Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NAHC, NRA, ATA, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
Africa, Costa Rica, Peru, Canada, USA
Good morning All...

As As many of you know South African Airways (SAA) is basically default at this point and not functioning. I had a hunt planned for April 2020 and still cannot get anyone on the phone from South African airways in order to assist me or the travel agent in refunding two tickets.

I have discussed this with SCI, written letters to SAA(unanswered), and Global Rescue... none of which provided an answer that was viable in getting my refund for 2 tickets to Johannesburg from the United States.

Global Rescue stated that I would have had to have the entire hunt in default, including money paid to the outfitter (who was not at fault in any way) canceled in its entirety in order to get any type of refund or assistance from them. As the outfitter was not at fault, I could not ask them to return money for something that was not their fault. They were kind enough to extend the hunt to another season.

Because of the COVID pandemic I am still unsure as to whether a hunt in Africa would be viable in 2022.

Regardless I have 2 tickets sitting out there with an airline that is not answering calls and appears to be DEFUNCT. As I went through my bank who was basically useless because I paid through the bank to South African airways to book these flights, I thought this would be a more secure method than using a credit card. I was wrong in every instance and the bank was not helpful. I have since basically liquidated all accounts with Citizens Bank in the United States and hope others will do the same.

SCI was surprisingly useless when I posed this scenario to them. The customer service person didn't even know that there was a problem with South African airways! Since then I've lost a lot of respect in SCI which I thought was out to also help hunters and not just sell glossy magazines about other's hunts. By Now I would have thought there was some type of class action suit against South African airways on an International level as so many hunters have been affected by this downturn in this major airline to South Africa.

If there is anyone else has/is facing similar problem with SAA I would like recommendations as to how I can further attempt to get a refund on tickets from South African airways.

Thanks,
Charles

Good morning Charles. Have you paid for the airfare with your credit card? If so I recommend talking with your credit card company/bank for the refund.

Regards,

They automatically provided credit for future flights for my tickets which most likely won't happen.

Have you cancelled your flights with SAA?

Cancel a Booking: https://www.flysaa.com/manage-fly/manage/booking-management/cancel-a-booking?inheritRedirect=true

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 10.03.38 AM.png

From: https://www.flysaa.com/flight-suspension-policy?inheritRedirect=true
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 10.01.20 AM.png

Read the note in above document:
Note:
This procedure over-rides our standard Conditions of Carriage pertaining to Refunds and Ticket Validity

The updated policy applies across SAA’s route network, including domestic, regional and international flights

To demonstrate our care, the policy provides for changes for a period that extends beyond the industry norm (where ordinarily tickets are valid for 6 months only for domestic travel and 12 months only for international travel). This time, the tickets are valid until 2022

We are unale to assist with refunds at this time of business rescue. Please retain your ticket as it would be used as a credit when we are back.

Attachments

• U.S. Customer Commitment.pdf
    260.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
As stated, I paid Through Citizens Bank directly to South African airways.... Therefore I did not use a credit card.

I have written to them to request the Refund to their emailAddress pertaining to refunds. I have also called both the Fort Lauderdale office and their headquarters in South Africa and no one is picking up.. Or has picked up since April 2020.

I am at a loss as to what to do. Is there an International Agency that deals with issues like this which all appear to be borderline fraud?

This is a Big 5 hunt and there's a lot of money that has been spent already… therefore I will have to buy new tickets through another airline to make this happen. I am not happy about any of this…

Please assist. I am all in for an International class action suit if it comes down to that.

Thanks,
Charles

Have you cancelled your flight, so that you may receive a refund.

All...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have reached out to my travel agent to review this thread and to act on the cancelation and continued effort to refund my money.

I will keep you updated on the events as they occur.

Thanks,
Charles
Member NRA, SCI, RMEF, etc.

From the looks of things here, SAA might be getting a bail out from the gov. Perhaps follow that and see what happens.
Might make it easier to get a refund if they do get the bail out

As stated, I paid Through Citizens Bank directly to South African airways.... Therefore I did not use a credit card.

Sorry about that Charles. I did not read your original post thoroughly enough re: credit card.

Regards,

Good morning All...

As As many of you know South African Airways (SAA) is basically default at this point and not functioning. I had a hunt planned for April 2020 and still cannot get anyone on the phone from South African airways in order to assist me or the travel agent in refunding two tickets.

I have discussed this with SCI, written letters to SAA(unanswered), and Global Rescue... none of which provided an answer that was viable in getting my refund for 2 tickets to Johannesburg from the United States.

Global Rescue stated that I would have had to have the entire hunt in default, including money paid to the outfitter (who was not at fault in any way) canceled in its entirety in order to get any type of refund or assistance from them. As the outfitter was not at fault, I could not ask them to return money for something that was not their fault. They were kind enough to extend the hunt to another season.

Because of the COVID pandemic I am still unsure as to whether a hunt in Africa would be viable in 2022.

Regardless I have 2 tickets sitting out there with an airline that is not answering calls and appears to be DEFUNCT. As I went through my bank who was basically useless because I paid through the bank to South African airways to book these flights, I thought this would be a more secure method than using a credit card. I was wrong in every instance and the bank was not helpful. I have since basically liquidated all accounts with Citizens Bank in the United States and hope others will do the same.

SCI was surprisingly useless when I posed this scenario to them. The customer service person didn't even know that there was a problem with South African airways! Since then I've lost a lot of respect in SCI which I thought was out to also help hunters and not just sell glossy magazines about other's hunts. By Now I would have thought there was some type of class action suit against South African airways on an International level as so many hunters have been affected by this downturn in this major airline to South Africa.

If there is anyone else has/is facing similar problem with SAA I would like recommendations as to how I can further attempt to get a refund on tickets from South African airways.

Thanks,
Charles
I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I can only state the obvious and that is you must use a credit card for these kinds of transactions. This is THE only way you would have any recourse.
Barbara Crown is the person you must speak to at SCI for these type of things. I do not think it is fair for your to criticize SCI on this issue however.
Philip

I’m having the same issues with SAA. I posted another thread before I saw this one. I just have one booking for myself but it’s still frustrating. I did use a credit card but did not call them in the 60 days they give you to depute the claim. I really didn’t know where this was all going and really still don’t. So making the 60 days wasn’t going to work. Credit card company shot me down so unless a miracle happens I too may be SOL. My African outfitter has been great to me. This was a special deal I was working with him so I never sent him a deposit. But I did tell him I wouldn’t be spending on another plane fare if I couldn’t get this worked out.

I dont see them taking off soon....not as SAA anyway.......

I dont see them taking off soon....not as SAA anyway.......
Yea I believe you are right. And we all know how things go when any kind of government gets involved

Unfortuanately many things are going one way here and that is down....too much corruprion and bailouts, Transnet, Eskom, SAA, Health System, Municipalities, Etc. Etc. Etc.....

Unfortuanately many things are going one way here and that is down....too much corruprion and bailouts, Transnet, Eskom, SAA, Health System, Municipalities, Etc. Etc. Etc.....
Do you think there is any hope for this airline getting up and running again?

Hope is clutching at straws....there is no plan....
My opinion...No....maybe something else....

South African Airways stated in a briefing a few weeks ago (Nov 2021) that it is starting to reimburse customers who I've been affected by covid and could not go on their trip. Has anyone been reimbursed yet?... I surely have not.

My travel agent stated she is on top of it.

Good morning All...

Thanks,
Charles
Good day Charles.
1.) Do your safari, it’s viable and will take place, you can travel to SA and back.
2.)I have a friend in Michigan who has been given a time frame to use his miles on SAA and he’s coming on safari in May.

I’ll check with him and provide some feedback. I honestly feel you can forget about a refund, None of the big airlines offered a refund during the recent Southern African travel ban Emirates, Qatar etc.
Let me check if I can get some info, and please if you are able to travel support your outfitter these guys have been battling to stay sane and strong.

losing two marketing seasons in a row is no small matter either.
My best always
Jaco Strauss.

Reactions: WAB
South African Airways stated in a briefing a few weeks ago (Nov 2021) that it is starting to reimburse customers who I've been affected by covid and could not go on their trip. Has anyone been reimbursed yet?... I surely have not.

My travel agent stated she is on top of it.
I got refunded for my tickets including seat upgrades for flights that was in 2020.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg