Rand Hat Color

Probably a dumb question: How does one travel with such marvelous hats?? Surely they’re not packable (?) and wearing through days of airport travel must be a burden, right?
I better start training my head!!

It's a rare day I don't have a hat of some sort on. Definitely prefer fur felt types, don't have much use for a straw (too easily broken/damaged, suck if they get wet-including sweat). Over the years I've added Stetsons, Baileys, American, Resistol and a couple I don't remember the brand on. Also worn out most of them, at least for wearing in public. But the only two brands that I will buy these days are Stetson and Rand. Can't beat Rand for quality or fit-comes out of the box feeling like I'd worn it for years. Stetson sizing just fits my head properly, their fur felt is durable (still wearing one I bought in '81) and the price is right for a working hat. But I might break down and get a Rand in that moss green. I like that color.
Probably a dumb question: How does one travel with such marvelous hats?? Surely they’re not packable (?) and wearing through days of airport travel must be a burden, right?
I better start training my head!!
One travels with it on the head, where else would a hat go? :cool: Easiest thing there is to pack....

It's a rare day I don't have a hat of some sort on. Definitely prefer fur felt types, don't have much use for a straw (too easily broken/damaged, suck if they get wet-including sweat). Over the years I've added Stetsons, Baileys, American, Resistol and a couple I don't remember the brand on. Also worn out most of them, at least for wearing in public. But the only two brands that I will buy these days are Stetson and Rand. Can't beat Rand for quality or fit-comes out of the box feeling like I'd worn it for years. Stetson sizing just fits my head properly, their fur felt is durable (still wearing one I bought in '81) and the price is right for a working hat. But I might break down and get a Rand in that moss green. I like that color.

One travels with it on the head, where else would a hat go? :cool: Easiest thing there is to pack....
Hahaha!! I told you it was a dumb question!! Thanks!

I tried to copy Fredrick Courtney Selous hat and look
8558CA61-EC33-4B06-9852-258A1CB31CEB.jpeg
as per the framed pic that I say hanging in the Victoria Falls Hotel Bar in Zim.

full

Brown leather hat picked up on first African hunt. Do not know brand , but the leather made it warm on early mornings and late evenings. The breathing holes made it bearable (avoided bill cap) during the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lest I forget fashion notes:
Clothes by Cabelas, Brown leather hat made in RSA, Shades by Polaroid, and .405 rifle by Winchester.

I look at all these hats from the various companies and I start thinking which one I'd like. While it is not too "safari", I'm partial to that Gus hat from Nathaniel's. Then I look at the prices and I think that is almost the price of a decent rifle!

I guess I'll just have to stick with the dozens of free ball caps I have.

Now for a serious question. Do you ever feel you overheat wearing a felted or wool hat?

That seems to be a problem for me. My natural "insulation" around my middle probably doesn't help.

I look at all these hats from the various companies and I start thinking which one I'd like. While it is not too "safari", I'm partial to that Gus hat from Nathaniel's. Then I look at the prices and I think that is almost the price of a decent rifle!

I guess I'll just have to stick with the dozens of free ball caps I have.

Now for a serious question. Do you ever feel you overheat wearing a felted or wool hat?

That seems to be a problem for me. My natural "insulation" around my middle probably doesn't help.
+1 on ball caps, preferably FREE! LOL I can't imagine wearing a felt or wool hat/cap unless when hunting in the 20-30F temp range. My head was sweating hunting in RSA this past June in upper 30s in the morning to 70 in the afternoon with a ball cap on. I just need the brim to help keep the sun out of my eyes. Besides, here (Colorado) you have to wear a fluorescent orange (or now pink, seriously) cap when hunting big game anyway. Maybe a fluorescent pink Stetson? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Reactions: crs
For ages I have worn Rand hats in various styles and colors and enjoyed them all. Rich Rand is a good man proud of his products. Once, i was mauled by a leopard and after i killed the cat and in the excitement getting back to campi i realized my fancy hat had been left at the scene of action. The trackers went back to find it while i was waiting for emergency evacuation. My elegant chapeau was not at the scene. Some where there was a fancy local dude carrying a spear and wearing a swanky cowboy hat or……a strange looking hyena under a bloodstained sombrero .

Guess there might be a conditioning thing to wearing a hat. Since I've worn one virtually all day every day for all of my adult life, I feel nekkid if I leave the house without one on. Same might go for wearing a felt or wool hat, but I wore one every day for years, regardless of temperature; probably why most of them aren't really suitable for wearing to town anymore. A good felt, that fits properly, will hold up to pretty much anything nature throws at you, even (small) hail, and is more comfortable than a ballcap (and I wear those a lot too), even a fitted one.

I frequently wear my old slouch hat. Sometimes I'll wear a cotton Tilley hat with a similar brim width. The only problem I find with the slouch hat is that the leather hat inner band causes a lot of sweat build up. The Tilley doesn't have that issue. While the slouch hat maybe a bit warmer in mid to warm weather, it tends to provide better protection from those intensely hot days. I think the compressed felt does a better job of stopping the penetrating rays than does the cotton. Probably irrelevant unless you're out in over 40 C days.

My safari style hat is by Willis & Geiger and is a sort of gray-green in color. Not bespoke but it fits well and is comfortable. It does its job well and makes my dermatologist happy. She is not a fan of hats without brims.

My recommendation for warm weather hat is the Henschell Aussie Breezer . Incredibly cool and 10% of the cost of the Rand. It is crushable and has a 3” brim . They also sell a 3 1/2 inch brim . Just back from 8 days in Saskatchewan pike fishing, and the hat was exposed to constant wind from long boat trips at high speed. Hat is just like it was before I left!

Heard a lot of good stuff about Rands, but can't really stop the addiction of getting Stetsons. At this point I've got like 5 or 6(getting one a year pretty much for last 5). Right now waiting for a new Black Buffalo. Should arrive anyday now, pretty happy that nearby store got a steady supply of Stetson hats https://gritroutdoors.com/stetson/1661862460121.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.02.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.02.09 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.02.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.02.11 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
I put this here as it is the best thread I found about quality hats

Funny you should say Ngonyama, this was a bit of a special hunt and I was given specific instructions by the outfitter. The required dress was tweeds but I decided to put an African twist on it. Nevertheless my wife bought me a stag tie to zoom it up. The oil skin jacket came in handy, it started snowing! In the inner pocket there was also a nice silver hip flask and a cigar slipper, that also helped.
Kevin you are always the well dressed hunter in Africa…although we are talking about Rand Hats gotta love the pith helmet

Anyone familiar with Zapf Oestereisch hutsenmacher hats?

Kevin you are always the well dressed hunter in Africa…although we are talking about Rand Hats gotta love the pith helmet
The things are so comfortable RB, really s good choice for tropical and equatorial Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.