Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am running low of H4831, which I use for the 308 Norma Mag, and I found that the local shop is too. So, I am going to give Reloader 19 a shot as it is used in the Woodleigh and Nosler manuals. Probably smart in this climate to have alternatives anyways. Any thoughts on this powder? The company is Swiss it seems.

It’s magical stuff. Remember, it’s often used in guns that also use 4350.

the difference? All things being equal, the powder that requires the least amount of grain charge to achieve the velocity has less recoil.

Put another way, it kicks less than IMR4350

Its burn rate is more similar to IMR4831, AA3100 or Ramshot Hunter. Good stuff if you can find any.
It’s magical stuff. Remember, it’s often used in guns that also use 4350.

the difference? All things being equal, the powder that requires the least amount of grain charge to achieve the velocity has less recoil.

Put another way, it kicks less than IMR4350
My experience is quite different. It being slower than 4350 and it is, it takes more powder to achieve the same velocity and that would negate any felt recoil difference if one even existed. No one can tell the difference in recoil in a few grains of powder one way or the other, or as Jack O'Conner might say, "only a guru of heightened awareness would notice:.

Reloader or Reloder?

I think the latter is the correct spelling of the product line, but it gets misspelled by autocorrect a lot. Even in company ads, you see it spelled both ways.

1602418138145.png

Another Alliant powder to consider, if available, would be 4000MR. I use it with the 300WM & 180gr AF. When it first came out I talked with a tech at Alliant, he thought to have a burn rate between RL19 & RL22. I have had good luck with the powder in 300WM, 6mm Rem & 8x68s.

I have used it in my 338 win mag with good results

I use it in 308 win, mostly for loads I run in a gas gun. It is very useful and one of the powders I try to stockpile.

I use it in 308 win, mostly for loads I run in a gas gun. It is very useful and one of the powders I try to stockpile.
What type of gas gun? Not an M14 type I hope.. or an M1.

I think Rel 19 is listed as a good powder for the 308 NM. Just not many of those around :)
Some of my best 30-06 loads with 165 and 180 gr bullets have been with Rel 19. Common for folks who have pet loads with IMR 4350 to sooner or later try Reloder 19. I certainly would give it a try in the Norma Mag if H4831 or H4831SC became nonexistent.

If I hadn't consolidated and simplified all my powders into primarily a selection of Hodgdon Extremes, Reloder 19 would be one of the top contenders for most used and most useful for my calibers.

Last edited:
NM? What is that? NM usually means National Match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross