from different guns. The extractor has a curious anchor stamped on one end. Trueing that pivot up to match the bolt also relieved some of the tension on the extractor (which was bowed out significantly). It originally had so much tension that I couldn't remove the extractor without prying it off with a screwdriver. They are supposed to slip off with simple finger pressure against the center of extractor (mine does now). Snap over was inconsistent and shells feeding from magazine were not loading smoothly.

For comparison, here's an extractor and bolt face that has been significantly Bubba-ized ... by me. It started out life as an 8mm bolt face that I transformed into 404 Jeffery. Maybe not pretty but it works ... flawlessly.
20231019_130950.jpg

20231019_131052.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some other pictures that compare the problematic extractor from the Remington 798 on the left to a known good extractor from my Interarms Mark X 308 Win on the right.

View attachment 569770

View attachment 569771

View attachment 569772

View attachment 569773

View attachment 569774
It's hard to pass judgment based on comparing two extractors from two different guns. The bolts are not likely to be the same. Anyone will tell you (and I know all too well from my limited experience) Mausers are not all the same, even if they are 98 pattern. Parts are not always interchangeable. The claw on the Remington does appear to be thinner but that would only make a difference if the retaining grooves carved into both bolts are exactly in the same place (the ridge below the claw snaps into bolt retaining groove).

The extractor seems to be holding a loaded cartridge pretty well, though not entirely flush. I can tilt this side to side without the cartridge falling out. This is without me doing any bending of the extractor.

View attachment 569763
Hmmm. Not what I expected.

Not entirely flush? With what? Does the cartridge rim go to the top of the bolt face?

Load a shell and then open the bolt and slowly bring it back. Look into the ejection/loading port. Where is the extractor claw on the rim? Is it gripping it all the way or just on the edge of rim?

One final question: are you reloading and full length resizing?

It's hard to pass judgment based on comparing two extractors from two different guns. The bolts are not likely to be the same. Anyone will tell you (and I know all too well from my limited experience) Mausers are not all the same, even if they are 98 pattern. Parts are not always interchangeable. The claw on the Remington does appear to be thinner but that would only make a difference if the retaining grooves carved into both bolts are exactly in the same place (the ridge below the claw snaps into bolt retaining groove).
The reason I was comparing them is that they were both made by Zastava for the same size bolt face, albeit about 35 years apart. The bolt from the Mark X seems to fit the Remington almost perfectly, though i certainly won't try firing it that way. However, i will do some of the other tests you suggested, using each of the extractor claws on the Remington bolt. With the Remington extractor claw in place, the cartridge rim does go to the top of the bolt face; however it's just not held as tightly as when i put the Mark X extractor claw on there. With the Mark X claw, it almost feels like to cartridge gently snaps in and out of place with a definitive click. The Remington claw feels much looser.

In answer to your other question, yes, these are reloads with Hornady cases and I full-length resize.

I went ahead and pulled the extractor claw off to get a better look. Take a look at these pics. I don't really like the looks of that missing metal.

View attachment 569766
View attachment 569768
I agree. The groove at both top and bottom behind the claw is suspicious. But then that extractor is overall very roughly machined compared to the other one. Could just be crude machining. I am surprised the removed bolt held a loaded cartridge.

The reason I was comparing them is that they were both made by Zastava for the same size bolt face, albeit about 35 years apart. The bolt from the Mark X seems to fit the Remington almost perfectly, though i certainly won't try firing it that way. However, i will do some of the other tests you suggested, using each of the extractor claws on the Remington bolt. With the Remington extractor claw in place, the cartridge rim does go to the top of the bolt face; however it's just not held as tightly as when i put the Mark X extractor claw on there. With the Mark X claw, it almost feels like to cartridge gently snaps in and out of place with a definitive click. The Remington claw feels much looser.

In answer to your other question, yes, these are reloads with Hornady cases and I full-length resize.
I would say go ahead and put the Mark X extractor on the Remington bolt and see how it cycles. You can always push the shell out with a cleaning rod if it doesn't extract. If you want to be super safe, load a couple of duds with no primer or powder and cycle those. I pretty much wore out the brass on three duds before I got the loading correct on my Mauser build. There is no safety issue firing that gun with a different extractor. Might have to push out the empty brass if it doesn't extract but that's not a big deal.

Well, using dummy rounds, wouldn't hurt either in testing the rifle functions....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MellissaLe

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.