Reflex Sights on Dangerous Game Rifles

I have a Blaser R8 416 rem mag with Burris fast fire on std blaser quick detach mounts, only clips into one hole of the 2 you would use for a conventional scope and its never gone out of centre. plus I remove it every time I pack my weapon up and take apart to fit in the case
been my go to gun for backup for 7 years now
never had an issue, only replaced the battery once

I agree its not classical lines but it works great

View attachment 217529

Red dot sight vs Holographic sight-Top Red Dot Sights
The age-old dilemma: red dot sight vs holographic sight. There are people who think that one is better than the other. And then there are people who don’t even recognize the difference between the 2 sights well enough to debate about it.

https://topreddotsights.com/red-dot-sight-vs-holographic-sight

I think both probably serve different purposes.. and either would be a good choice..

A small reflex sight would be excellent on a double I would think (I dont know for sure.. I've never tried it.. but I have seen quite a few used on doubles and the owners seem happy with them).. and they are certainly smaller and lighter than prism sights..

What I like about the 9000L though (or the 9000SC if you are mounting on a standard length action) is that it is held on with 2x 30mm rings just like a scope, and has the same familiarity as a traditional scope (tube), but has the speed, eye relief, and parallax free benefit of a "red dot"...

If you use QR rings, you could use a variable powered optic when going after PG, then swap out for a 9000L in QR rings when you are ready to chase DG, and then if/when you need to remove the optic altogether and go with irons you can do that too...

This is my plan with my .375 H&H.. I've currently got a 3-9x42 zeiss optic on it that I used for PG last year.. I intend on using the same rifle in 2019 for buffalo.. Ill be taking the zeiss variable scope and a 9000L with me on that trip.. hopefully once the buff is taken care of I'll have some time to chase a couple of PG and will be all set with one rifle for the trip..

Breathing a little life into this thread as many of us with aging eyes look for something better than irons.

To that end I am looking at Red Dots or Holographic sights for the 416RM barrel on the R8.
This will be used almost exclusively for DG at less than 100 yards.

The Dept of Finance has approved the purchase of an Aimpoint Micro H-2 (2 MOA) in a Contessa QD mount.
I'm sure I can come up with something else, but this is the way I'm leaning at the moment.
Looking to keep the price under $1K for the optic and mount as well.
Anyone care to weigh in?

To each their own BeeMaa, but reflex sights are head & shoulders superior over "tube" sights to shoot quickly with both eyes open. FYI, the US SOCOM (Special Ops Command) has completely moved away from the "tube" red dot sights toward reflex and holographic sights (EOTech). They are consistently faster in close quarter fast action, which you might have in mind re. .416 and buff (?)

I have a Docter III on my .458 Lott, but sighting it is not the easiest because one first needs to loosen a lock screw before adjusting it. On the other end, it is rock solid and keeps its zero, even on my too-light .458 Lott that kicks like a freaking mule... I believe that the Trijicon RMR 2 is likely one of the best currently, although I have never tried Zeiss etc.
This is what I would put on that R8 .416 barrel if I went that route....
RMR 2 and H 2 are likely around the same price (~$700)...

This being said, a .416 Rem is not a .458 Lott, and it is still usable on combo hunts. I have a Schmidt & bender 1.25-4x20 scope, soon to be replaced by a Leica 1-4x24 scope (shorter ocular AND longer eye relief) on my .416 Rigby. This is much more versatile I believe for a .416...

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Breathing a little life into this thread as many of us with aging eyes look for something better than irons.

To that end I am looking at Red Dots or Holographic sights for the 416RM barrel on the R8.
This will be used almost exclusively for DG at less than 100 yards.

The Dept of Finance has approved the purchase of an Aimpoint Micro H-2 (2 MOA) in a Contessa QD mount.
I'm sure I can come up with something else, but this is the way I'm leaning at the moment.
Looking to keep the price under $1K for the optic and mount as well.
Anyone care to weigh in?

Docter or Kahles

The Aimpoint Micro series are beasts!!!!

I tried using the iron sights on my 375 H&H double, but couldn't focus on the front sight. A Trijicon RMR 3.25 moa did the trick. I can shoot tight groupings with the double now and have used it on two trips to Africa to take Cape Buffalo and Nyala. I'm completely sold on the Trijicon RMR and also put one on my Beretta M9A3 9mm pistol. I recently purchased a 416 Rigby and considered the RMR again, but went with a Leupold VX6HD 1-6X24. Setting the scope on "1" and turning on the red dot makes the scope function like a RMR sight, but I have the option to turn it up to "6" for shooting longer distances.
Red dot sights and scopes are a great help in low light and especially with black animals like Cape Buffalo or Sable. The red dot makes accurate aiming much easier than black cross hairs in the scope.

The Aimpoint H2 and Trijicon RMR are in the hunt.
Slight edge to the Trijicon for keeping it slim and tough.

Looking at mounting a RMR sight on my 404 Winchester Model 70. I would like to use a QD mount and get it low. Do any of you have experiences with a good QD mount? I have been thinking of using a Warne front base. I would assume that I need to have it higher than my iron sights? I have used reflex sights quite a bit on my turkey guns but haven't dealt with mounting it to a rifle in conjunction with irons.
Thanks for the help
Ed

Looking at mounting a RMR sight on my 404 Winchester Model 70. I would like to use a QD mount and get it low. Do any of you have experiences with a good QD mount? I have been thinking of using a Warne front base. I would assume that I need to have it higher than my iron sights? I have used reflex sights quite a bit on my turkey guns but haven't dealt with mounting it to a rifle in conjunction with irons.
Thanks for the help
Ed

Optimal but pricey would be to have german claw mounts made and inletted into the rear of action at the back, and at the barrel in a low "saddle mount". This would let you use scopes too of course, but is a $1500 mount easily. The beauty is, that the ultra low reflex mounts use that front saddle for their mounting location and it gets the sight properly forward and extremely low. That mount for the reflex is another $300-$350.

Barring that, I would look on the EAW and Rechnagel websites and their 300 page catalogs. Reading German is helpful! They surely make the lowest mount for a standard reflex sight that is possible. It may have its own base mount for the action and the "ring" (a plate actually) for the reflex sight as well. Ideally, if its just going to use a reflex mount, you want it on the front of the action, not the back. They are your sources for what is possible. If you find a solution and a part number, Mark Cromwell at New England Custom Gun can import it for you in 2-3 weeks direct from Germany.

There you go, that's the way forward.

Rookhawk, thanks did a quick look through Rechnagle and found mounts for Doctor and Aimpoint. Quite a vast list of parts. Appreciate the ideas and resources.
Ed

Eotech on my .500 MDM worked for me. It was a bit high so I mounted it a bit forward of the gun.

a1dCQHgl.jpg

Attachments

• a1dCQHgl.jpg
    a1dCQHgl.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 114
I have experience with a Aimpoint Hunter 34L on 9.3x62 & .416 Taylor. This sight used with both eyes open is very fast when taking running game, useful to older gents like me where iron sights get a bit indistinct. I used this sight to take 40kg pig at 150m..... easy! Lack of magnification aids confidence as it does not magnify ones shakes when shooting offhand, 80% of my shots. I have used the micro series on other guys rifles, they are probably more flexible in terms of options however I prefer the tube series.
Because DG rifles operate at shorter ranges I think quality red dots make excellent sense!

I have the new Kahles on my .470 K Gun. It’s really neat and since it’s so small it doesn’t ruin the look of the classic double like others do.
Philip

I hadn't noticed this thread, but durning our honeymoon safari with @KMG Hunting Safaris , I was talking with Marius about scope recommendations for my CZ 550, .416 Rigby. Marius turned me on to the idea of these. I has a Vortex Venom already mounted on one of the AR's so I swapped it to Fluffy, did a bunch of shooting with it and absolutely loved it for my elephant hunt with @Nyamazana Safaris safaris. I was nervous as I was afraid the battery might die at an inopportune time. @Just Gina did an amazing job videoing the tracking/stalk and you can see me raise the rifle and check to make sure the sight was still on. I need not have worried because it worked wonderfully!

Eotech on my .500 MDM worked for me. It was a bit high so I mounted it a bit forward of the gun.

a1dCQHgl.jpg
Love to see a rifle made correctly! (LH) LOL Who made it for you?

Love to see a rifle made correctly! (LH) LOL Who made it for you?

The action was by Montana rifles, SSK industries barreled the rifle and Accurate Innovations made the stock.

Montana is defunct now, but Deviant Machine makes left handed CRF actions.

The action was by Montana rifles, SSK industries barreled the rifle and Accurate Innovations made the stock.

Montana is defunct now, but Deviant Machine makes left handed CRF actions.
Yup pretty much know most of the LH sources out there, just curious because you don't see the MDM much and it looked like a builder that used to be here in Maine from the style

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg