Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Back in the winter I purchased a Winchester Mod. 70 in 416 Remington Mag from Mark Biggerstaff. During negotiations he told me the gun would shoot. Since all of my other Winchesters shoot reasonably well, I took him at his word. Being a frugal fellow I decided not to purchase any factory fodder for it and instead just bought new Norma brass and Redding dies. Using QuickLoad I put together something shootable from the components I had on hand. I reload for my 416 Rigby so I had some 400 Gr Hornady bonded bullets and H4350 powder. Since this was my first attempt at reloading for this caliber I only loaded 20 rounds. The first time out I fired a few rounds to zero the scope at 25 yards then a couple at a hundred yards to make sure I was on paper. Last Friday a couple of buddies and I headed out to our local DNR range. As you can see on the attached photo of the target the first two shots were a bit high, I made a sight correction and fired a couple more. My question to you guys is "do I need any additional load development or just leave things as they are?"

Brickburn, please rotate the attachment 90 degrees clockwise. Thanks

IMG_1327.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the winter I purchased a Winchester Mod. 70 in 416 Remington Mag from Mark Biggerstaff. During negotiations he told me the gun would shoot. Since all of my other Winchesters shoot reasonably well, I took him at his word. Being a frugal fellow I decided not to purchase any factory fodder for it and instead just bought new Norma brass and Redding dies. Using QuickLoad I put together something shootable from the components I had on hand. I reload for my 416 Rigby so I had some 400 Gr Hornady bonded bullets and H4350 powder. Since this was my first attempt at reloading for this caliber I only loaded 20 rounds. The first time out I fired a few rounds to zero the scope at 25 yards then a couple at a hundred yards to make sure I was on paper. Last Friday a couple of buddies and I headed out to our local DNR range. As you can see on the attached photo of the target the first two shots were a bit high, I made a sight correction and fired a couple more. My question to you guys is "do I need any additional load development or just leave things as they are?"
I don’t see a photo attached?

Please look again, I was trying to rotate the photo myself and maybe posted without a photo.

If the rifle shoots consist groups, like the 3 shots in the center, I would most likely be done. Unless, there were some loads / bullets that I wanted to experiment with.

Are the shots on the target shot at 25 or 100 yards. If they were shot at 100 yards then I would say the load is a keeper if the speed is at an acceptable level. I always verify anything Quick Load suggests. Sometimes it is spot on and sometimes it isn't..... and once in while it will be way off.

If when you attach a photo to your post, open it before hitting the Post Reply button. If it is not orientated correctly delete it from the post. When this happens to me, (I use a Mac), I will rotate it on my screen a full 360 degrees and then attach the photo again. For some reason this seems to work for me.

The target shown was at 100 yds.

I'll try rotating my photos 360 degrees as suggested. Does anyone else have this same difficulty? I use a PC.

I hope I get mine shooting like that, well done.

Not sure what your velocity is. But since you're so early in load development, I'd say there's a possibility of maybe improving on the velocity while maintaining the accuracy. I'm presuming that 3 shot group in the inner ring was a single load at 100 yards.

If so, I'd confirm that load's velocity and decide if you're happy with that. And I'd of course just want to make sure the accuracy is repeatable. Furthermore I personally like to see just how "forgiving" the load is to error of the one doing the loading, i.e. me. So what I like to see is that the accuracy maintains at least at +/- 0.1gr from the center load. Preferably at +/- 0.2gr if not more.

I can be fairly certain that even if I my load varies a bit from one load session to the next, I can keep the powder charge to that accuracy and then not worry I've walked of a cliff in regards to accuracy.

@Shootist43, I took the liberty of taking a screen shot and rotating to where I think you intended then re-posting here. I've found the same glitch in posting some photos here to the AH site. To prevent it, use the rotate function in your computer's photo system and pre-rotate to the orientation you want even though it may be through 360 degrees and appears to be correct to begin with. That seems to prevent the software on the site from "second guessing" where it should be. :)

If that proves to be anywhere close to 2363 and accuracy is consistent, yowza, you be there! Excellent!

416 target rotated.png

Last edited:
QuickLoad says 2363 FPS. I'll verify that next time out hopefully.
well shooting
when you have the velocity,you have the energie.:
M x V² : 2

I came on E 0 672 kg .
Lot of stuff
Regards

As I stated this was new brass. I will brew up another batch using the same brass, hopefully all of the shoulder angles etc. will be sharper and the internal volume slightly larger. I will fill an empty case to verify that. I will put the new case capacity into QuickLoad to see what it says and go from there. I may have to add a little powder. If the second batch shoots well, I'll go up and down a tenth of a grain or two to see what happens to the group size. Some where during the "process" I'll use my LabRadar unit to determine what velocity I'm getting. I get 2300 FPS out of my 404 Jeffery(s) pushing a 400 Gr. bullet and was thinking the 416 Remington Mag would / should be over 2400.

Agreed! If that load shoots that well on a couple more range outings, you have an excellent load! Few among us are that fortunate with first loads.

View attachment 406808
No….your load development is done! So long as you’re ok with the DGX bonded bullets. Fine shooting.

I will be hunting more paper than buffalo, LOL so I think I'm good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross