Reloading For Buffalo

My go-to 458WM buffalo load is a 480gn Woodleigh RNSN over 74gn AR2206H, lightly compressed. From memory it runs about 2160fps. Used it on a few water buffalo now as well as scrub bull and cape buffalo. It has certainly done the job.

The below bullet was recovered from the bull pictured, in Arnhemland 2021. It weighs 462gn or 96% retention, and was found on the offside skin. Outstanding performance in my books. ;)

20210922_114208.jpg
20210922_114229.jpg
IMG_1238.jpg

No 570 grain Swift A Frames
I would use Woodley if you could find them. In all my other DR before the factory burned that was my preferred bullet. Also I have to be careful and not shoot anything but softer bullets such as Hornady solids And Swift A Frames out of my Westley Richards given it was made in 1908 and although proofed for more modern powders and bullets @rookhawk recommended the above bullets so that is what I use so I do not ruin the barrels

Nice, heavy for calibre and still up there with velocity, similar to what I did with my 450 Rigby. You won't be disappointed this will be a ripper load for buffalo!
I should have taken this load to Mozambique August past, but used Norma factory 416 Rigby loaded with 400g swift aframe, worked out well as I shot Buffalo, Nyala and warthog with this load, it worked very well as a one gun safari.

My go-to 458WM buffalo load is a 480gn Woodleigh RNSN over 74gn AR2206H, lightly compressed. From memory it runs about 2160fps. Used it on a few water buffalo now as well as scrub bull and cape buffalo. It has certainly done the job.

The below bullet was recovered from the bull pictured, in Arnhemland 2021. It weighs 462gn or 96% retention, and was found on the offside skin. Outstanding performance in my books. ;)

View attachment 502163View attachment 502164View attachment 502165
Perfect! And a nice wide bull

I would use Woodley if you could find them. In all my other DR before the factory burned that was my preferred bullet. Also I have to be careful and not shoot anything but softer bullets such as Hornady solids And Swift A Frames out of my Westley Richards given it was made in 1908 and although proofed for more modern powders and bullets @rookhawk recommended the above bullets so that is what I use so I do not ruin the barrels
Woodleigh will be back up and running son, though may take some time to find their product on the shelves again.

Woodleigh will be back up and running son, though may take some time to find their product on the shelves again.
I recently received a shipment of woodleigh .450gr .404J bullets (I’m in USA & had to get import permit)if you are in Australia I can give you the contact of a Woodleigh Stockist in Victoria that has various bullets in stock.

Those bullets are not bonded, looks like the original non-bonded DGX IMO.

May be,

...because I still had a lot of older bullets from Hornady in stock and have loaded these again. I had no problems to shot buffalos with it. I have now switched to the 500gr PP SN Bullets from Woodleigh.

I shot buffalos with different cartridges, especially big calibers, and therefore used very different bullets, from the old thin-walled SP or FMJ to the most modern like TSX or A-Frame. A optimal impact velocity and a good shot placement, and there were no problems. Modern bullets certainly offer some advantages, especially when things don't go as planned, but also not in all cases.

400 Grain Swift A Frames from my 404J recovered from two cape buffalo that I shot in Sept - Oct of this year...

Single shot kill at 80 yards through the shoulder... dead within 10 yards.
SAF from Buff2.JPG

Two shoulder shots from about 60 yards... both shoulders shattered & bullet recovered from marrow in upper leg bone - dead with 50 yards
Buff 1 SAF.jpg

400 Grain Swift A Frames from my 404J recovered from two cape buffalo that I shot in Sept - Oct of this year...

Single shot kill at 80 yards through the shoulder... dead within 10 yards.
View attachment 502945

Two shoulder shots from about 60 yards... both shoulders shattered & bullet recovered from marrow in upper leg bone - dead with 50 yards
View attachment 502947
Gotta love an A-frame, nothing wrong with that performance!

Also a Fan of the performance of CEB bullets.. and they are very kind to older double rifles
Last Cape Buff I shot was with my Gibbs 450NE shooting 480gr Solids at 2150 and 450gr Raptors at 2200fps
A previous Cape was shot using my 400H&H and CEB bullets 4500gr Solid at 2400fps and their 370gr Raptor at 2480
Partook in a Buffalo Cull hunt in Australia's Northern Territories using a 458 Lott shooting both Barnes 450's and CEB 450's The CEB's performance was noticeably better than the Barnes but the with a greater BC was the goto bullet for shots longer than 200yards
I'm heading to Zim this August with a 505 Gibbs loaded with CEB 525gr Solids and 485gr Raptors
Where in Zim and who are you going with...if you don't mind my asking. Going on my first African hunt in Aug also in Zim... if eyes and health hold out.

I've hunted with Roger Whittall Safari for 3 trips once in the Zambezi Valley and twice in the Save. I am very fond of the Saveas it is very game rich. Cannot say enough about my experiences with The Whittall family and all they do to make your African experience a memorable one

We’re loaded up for 2 different 375 Ruger loads. CEB Safari Raptors 275gr TSG at 2650fps and Hammer Bullets 299gr ShockHammer at 2600 fps. Ready to hunt 3 in weeks…

B897D411-7A49-4E46-9C27-6B7305539CC4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
KimBuff.jpg
Kimbuff2.jpg
Kimbuff3.jpg

Tried a new bullet SBC - Safari Bullet Company in South Africa last year on cow buff its basically a solid shank proper bonded bullet. One show on the cow above. Distance was 35 meters stick in her body was entry hole. Had to put it in as blood was pumping out.
Exit was on oppsite shoulder and showed good expansion.

Bullet exited so have not recovered a 500gr bullet out of an animal yet will hopefully get one when huntng cows again in June.

My load in 458 Lott 81.5Gr of Norma 203B powder total lenght of cartridge 92.5mm running at 2200fps.

Photo below is of two 300gr 375 H&H bullets recovered from lioness running at 2460fps

lion-bullet-SBC2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RLL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusM4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you