Question - Form 4457 and Blaser R8 with multiple barrels

Birdy

Bronze supporter
AH member
Reaction score
I couldn’t find the answer to this question anywhere else, so hopefully someone can help. I have travelled to Africa several times with my Blaser R8, but with only one barrel. On my form 4457 I just listed the rifle, caliber and only the serial number on the stock/receiver. My question - how do I fill out the 4457 when I want to take one R8 stock but two barrels? Do I just list the barrels and calibers under the same serial number, add both the barrel serial numbers, or something else? Looking for Your guys real world experience! Thanks, Birdy

Commish

Reaction score
In my real world experience, I decided to give them as many numbers as possible. I gave them the serial number on the receiver of course. I also listed each barrel’s caliber and serial number.

It also made it slightly easier to explain it on the other side when we had to sort and count which ammo went with each rifle. The custom’s officer in Zimbabwe seemed to like that he could see the serial number on the barrel when he was counting out the rounds for the Blaser.

I’ve heard that you only have to list the serial number on the receiver, so maybe someone can speak to that option.

One Day...

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.huntershillsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Europe, America, Canada, Africa
Hello Birdy;
Because the barrels determine what caliber(s) is(are) imported, you need to list the receiver serial # as well as the separate serial # for each barrel. The same goes on your SAPS 520 application in SA and/or permit(s) in Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, etc.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
On both my R8 and S2, I list barrel and receiver numbers.

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I didn't even know Blaser barrels had serial numbers. Learn something new each day.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I couldn’t find the answer to this question anywhere else, so hopefully someone can help. I have travelled to Africa several times with my Blaser R8, but with only one barrel. On my form 4457 I just listed the rifle, caliber and only the serial number on the stock/receiver. My question - how do I fill out the 4457 when I want to take one R8 stock but two barrels? Do I just list the barrels and calibers under the same serial number, add both the barrel serial numbers, or something else? Looking for Your guys real world experience! Thanks, Birdy
You will want to fill out the 4457 with the receiver serial number and the barrel serial number as well. Write everything out clearly. There is plenty of space. Type it up on your computer don’t fill out by hand. For multiple barrels you can put them on the same form or on separate forms. When you get to Africa no one will know about the receiver serial number or what it means. Please don’t go without the barrel serial number as well!

Birdy

Bronze supporter
AH member
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the responses guys.

Rider717

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, DSC, IGFA
Hunted
South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Wyoming, and South Africa
When I went in 2019 I listed the receiver serial number as well as both barrel serial numbers. The guy who cleared me in Kimberley lined through the barrel numbers and said I only needed to list the receiver. I had no trouble when leaving or when I got back to Atlanta. It's such a subjective process but I would list the barrels every time to be safe.

rinehart0050

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
Concur with all previous comments- list the reciever and each barrel as separate items by serial number

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
As above. The receiver is not the registered part in all countries. And, there is no harm in listing extra stuff that it turns out you don’t need. Good luck retroactively listing things. Finally, there seems to be a cultural appreciation for forms and official-looking paperwork in Africa. Can’t go wrong having more paperwork, stamps, embossing, and/or seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoeirFilie

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?