Question - Form 4457 and Blaser R8 with multiple barrels

Birdy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I couldn’t find the answer to this question anywhere else, so hopefully someone can help. I have travelled to Africa several times with my Blaser R8, but with only one barrel. On my form 4457 I just listed the rifle, caliber and only the serial number on the stock/receiver. My question - how do I fill out the 4457 when I want to take one R8 stock but two barrels? Do I just list the barrels and calibers under the same serial number, add both the barrel serial numbers, or something else? Looking for Your guys real world experience! Thanks, Birdy

In my real world experience, I decided to give them as many numbers as possible. I gave them the serial number on the receiver of course. I also listed each barrel’s caliber and serial number.

It also made it slightly easier to explain it on the other side when we had to sort and count which ammo went with each rifle. The custom’s officer in Zimbabwe seemed to like that he could see the serial number on the barrel when he was counting out the rounds for the Blaser.

I’ve heard that you only have to list the serial number on the receiver, so maybe someone can speak to that option.

Hello Birdy;
Because the barrels determine what caliber(s) is(are) imported, you need to list the receiver serial # as well as the separate serial # for each barrel. The same goes on your SAPS 520 application in SA and/or permit(s) in Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, etc.

On both my R8 and S2, I list barrel and receiver numbers.

I didn't even know Blaser barrels had serial numbers. Learn something new each day.

I couldn’t find the answer to this question anywhere else, so hopefully someone can help. I have travelled to Africa several times with my Blaser R8, but with only one barrel. On my form 4457 I just listed the rifle, caliber and only the serial number on the stock/receiver. My question - how do I fill out the 4457 when I want to take one R8 stock but two barrels? Do I just list the barrels and calibers under the same serial number, add both the barrel serial numbers, or something else? Looking for Your guys real world experience! Thanks, Birdy
You will want to fill out the 4457 with the receiver serial number and the barrel serial number as well. Write everything out clearly. There is plenty of space. Type it up on your computer don’t fill out by hand. For multiple barrels you can put them on the same form or on separate forms. When you get to Africa no one will know about the receiver serial number or what it means. Please don’t go without the barrel serial number as well!

Great, thanks for the responses guys.

When I went in 2019 I listed the receiver serial number as well as both barrel serial numbers. The guy who cleared me in Kimberley lined through the barrel numbers and said I only needed to list the receiver. I had no trouble when leaving or when I got back to Atlanta. It's such a subjective process but I would list the barrels every time to be safe.

Concur with all previous comments- list the reciever and each barrel as separate items by serial number

As above. The receiver is not the registered part in all countries. And, there is no harm in listing extra stuff that it turns out you don’t need. Good luck retroactively listing things. Finally, there seems to be a cultural appreciation for forms and official-looking paperwork in Africa. Can’t go wrong having more paperwork, stamps, embossing, and/or seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg