Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI,DSC,RMEF,MDF,NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, New Zealand RSA, Namibia, Zambia, Mozambique,Tanzania
I just booked a Quebec caribou trip this Fall through WTA at Leaf River outfitters. Caribou is high on my bucket list & since hunting Quebec caribou closes next year, I squeezed this in between Africa trips. I jumped on it after getting an email about some cancelations (there may still be another opening). This my first caribou hunt, so looking for tips & knowledge from those that have hunted Quebec & maybe with this outfitter. The hunt is late Aug-early Sept. Thanks.

Went there in 2000 so quite long ago with Ugava Adventures. Same time of the year they moved us to a camp that had the migration going there most people got both trophies the first two days spent the rest of the time fishing. Bring a casting rod you won't believe it.
That was back in the film days so don't have many pictures this is the one I had mounted.

IMG_1333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you enjoy the trip, as you mentioned the Quebec government just cancelled the caribou season after 2017 due to population crashing to a small percentage of former numbers. I always wanted to hunt the Leaf River herd, probably not going to happen for me in this lifetime.
Good waterproof outer shell is absolutely important, as well as waterproof footwear that you can walk in on uneven ground. Ptarmigan hunting might be another option after you get a caribou, but fishing is almost a must do.

Thanks guys. Nice mount Bhfs. I think I only get one tag, as I think they reduced it to one last year. I have ordered some good rain gear, early, to check fit so I can swap it out. I also bought some rubber boots. I may take them turkey hunting in a couple weeks in SD to see how they feel walking. If they don't have fishing gear I can borrow, I'll see if I can pack something small & light. Sounds like that is something that must be done. The cabins are on the Leaf River, so right there to wet a line.

I just booked a Quebec caribou trip this Fall through WTA at Leaf River outfitters. Caribou is high on my bucket list & since hunting Quebec caribou closes next year, I squeezed this in between Africa trips. I jumped on it after getting an email about some cancelations (there may still be another opening). This my first caribou hunt, so looking for tips & knowledge from those that have hunted Quebec & maybe with this outfitter. The hunt is late Aug-early Sept. Thanks.

@gebo824 - What hunt are y ou on? I too booked with Leaf River Lodge this season on a recomendation from my old friend and renowned wildlfie sculptor Rick Taylor. Most of my focus the past 30+ years has been on hunting the African Continent since I always thought the North American Species would be hear forever. Oh well, things are always changing thats for certain. I was lucky enough to pick up one of last importable polar bear tags back in '07 so I jumped on this caribou hunt as soon as I heard about the closure.

Good luck......I hope they are moving where you are.

I'm just going to pray the caribou herd recovers in 20 years and then I'll go hunting for one. It was always a dream of mine to go hunting there!

Just for a bit of game knowledge there are also woodland caribou in Northern BC, in Canada. This photo was taken near the spatsizi plateau wilderness provincial park last year. ( not trying to hijack the thread , figured some folks would be interested)
Have a good hunt!
upload_2017-4-10_8-39-35.png

I hunted Caribou in Quebec back in 2011. As mentioned above the fishing tackle is a must! A good book or some cards are a must too, the weather shut us down for three days out of seven during my hunt!

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
JES, I'm going over Labor Day. Leave around Aug 28 or 29. I haven't received my packet yet or booked flights. Let me know if in the same group.

Thanks for the pics, guys. That just makes me more excited & glad I splurged on this.

For sure, I'll posted some pics. I have a trip to Namibia prior to Quebec, so will do a trip report on that. BC, you'll have to tell me where to get a mountain caribou in your neck of the woods. I want to do that in 2019 with my son, if he can afford it by then.

@gebo824 I'm going one month later as I wanted to hunt them in hard horn. I look forward to your report as anticipation builds through the Fall! You should be able to post from there as they have wifi in the camp.

@gebo824 I'm going one month later as I wanted to hunt them in hard horn. I look forward to your report as anticipation builds through the Fall! You should be able to post from there as they have wifi in the camp.
Bummer. I didn't have a choice on dates since filling a cancelation. I would prefer hard horn, but take what I can get with this last chance at them.

Bummer. I didn't have a choice on dates since filling a cancelation. I would prefer hard horn, but take what I can get with this last chance at them.
I was lucky I guess, but would've gladly taken the hunt you are on if it was all I could get. Anyway, a good taxidermist can stain the antler to a natural color so go and enjoy the hunt!

BTW - What rain gear are you considering? Its been several years since my last Canadian hunt so my stuff is outdated. I've been looking hard Kuiu gear

I just ordered some Cabelas MT050 stuff. I have a top & ordered the bib coveralls, non insulated. They scrunch up in attached bags. I thought I could keep in the pack & throw on as needed. Maybe I need to wear all the time? I also have some UA Ridge Reaper pants & jacket that are waterproof (or repellant) for normal hunting. Being in the Rockies (WY & CO) the last 10yrs, I have lots of warm underlayer stuff. Early September shouldn't be too cold, I don't think.

gebo, would be happy to help you find the an area for woodland caribou for you and your son when you decide to go. I have been hunting the same area in northern BC for close to 30 years now.
The woodland caribou range is not as varied as the barren land variety, the best area I know is the spatsizi plateau wilderness ( no doubt there are others) . Access is difficult , float plane or horse. Several Outfitters have the area under there control (concession) . Which is a necessary part of the hunt because of the logistics involved due to its remote location. Also due to its remote location the population has been stable but wolf predation has been high recently as the wolf populations in BC have exploded in recent years. I will hunt there again this fall and will post pictures if I have any luck.
Again Id be happy to help.
regards
Pat

Good kit (rain gear) is your best friend in the bush. The bush is almost all ways wet, from frost , dew, snow or rain. Being wet and cold is a fast way to ruin a hunt. Average historical temperatures for September from Environment Canada for northern Quebec states it will be around +5c to -5c basically warmer during the day and cooler at night, pretty normal fall weather any where. Just be aware of wind chill, there will most likely be a constant wind. For rain gear I use Arcteryx LEAF Gear ( its way over priced IMHO) but its the best I have found. I do have Kuiu ( half the cost) too its good but not as robust as Arcteryx in my experience. My last set of LEAF gear took allot of abuse (work & hunting) and lasted 15years. Like most hunters our time in the bush is precious I prefer to buy the best kit I can find and eat KD with moose or caribou to save for it.;)
Good hunting!
Pat

Went the last week of September in 2015 with Ungava Adventures. Definitely bring a rod for fishing!!!!!! We weren't allowed to because the season closed before we went out. It is very windy on the tundra, like others said, a good waterproof shell is a must! As you can see by my avatar, I am wearing a gortex top and bottom, the boots are the insulated Lacrosse Alpha Burly's. Get some comfortable boots that you can walk miles in. We had to cross 3 miles of bog and then portage another 1/2 mile to get to one site. Hump that a couple of times with 500 lbs. of caribou meat, cape, and rack, then you'll know what your trip was all about!!!!!! As for a rifle, nothing huge. A .243 Winchester is completely acceptable and will do the job and then some as long as you place the shot in the right place. Caribou are not that hardy and will usually just stop after being hit or drop if hit in the right spot. Also, make sure you have some good glass on the rifle and some in your pocket, you will glass for many hours (possibly) to look for the herds before setting up the ambush. Good luck and stay safe!

DSC_0460_zpsupdvv3qj.jpg

DSC_0459_zpsu2ervtqv.jpg

Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20072_zpsj0skq9v4.jpg

Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20064_zpsligyetey.jpg

Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20062_zps6s6lgmvl.jpg

Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20047_zpsp5rz6flm.jpg

Attachments

• Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20047_zpsp5rz6flm.jpg
    Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20047_zpsp5rz6flm.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20062_zps6s6lgmvl.jpg
    Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20062_zps6s6lgmvl.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 282
  • Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20064_zpsligyetey.jpg
    Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20064_zpsligyetey.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 234
  • Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20072_zpsj0skq9v4.jpg
    Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20072_zpsj0skq9v4.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0459_zpsu2ervtqv.jpg
    DSC_0459_zpsu2ervtqv.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC_0460_zpsupdvv3qj.jpg
    DSC_0460_zpsupdvv3qj.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 283

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg