Rechambering to .416 Ruger

2L8

AH veteran
Reaction score
I recently bought a Howa 1500 .338 Win Mag. It was in unfired condition and stupid cheap. Problem is Im not really enamored of the caliber.

I know some here have experience with converting the Short Mags (.264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag etc.) to the Ruger Mags. What has been your experience? How much work to make it feed correctly?

Considering having JES rebore and rechamber the Howa to .416 Ruger.

I recently bought a Howa 1500 .338 Win Mag. It was in unfired condition and stupid cheap. Problem is Im not really enamored of the caliber.

I know some here have experience with converting the Short Mags (.264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag etc.) to the Ruger Mags. What has been your experience? How much work to make it feed correctly?

Considering having JES rebore and rechamber the Howa to .416 Ruger.
It depends on the weight of the rifle. I have a .416 ruger and, let me tell you... anything under 8lbs is going to be beat the snot out of you. I know some people are more tolerant of recoil than me so If you want to do it, that is your prerogative. I would personally add enough weight to bring the whole rifle with scope and all up to about 10 lbs. 5,000+ ft-lbs is a lot in a lightweight rifle designed for a cartridge that produces only 3,500 ft-lbs.

Howa 1500 .338 Win Mag (Unfired)
Warne Maxima Steel 2 pc Bases
Warne Maxima Steel Low Mounts
Leupold VX1 2-7x33
9 lb (4.1 kg)
$300 USD

JES Rebore and Rechamber (Highly Reputable in USA)
$225 USD

That's $525 USD into the whole rig. I figured that's worth it to play with the caliber if it's not going to be a major headache and lot's of gunsmithing to get it to feed.

This wouldn't be intended as a serious rifle. I have a Weatherby Pre-Mark V (FN Mauser) and Browning Hipower Safari (FN Mauser) for that.

Just thought that was the biggest caliber I can possibly cram into it without undue difficulty. .416 Chatfield-Taylor is another option (Maybe better from a function standpoint) but the scarcity and price of factory ammo and headstamped cases (Just in case) is an issue.

Keep the Howa in 338 WM and learn to love it, as it is a great caliber. If you still want a 416 Ruger, go buy one for $1000 or less. Probably not a whole lot more than rechambering or converting.

if You do it let us know how it turns out please

i wouldnt think you could open up a 338 barrel to 416 unless Howa rifles use extra thick barrels. even if you can, the problem your going to run into is the gun is going to be entirely too light. you will need to add quite a bit of weight to make the rifle comfortable to shoot.

-matt

It's a Medium Sporter Barrel and isnt much different than my .375 Weatherby Southgate. Maybe even a touch heavier given the smaller scope on the .375 Wby.

.620 Muzzle Diameter (according to the Specifications which reminds me I need to measure to confirm). By comparison a factory CZ in 9.3x62 is around .558 so has a diameter of 0.192" more than bullet diameter.

JES wants a minimum diameter of .200" more than caliber which limits me to .420" Bullet Diameter.

I'm more worried about feeding issues.

Last edited:
I appreciate the thought but I've already seen it. I'm contemplating it.

The conversion is a no go anyway. The factory specs are wrong. It's around 0.600" at the muzzle. Basically would limit me to the .378 Class Cartridges.

.600 at what length? 24"? What is it at 22? Don't forget that option, cut the barrel back and rebore. I don't think Jesse charges much to cut back.

Or leave it @24 and rebore to 375 Ruger. Howa used to offer those

I suspect 0.620". After checking Howa lists the barrel diameter of all #2 Contours
at 0.620" and I suspect that is correct for the 22". Most barrels in that range with a straight taper lose around 0.010 an inch. I will have to measure to confirm.

2L8; Sorry to chime in 2L8 (pun intended) there MAY be an issue with feeding ; the Ruger cases are thicker than belted cases - basically, Ruger takes the belt diameter and runs it to the shoulder, thus created much more VOLUME. Since the 338 Win Mag is belted, there may be an issue with having to open the feed rails to allow 100% reliable feeding.
Now, a Taylor round wouldn't (Shouldn't) have that issue because the Taylor is a 338 necked up or a 458 necked down, thus the diameter of the case isn't changed, just the mouth of the case and the diameter of the bullet.

Bottom line; People try to go in cheap and looking only at current rates and best prices off the internet (I can buy this barrel for $150") the forget that when the barrel isn't indexed, or the headspace is off, or the chamber isn't centered, or doesn't match the receiver - the cost goes up quickly.

Sell the 338 (Great round - very popular in AK and Rockies) and buy your 416. Unless you want to drop the $$ for a custom rifle - you'll be far better off in the long run.

Like I said I have a .375 Weatherby (FN Mauser Action) or a .375 H&H (FN/Win M70) so I don't really need it. It's more a way of getting something to play with the cartridge. Give me an opportunity to see if I want a serious rifle in the caliber. The feeding question was to avoid frustration.

Like I said I have a .375 Weatherby (FN Mauser Action) or a .375 H&H (FN/Win M70)

I also have a FN Browning Hi Power Safari Grade...

Do I really have 3 .375's? How did that happen, when I haven't even been on a Safari yet!

Howa chambered the 375 Ruger. I doubt feeding will be a huge issue. We are not talking custom mauser that started out as an 8mmx57. Modern guns are made to feed pretty much everything the company offers. It may run into problems with specific bullets, as many guns do, but overall I seriously doubt it would be s problem.

I still say, go for the 375 Ruger. You've got an H&H and a Weatherby, may as well fill out the trifecta. Put this one in a synthetic stock to set it apart if you need to justify the build. I know Jesse has the reamer, it'll be easy peasy.

Another bonus to rebore vs rebarrel, I do believe the Howa uses a non standard thread that smiths complain about. And, Jesse will have it back in 2 weeks. Can't knock that turn around

I have a Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger which has a detachable magazine and its the same magazine as the belted cartridges so I don’t think it would be a big difference.
Shawn

2L8..............that is a very good price on a rechamber and reboring..........If you have to lop off a little of the bbl you get a touch up problem if a blued bbl....but, hey, it's not a Rigby...........I hope you do it and let us know how it turns out....................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg