Qatar Airways Ammo Weigh-In...

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am flying Qatar to Zimbabwe in less than a month. I never had an airline weigh my ammo on an outbound trip including Emirates last year (inbound yes, but then I am very light ;) ).

So, I have questions. Do they weigh ammo as a rule (I am flying from LAX)? If they weigh it, do they let you take the ammo out of the ammo box (small Pelican) and weigh it or do they insist the 11 pounds need to include the 1.6 pound case as well. I am at 10.8 pounds without the box.

My understanding from last year with the is that the weight included the case but I don’t specifically remember them weighing the case on my flight. They asked for the weight but did not weigh it to my knowledge.

I flew Qatar from Chicago last year. I removed the ammo from the case for them to weigh it.

AA checked our checked bags thru to JNB last July, so Qatar in DFW never saw it. But @TRAVEL EXPRESS
told us it was the weight of the ammo (only), and we (Travel Express) reported the ammo weight electronically. My understanding is the ammo only comes out if the ammo box is over.

Flying to Tanzania last year on Qatar, out of San Francisco, they weighed my ammo. I was right at the limit, so reminded the counter personnel that the ammo by itself can weigh 11 lbs, so they weighed it without the case and accepted that. Flying home from Dar Es Salaam, they weighed the ammo again, but it was quite a bit less by then.

On my trip this month I checked everything through to Joberg from Denver on AA and then Qatar in Dallas with my ammo not being weighed.

But on my trip home Qutar weighed it in Joberg. So they got the weight of my 40 empty brass and 20 loaded shells

Departing:

Qatar weighed my ammo with the case when I left for Africa in May 2021. At was at 10.8 pounds. I had cleaned my firearms after a last day at the range. Because I carry concealed my 44 mag, out of habit I reloaded the 44. The people at Qatar Airways we're great and understanding about what could have been a much worse situation and asked if I wanted to put the ammo in my ammo box. I left it with the gentleman who was fast tracking/processing my paperwork. They guesstimated my ammo weight at just under 11 pounds of ammo without my ammo box.

Using a baggage scale at home to ensure my weight limits I knew I was barely under 11 pounds by 1 44 mag cartridge. So the Qatar Airways folks must be familiar with Pelican ammo cases for an accurate guesstimation of tare weight.

Returning:

Qatar didn't weight my ammo.

I flew out of Dulles International Airport, DC.

Delta weighed my ammo in Wilmington, NC last week. I'm ditching the Pelican and going with some cheap ass MTM that has a spot for a lock.

We flew Qatar from DFW to JNB returning on 10 June. They did not weigh our ammunition on departure and we returned with no brass or ammo. We have previously flown Qatar and they have never weighed our ammo.

Safe travels

2 weeks ago they asked how much ammo I had but didn’t weigh. I said approximately 2 kg.

I have had it weighed and others just ask the weight. Although coming home one trip in Johannesburg they weighed case and ammo and said I was over weight. For $10 they put two boxes of 308 in a small cardboard box and then checked us in. But that’s Johannesburg….

I am flying Qatar to Zimbabwe in less than a month. I never had an airline weigh my ammo on an outbound trip including Emirates last year (inbound yes, but then I am very light ;) ).

So, I have questions. Do they weigh ammo as a rule (I am flying from LAX)? If they weigh it, do they let you take the ammo out of the ammo box (small Pelican) and weigh it or do they insist the 11 pounds need to include the 1.6 pound case as well. I am at 10.8 pounds without the box.
They have not weighed it regularly. This last trip they just asked what the ammo weighed. IATA regs say 11lbs of ammo so the case does not count. What ever those of us who’ve traveled with them say it can be different each time. Airline personnel are horribly trained these days. Be patient and know the exact rules.

@Tanks , I guess you'll need to bring a 375 and leave those big 500 shells at home. You know.....to save on weight. LOL!!!
Actually, this year I am saving weight by taking the .300 RUM and leaving the 9.3x74R home. 40 rounds of RUM and 44 rounds of .500 NE (22 softs and 22 solids). More than enough, I just like to use all allotment just in case I need something to be re-sighted in (never had to, but you know Murphy).

Delta weighed my ammo in Wilmington, NC last week. I'm ditching the Pelican and going with some cheap ass MTM that has a spot for a lock.
Why ditch the Pelican? African airlines are pretty hard in cases and you need a tough one. If people start traveling with crap cases and ammo gets dumped in the belly of the plane we can lose our ability to fly with guns!

From the condition of my Pelican after 9 trips with ammo, I am not sure the MTM case would last very long IF the case were shipped separately from carry on as required in SA.

Why ditch the Pelican? African airlines are pretty hard in cases and you need a tough one. If people start traveling with crap cases and ammo gets dumped in the belly of the plane we can lose our ability to fly with guns!

I travel with a Pelican 1615 locked, inside is another pelican full of ammo, locked. TSA weighed the whole case with ammo. Some TSA will weigh the ammo separate from the case some include the case. These clowns insisted on weighing the whole case. No need for the extra case weight for the ammo. Yeah Pelican is great, but heavy.

So what is exactly the rule for taking ammo to Zim via Qatar? In the past, when going to SA, I've always packed my lockable ammo box inside my checked luggage. Is that not the case when going to Zim?

Since in many cases ammo can travel as part of your regular checked luggage, it would make no sense for the weight limit to include the bag.

The last time I flew Qatar from Montreal to Doha and then from Doha to JNB, the ammo was in my regular duffel bag, which weighed about 50 lbs. I was asked how much the amount weighed and I said less than 11 lbs., and they were good with that.

That‘s what I’ve used on both my trips. Coming back from Namibia, I had to remove from my duffle. It‘s no Pelican but it held up fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyAcker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….