Quick pre-purchase review and advice

Warne acknowledges lapping as a valid practice. However, they disaprove lapping for their QD vertical mounts. Here is the justification : (https://warnescopemounts.com/is-lapping-needed/)

"Since vertically split rings need to slightly flex around the tube to tighten, lapping is difficult to impossible to do correctly. Since the ring is designed to be slightly flexed at the correct torque around the scope tube, to properly lap the ring, it would need to be in that tight flexed state. This would make it so the lapping bar cannot move, so to be able to lap a vertically split ring, the ring must be loose. This can be a problem because the ring will have material removed, changing the shape of the interior surface of the ring. When the ring is then tightened, and flexed around the tube, it is not the correct shape. This can cause high and low spots, as well as uneven pressure on the scope tube"
Thanks, was curious about Warne's rationale or justification for the vertical split ring - integrated base design. I'm a little unsure about their theoretical scenario though. Why would anyone excessive lap rings that were already in alignment or aggressively lap using an excessively loose lapping bar in the first place?-- no matter the ring design. Seems like, in their explanation for the design, they created an issue to warn about a solution that is not realistic nor needed nor would commonly be used... by their own definition of the flexible ring. Just asking questions and playing Devil's advocate a little for the sake of thought and discussion.

I have two scopes for my Model 70 Safari Express .375. It is one of my favorite rifles and I have it setup for a lot of things. I use a a Leupold FX-II 2.5x24 Ultralight and a VX-3i 4.5-14x40. both are mounted in their respective Low QD vertical rings on the Warne .330 mount. They are low with the big bell being millimeters off the barrel. I don't notice the sights in the scope. I used blue loctite for the screws in the mount and rings. I have had no trouble so far.

The 1-8 sounds like everything one could ever want. You have selected everything perfectly for the mounting.

My only complaint about the system is a small one and that is that the mount base extends over the forward portion of the action and might get in the way of reloading with a scope dismounted.
Similar here. The front dovetail base on my Win 70 mounted with the VX3 2.5-8 x 36 hung out a little into the port area. The extended base was the only way to mount the scope for a 4" eye relief even with the front ring all the way forward against the objective bell. I ground off a corner and rounded the edge. No issue with loading nor ejection. Plus the scope is mounted rotated 90' left to eliminate the turret cap interference. :)

front base Win 70.JPG

For what it's worth I have used a schmidt zenith 3-12 for probably ten years , with the warne qd rings. The scope is bloody heavy, but on a light recoiling big rifle like the 375, at least in the heavy cz rifle, I have had no problems. It is a 30 mm tube though, not the big 34.

The 458 Lott gave me trouble with the heavy scope, in the warne rings, but it is good now . I am using two rings on the front, just in case.

Crappy thing about the Qd, at least with warne, is there is no way to get the exact torque , using the thumbs one is just guessing.

Forrest Halley that is quite exactly the answer i was hoping for. Thanks to you I am set on the Warne QD bases and collars, and i am conforted that i should be able to mount them myself.

As you said the 1-8 scope has everything going for it, but i was not aware that heavy scopes were not optimal and since it's more than 730 grams (versus around 330 for most lightweight scopes) i will change accordingly.

I shall add that your advice is very precious because big calibers are practically non existent nor used in France (where i live and hunt actually) so even buying the appropriate equipement is a challenge (using a 375 on the field without raising eyebrows even more of a challenge !)
@Chamaan it is my sincere hope that you will be most happy with this setup. I find the .375 to be very flexible and suitable for most anything. The M70 is a veritable pussycat in .375. I don't think you're going to have any issues with your scope moving about. Load, shoot,and be merry!

Crappy thing about the Qd, at least with warne, is there is no way to get the exact torque , using the thumbs one is just guessing.

What do you mean ? I thought using a torque screwdriver would just be enough and pretty simple.

I would wait for a used Leupold 1-6, or a new one if you can swing it.

I think you predicted the future : i just bought a barely used Leupold VX6 1-6x24 (indeed i could not swing a new one). I got it for 800€, new ones are selling at best around 1300-1500 euros in Europe. This item was under the radar for a few days and it popped on my recommendations, i got it 2hours before its sale ended ! It's on its way now.

Bushnells new scopes are rather impressive, they've done well lately. Whether they're durable on big bores is unknown since they're not the most common brand put on big bores so I'm not sure how much data there is there. I'm a leupold guy myself, and it doesnt get much better than the firedot for illuminated hunting articles whether it be low light or fast acquisition

A world renown sniper and competition shooter (one of the best to ever live on the competition side for sure) taught me to spread red loctite on the surface of my scope rings to kind of glue the rings to the scope. Then level and torque properly before it dries. Easy to remove if you need to remount and he swears by it to retain zero. All my scopes get that treatment now

What do you mean ? I thought using a torque screwdriver would just be enough and pretty simple.

I think you predicted the future : i just bought a barely used Leupold VX6 1-6x24 (indeed i could not swing a new one). I got it for 800€, new ones are selling at best around 1300-1500 euros in Europe. This item was under the radar for a few days and it popped on my recommendations, i got it 2hours before its sale ended ! It's on its way now.

The torque screwdriver you will be able to torque the base screws , and torque the rings to the scope. The problem I have is not being able to torque , to an exact amount , the rings to the base. You have to rely on thumb pressure.

I have not had a problem with this set up on a 375, in fact I thought it was near perfect. It wasn't until I had issues with a heavier recoiling rifle that I wished they had a set up to be able to use a torque driver to mount the rings to the rifle, with the levers to be able to remove it if one wanted to in a hurry.

The VX-6 should be an awesome scope for you. I have been quite impressed by mine.

Post some pictures of your set up! All the rifle loonies will be appreciative!!

Here is my vx 6 in talley Qd rings.

PXL_20201125_051054028.jpg

The VX-6 should be an awesome scope for you. I have been quite impressed by mine.

Post some pictures of your set up! All the rifle loonies will be appreciative!!

Here is my vx 6 in talley Qd rings.

View attachment 383097

That's a very nice wood you got there, all veiny and marbled.

I will for sure post pics and impressions as soon as i get the mounting done. ;) Thanks again for all the advices.

Thank you very much BeeMaa for your input, i will look into the Wheeler kits.

As for this scope, it weights 732 grams. That is indeed almost double the weight of most Leupold optics. I am usually going by "heavy is good, heavy is reliable" but you are raising my concern. Do you think i'd be better looking at lighter scopes ? I am new to the world of "big" calibers and maybe this choice was my first rookie mistake.
@Chanmaan
Newton 3rd law say for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
The more weight in the scope the more likely to move and break things.
The old Leopold 3x3fixed scope has always been the best scope for the 375.
Nob

@Chanmaan
Newton 3rd law say for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
The more weight in the scope the more likely to move and break things.
The old Leopold 3x3fixed scope has always been the best scope for the 375.
Nob
Bob what big rifle do you have besides the Whelan?

Bob what big rifle do you have besides the Whelan?
@Forrest
Nothing now mate. I did have a 444 marlin built on an SMLE No4 action that I loaded to the hilt. A 280 grain Woodleigh RNSP @ close on 2,400 fps. When you hit something with that I can assure you it stayed hit. I would have liked to try the 280grain swift Aframe and the 300 grain Barnes Buster in it. With that I would gladly take on buffalo. A 300 grain Barnes @ 2,300 would put some hurt on them.
The rifle field ready with sling, scope and 5 rounds of ammo was a bit less than 8 pounds so you knew when you touched on off.
The biggest rifle I have fired was a 460 Weatherby, 3 shots one after the other was enough. I found the 378 loaded with 232 grainers quite pleasant but the mates 44mag MARLIN lever used to belt the shit out of me because of the stock.
Bob

Sounds like you have a good rifle and really good rings but a less than desirable scope. I seriously doubt the bushnells will stand up to the .375 recoil over time. No offense just want you to do well with your set up. Get a Leupold scope as others have suggested.
Philip

Sounds like you have a good rifle and really good rings but a less than desirable scope. I seriously doubt the bushnells will stand up to the .375 recoil over time. No offense just want you to do well with your set up. Get a Leupold scope as others have suggested.
Philip

What i did exactly mate. Just waiting for the rings and mount now.

leupold.jpg

So i've been away a bit, but late is better than never.

And as promised this is the final result, i gotta say i'm pretty happy so far and i think it's a gorgeous rifle and setup. Thanks again everyone for you help !

Still have to sight it in at the range, i'll post groupings if they are decent ahah

157191474_440233823959613_2440681341285020813_n.jpg
157307057_1066725407171980_5228586736867690226_n.jpg
157476519_438351337438813_8800205613948678690_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg