Quarter rib recommendations

SkullKeeper

Silver supporter
AH elite
Joined
Feb 1, 2021
Messages
1,646
Reaction score
3,112
Location
Virginia
Media
35
Hunting reports
Africa
6
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
I’m looking for recommendations for gunsmiths that do quarter ribs. I’ve seen a few designs I like but would also like to see more options of ribs and elongated rear sight bases some members have had done. Thank you in advance for the information and photos.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MFC
contact Tm at Matrix Gunsmithing. He is offering custom quarter rib kits (qrib, banded sling swivel, banded front sight base) machined to any barrel contour.
This just came of the press:), unpolished, for my 375HH Model 70.
Steve
qrib_side.jpg


qrib_top.jpg


qrib_top_dt.jpg
 
MNR Custom. The rib pictured above is done absolutely correctly. I've never understood why the very rear of the qtr rib right in front of the action would be raised and square, giving a nice abrupt edge for your hand to deal with when carrying single handed. hats off to that kit and the guy doing it right.
 
Should the rear of a proper quarter rib not be perfectly level it’s entire length and flush with the square bridge offering a seamless flow between the two?

If it’s not level the entire length it sort of defeats the purpose of a quarter rib does it not? May as well not even bother with one in that case.
 
you are correct, Sir. I must say, as a retired engineer with time on my hands, I designed the aforementioned quarter. The top base is set to be the same height as either a square bridge or a scope base from the action centerline and yes, not much of a sight plane but it still aids in sight acquisition.
I use a term, "goldline" which the amount of visible gold fill from the bottom of the filed V to the square bridge and try to keep this around 150/1000 for good pickup and this is a determining factor.
But in this day and ag, I have to consider scopes. The step down from the top of the base is to provide clearance for a scope with 42mm objective. If the top base was extended back for a better sight plane, would need a smaller objective or taller scope bases (then the stock design for sighting both irons and scope needs more consideration. I use Talley medium scope bases when a round action.
To uplander01 point. The section mating to the action front ring has the same radius of curvature as the action, just set below, 50/1000 or so. This give a nice interface.
Anyhow, I appreciate the comments.
Steve
 
Should the rear of a proper quarter rib not be perfectly level it’s entire length and flush with the square bridge offering a seamless flow between the two?

If it’s not level the entire length it sort of defeats the purpose of a quarter rib does it not? May as well not even bother with one in that case.
I completely understand your point and to me there are quarter ribs for doubles (which your above observation would hold true 100% with me) and slightly different ones for magazine rifles with scope options, but that’s just my preference.
 
My, still not finished, custom rifle has a similar design on the quarter rib as the Johanssen example above. I think they do it like that so the scope can have larger oobjective bell without getting in conflict with the open sights.

Screenshot_20240704_132847_Gallery.jpg
 
Who made that one?
I ordered it from a german engraver named Manfred Fleischer who did all of the engraving, unfortunately I did not got any information about who did the gunsmith work.

The end result turned out great I think.

20250428_134318.jpg
 
When Douglas barrels replaced the old Tracer Lathe with a new CNC lathe a year or so ago. That caused a slight change in the breech contour. So many of the off the shelf 1/4 ribs no longer match up with the new barrel contour.
That is why I always make a fiberglass impression of each customers barrel and then profile the 1/4 rib to match the barrel contour.

WCF
 
When Douglas barrels replaced the old Tracer Lathe with a new CNC lathe a year or so ago. That caused a slight change in the breech contour. So many of the off the shelf 1/4 ribs no longer match up with the new barrel contour.
That is why I always make a fiberglass impression of each customers barrel and then profile the 1/4 rib to match the barrel contour.

WCF
Do ou make and insall them or just make? And do you have a website
 
you are correct, Sir. I must say, as a retired engineer with time on my hands, I designed the aforementioned quarter. The top base is set to be the same height as either a square bridge or a scope base from the action centerline and yes, not much of a sight plane but it still aids in sight acquisition.
I use a term, "goldline" which the amount of visible gold fill from the bottom of the filed V to the square bridge and try to keep this around 150/1000 for good pickup and this is a determining factor.
But in this day and ag, I have to consider scopes. The step down from the top of the base is to provide clearance for a scope with 42mm objective. If the top base was extended back for a better sight plane, would need a smaller objective or taller scope bases (then the stock design for sighting both irons and scope needs more consideration. I use Talley medium scope bases when a round action.
To uplander01 point. The section mating to the action front ring has the same radius of curvature as the action, just set below, 50/1000 or so. This give a nice interface.
Anyhow, I appreciate the comments.
Steve
I’ve wondered about the down step on occational 1/4 fitted rifles. Now I know and it makes perfect sense. Very good. Here are couple of my go to rifles with different variations.
IMG_1874.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,180
Members
169,918
Latest member
WildHare
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top