Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I'll be going after hippo in 2020 along the Zambezi River.

I've seen several nice rifles for sale on here, but haven't decided which caliber to get.

Any recommendations as which caliber is best: .375, .416 or .458?
The shot could be at a hippo in the water or on land.

I'll be taking my 30-06 along for PG: gemsbuck, blue wildebeest, warthog, jackal and baboon.

I'd say .375 or .416, but to add on that I'd say whichever one you shoot best. Shot mine with a .375 with .300 Grain A Frames in water, and no problems there!

Which caliber rifle is the most accurate in your hands?

Which caliber rifle is the most accurate in your hands?

This. ^^^^

At the distances you're likely to take a shot, assuming a 100 yard zero, the ballistic arc on a brain shot won't change by more than a couple tenths of an inch between fastest and slowest of that lot.

I have used both .375 and .416 for brain shots on hippo. I would say .375 is my preference. If you hunt one on land it changes in my opinion to .416 or larger.
It is a very exciting hunt and I wish you the best!
Philip

375 or any of the 40Cal+ that you shoot well. The brain is a bit larger than a shot on a croc, it requires a accurate shot. I used a 450/400 with a 400gr swift A-frame

.375 H& H Magnum. It won't let you down for Brain shots. If you were to opt for the body shot , l would say .458 Winchester Magnum.
Have no experience with the .416 but heard only good stuff about it.

I'd say .375 or .416, but to add on that I'd say whichever one you shoot best. Shot mine with a .375 with .300 Grain A Frames in water, and no problems there!

Same here! Use the one you are most comfortable with.

Having never had an opportunity to shoot either of these 3 calibers. I have no idea which of these to settle on.

I'm seriously considering the Winchester model 70 in 416 win mag. over 416 Rigby or a CZ 550 safari in 416.

Should recoil be a problem I''ll add a mercury recoil reducer to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois