Qatar Airways Ammo Weigh-In...

So what is exactly the rule for taking ammo to Zim via Qatar? In the past, when going to SA, I've always packed my lockable ammo box inside my checked luggage. Is that not the case when going to Zim?
Yes. However, on the way back I had to take the case out and let them weigh it and then put it back in the luggage.

Most likely they will not do it outbound as it would hold people up.

Yes, they weigh it. Sometimes you have to "coach" them and point out that, if you have your ammo boxes inside a lockable Pelican, the weight of the Pelican doesn't count towards the total. You may have to then take the actual ammo boxes out of the Pelican in front of them and have them weighed, but this is a minor inconvenience. X lbs of ammo does not mean X lbs of ammo counting the lockable case.

This does it for them. I had that happen both in the USA and in Jo'burg. Be patient with newer employees and realize that we hunters are a microscopic percentage of their business.

Last year Qatar weighed ammo both going over and returning. Had to take box out of luggage, I used a cheap MTM with a TSA lock and it held up fine. We flew Dulles-Doha-Johannesburg and return.

I travel with a Pelican 1615 locked, inside is another pelican full of ammo, locked. TSA weighed the whole case with ammo. Some TSA will weigh the ammo separate from the case some include the case. These clowns insisted on weighing the whole case. No need for the extra case weight for the ammo. Yeah Pelican is great, but heavy.
But unless you are shooting big bore ammo there is no reason, even with the Pelican 1200, you would not be in total under 11 pounds. Maybe you are using a larger Pelican ammo box than I am. The 1200 holds 5 boxes of .300Win or similar.

So what is exactly the rule for taking ammo to Zim via Qatar? In the past, when going to SA, I've always packed my lockable ammo box inside my checked luggage. Is that not the case when going to Zim?
Yes this is the case. Only domestic/regional flights from JNB make you take ammo out of your suitcase.

From the condition of my Pelican after 9 trips with ammo, I am not sure the MTM case would last very long IF the case were shipped separately from carry on as required in SA.
Yes sir and this is my point. I cringe when I see guys with cheap ammo boxes! If they bust open it can ruin air travel for us all.

Hi All,
What I will add here and has been mentioned in this thread is that you are reliant on the checking in staff on duty that day! I appreciate this thread mentions American airports, but flying from London Heathrow, in May 22 they have it as 5kg including the case, as the staffs interpretation. We also experienced that at JNB on return, the case would be weighed. We use a SKB (pistol) case, have seen the mtm used and handled quite roughly, so a possible risk of being smashed? Qatar as far as travelling to SA, two separate boxes for firearms and ammo, no option to have ammo box in checking in hold luggage.

I’ve flown with a variety of airlines with my firearms. My take is it’s very much up to the checkin staff. Some are clued up, the others not. ‍♂️.
I tend now to keep ammunition and container to 5kgs/11lbs gross. That is really quite a bit of ammunition. It equated to 40 rounds of 375 and 80 rounds of 275 including the box on the last trip to Namibia.

I’ve flown with a variety of airlines with my firearms. My take is it’s very much up to the checkin staff. Some are clued up, the others not. ‍♂️.
I tend now to keep ammunition and container to 5kgs/11lbs gross. That is really quite a bit of ammunition. It equated to 40 rounds of 375 and 80 rounds of 275 including the box on the last trip to Namibia.
I flew with United last September then again last month. On both trips I asked the check-in person if they wanted to see my ammo, then I asked TSA if they wanted to see it, both times, both places, they both said 'no'. Then I read so many of these posts were other airlines and or check-in people want to see the ammo and or weigh it. Certainly no consistency taking ammo to Africa.

I flew with United last September then again last month. On both trips I asked the check-in person if they wanted to see my ammo, then I asked TSA if they wanted to see it, both times, both places, they both said 'no'. Then I read so many of these posts were other airlines and or check-in people want to see the ammo and or weigh it. Certainly no consistency taking ammo to Africa.
You got this perfectly. No consistency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariamOliv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….