Rand Hat Color

Westley Richards Safari hat in the Scottish Highlands, yes I know, all wrong! Soft and easy to travel with, but lose their shape.
7FA97F16-89A7-4103-9E33-9734F2A57FB9.jpeg

I admire how you guys get kitted out ,I feel underdressed with my Bowtech cap.
Funny you should say Ngonyama, this was a bit of a special hunt and I was given specific instructions by the outfitter. The required dress was tweeds but I decided to put an African twist on it. Nevertheless my wife bought me a stag tie to zoom it up. The oil skin jacket came in handy, it started snowing! In the inner pocket there was also a nice silver hip flask and a cigar slipper, that also helped.

Funny you should say Ngonyama, this was a bit of a special hunt and I was given specific instructions by the outfitter. The required dress was tweeds but I decided to put an African twist on it. Nevertheless my wife bought me a stag tie to zoom it up. The oil skin jacket came in handy, it started snowing! In the inner pocket there was also a nice silver hip flask and a cigar slipper, that also helped.

What precious liquid was in the silver flask,We waiting for snow at the moment but it doesn’t want to.

If ever in Vail or Aspen, CO (and I think they have a place in Las Vegas)- I highly recommend Kemo Sabe custom hats… They have an incredible selection that they customize to your needs and specs. Their website is www.kemosabe.com… My custom inside band states: “It seemed like a good idea at the time” . My hat is ALWAYS with me on safari- it’s my good luck charm.

Happy safari hat hunting!!
IMG_2880.JPG
A2_00194.JPG
80ce5047-c8a7-40e8-a5d3-aabd5e6d8a74.jpg

View attachment 482871

Last edited:
What precious liquid was in the silver flask,We waiting for snow at the moment but it doesn’t want to.
It was Hibiki VBE, I know, should have been Scotch, but my buddy filled it and it was divine.

I’m struggling with how I missed Rands. Maybe a half dozen years ago I was driving through Montana on my was back to Alaska and I stopped in Bozeman and Missoula looking for a custom hater. None. Further in Calgary I came across Smithbilt. They didn’t have time for a custom fitting so I bought a beaver hat and a straw hat the fit my head pretty well. A year later I find O’Farrells in Santa Fe, NM. Perfection. Takes a year to get a custom hat but the quality is superb, the choice of hat bands is extremely broad. I now own five of their’s, and they resized my Smithbilt so it fits perfectly. They are currently making a mountain man hat for me. BUT, I am on the hunt for the perfect safari hat so I’m looking into the companies you guys have used as well. Bespoke hats are yet another addiction aren’t they.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.33 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.35 AM.png
    949.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.48 AM.png
    846.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 9.39.50 AM.png
    356.9 KB · Views: 63
I really like the Quartermain, it just says Africa.
It's meant to. It's based on Allan Quatermain's (Sean Connery's) hat in The League of Extraordinary Gentleman. A bit exaggerated, as a graphic novel would be, but a good old-fashioned 1890s slouch hat. I like the color choice, not too light but not a typical "chocolate" brown. Would probably darken nicely with use.

It was an estate in the Cairngorms national park, about 40000 acres, mountainous.

If that is the river Tilt behind you, we might have been to the same estate.

I’m struggling with how I missed Rands. Maybe a half dozen years ago I was driving through Montana on my was back to Alaska and I stopped in Bozeman and Missoula looking for a custom hater. None. Further in Calgary I came across Smithbilt. They didn’t have time for a custom fitting so I bought a beaver hat and a straw hat the fit my head pretty well. A year later I find O’Farrells in Santa Fe, NM. Perfection. Takes a year to get a custom hat but the quality is superb, the choice of hat bands is extremely broad. I now own five of their’s, and they resized my Smithbilt so it fits perfectly. They are currently making a mountain man hat for me. BUT, I am on the hunt for the perfect safari hat so I’m looking into the companies you guys have used as well. Bespoke hats are yet another addiction aren’t they.
Double H custom Hats south of Missoula and Rocky Mountain Hat Company in Bozeman, got to go a little east to Rands in Billings. Montana Mad Hatters in Twin Bridges, MT builds a fine hat also.

I admire how you guys get kitted out ,I feel underdressed with my Bowtech cap.
caps are alright until they come with white brand lettering on them--it's unbelievable how much that stands out, especially when you move. Can't imagine game being blind to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you