Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
USA (Kansas, Virginia, Texas)
I've copied the URL for an article on a company re-introducing the Tasmanian tiger. The company is also trying to re-introduce the wooly mammoth. Who else would like to hunt either one?

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 8.54.02 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would! In the Pleistocene period, North American had a abundance of megafauna similar to Africa. We had our own lions, zebra like animals (Hagerman Horse), elephant equivalents in the Mammoth and Mastodon, etc. I wonder how they would be to hunt in comparison to the tough game of Africa?

I've copied the URL for an article on a company re-introducing the Tasmanian tiger. The company is also trying to re-introduce the wooly mammoth. Who else would like to hunt either one?

I listened to a several hour podcast on this topic with world experts and the gist to my understanding is the following:

When an animal's last living member goes extinct, its gone for good, forever, irrevocably. Future technology will be unlikely to circumvent that fact for hundreds of years if ever.

What is really happening when someone claims they are bringing a species back to life:

By DNA sequencing extinct DNA fragments of DNA can be obtained. With enough of these fragments from various specimens, you may have a few percent of the original genome. With enough research between the extinct species and a living cousin where a perfect DNA sequence exists, comparisons and assumptions can be made about what each gene actually does. Science has figured this out with elephants and mammoths for example, so we know which genes effect molar development, ivory mass and curvature, fatty hump at the shoulders, hair growth, and other cold weather adaptations.

With that knowledge known, using CRISPR technology to modify genes you can maniuplate a fertilized elephant egg to give a modern elephant "mammoth like traits" that would be amusing to see in a menagerie. Amusing, but of very little scientific value because you just made a mutant African Elephant with goofy posture, too much hair, curly ivory, and a fatty hump on its shoulders.

When an animal dies the DNA instantly begins decomposition so for example if you took samples from your dead "man's best friend" 40 minutes after death it would be unlikely that sample would be flawless enough to create a clone of Fido. Now reconcile that with a frozen wooly mammoth that has been dead for 15,000 years where maybe 2-3% of DNA is intact and you understand why we can't make a wooly mammoth and have it gestate inside an elephant.

Same with chickens. We know how to make a chicken with a dinosaur like tail and actual teeth because they have these traits when developing inside the egg until a gene activates to fuse the teeth into a beak and shorten the tail into a suitable bird-like tail. Making a chicken that looks like a velociraptor isn't bringing the velociraptor back from the grave...it's still extinct. You just made an ugly chicken.

With the amount of terrain that is needed for the mone,, ehh aninals to prosper on. Something has to go if they are to profeed with it, and most of areas suitable are in far east, Siberia and similar. Where there is no one reaiding on huge areas. One can ask one self, why is the point of rewilding developed land masses in Europe with little remaining wilderness areas to begin with ?

That was a central argument in the Jurassic Park novel by Michael Crichton. Were the dinosaurs they engineered actually dinosaurs? The scientist who made them said no, the entrepreneur who paid for the didn't care as long as they were profitable.

The Tasmanian tiger? No, not so much. A mammoth? If it was actually a legitimate mammoth and not, as @rookhawk says, a mutant variation of a modern elephant with more hair than it knows what to do with? Yes. Those tusks are far more impressive than an elephant's, I think. And admittedly Jurassic Park-style dinosaurs, those would be... acceptable to me. If they could actually happen.

Now, if they manage to bring back sabretooth cats? Sign me up. Hell with lions and leopards, I want those big ol' chompers on display.

The Tasmanian tiger? No, not so much. A mammoth? If it was actually a legitimate mammoth and not, as @rookhawk says, a mutant variation of a modern elephant with more hair than it knows what to do with? Yes. Those tusks are far more impressive than an elephant's, I think. And admittedly Jurassic Park-style dinosaurs, those would be... acceptable to me. If they could actually happen.

Now, if they manage to bring back sabretooth cats? Sign me up. Hell with lions and leopards, I want those big ol' chompers on display.

Now if you want to talk about practical gene modification, noodle on some of these things that would actually be very easy to do.

Lets just take Whitetail Deer as an example. As you may know, whitetail deer used to have sabretooth tusks. Evidence of their presence still exists with that black stripe of hair on the sides of their mouth. The black hair was to silhouette the tusks and make them look even more pronounced both for proclaiming superiority to mates and competitors as well as a deterrent to predators. With CRISPR technology you could modify just a couple genes and poof, you'd have sabre toothed deer running around America again.

Beyond the novelty, it may be the salvation of a species. I do not know what foraging advantage tusks would provide deer but it may help them glean nutrition from places where ideal modern forage isn't present. In addition, it would result in expanded northern ranges because the caloric inefficiency of growing large antlers every year limits their ability to survive the winter in the harshest of conditions. Reintroduction or reactivation of the gene that results in the tusk would likely result in diminished antlers over time to be calorie efficient in extreme cold climates. (they had no antlers and then smaller antlers during the primordial era when they had tusks) .

That's just one hairbrained example of reintroducing one gene in a common species that would completely alter its habits, food, and range. There are a infinite other examples that would allow a species to revert back to old adaptations they once had that may be efficient for their survival in a changing modern world.

A couple of years ago there was a story about one of the Ivy League schools was going to have mammoths cloned within a few years. I don't remember the details but it was very much a sooner rather than later proposition.

@rookhawk
That podcast sounds interesting,would you mind sharing which one it is?

I'm pretty sure it was a meateater podcast or a joe rogan experience. 80% chance it was a meateater. The expert was a woman that had her facts straight and was explaining the fallacy of reintroducing extinct species for the reasons I mentioned above.

I'm pretty sure it was a meateater podcast or a joe rogan experience. 80% chance it was a meateater. The expert was a woman that had her facts straight and was explaining the fallacy of reintroducing extinct species for the reasons I mentioned above.

Found it: https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-075-cloning-mammoths

Dr. Beth Shapiro on the Steve Rinella podcast.

Honorable mention unrelated: You have to listen to the meateater podcast about animal weapons. By far the most amazing content I've heard on his show about how evolution resulted in the extinction of various species. Also, how animals adapt spontaneously to up-end the arms race of animal weapons with other tactics and features. That one is with Dr. Doug Emlen and can be found here: https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-180-teeth-horns-and-claws

the proposed "mammoth" will be tuskless to discourage hunting and poaching for ivory. Really lame imho

Read this yesterday as I follow cryptozoology. I am of the opinion the tazzy tiger is still alive, probably on the mainland.

What would be interesting decades from now (should the clones be released into the wild) would be testing the DNA of the offspring to see how it compares to the original DNA strain.

However, I think this research company would be better off putting its millions of dollars to use trying to capture the never extinct thylacine. That would certainly be one of the highlights of the 21st century

How about cloning the American Chestnut Tree with the genes necessary to be resistant to blight. These trees could be used to feed mammoths in the wild.

Actually, whether it is a clone or some kind of new species or hybrid, if something looking like a mammoth, roughly two times the size of an African elephant would be created. I don’t think the fact that it is not a “real mammoth “ would scare me away from trying to hunt one.

Just imagine all the discussions we could start with @Bob Nelson 35 Whelen if the .243 would suffice…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColumbusVz

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!