Qatar Airlines and rifles

Edster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Anyone have any insight for flying with rifles on Qatar. Have heard all that needs to be done is that number of rifles and weight of ammo needs to be noted on ticket.
Have also heard that you need to email them and get approval/acknowledgment.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Anyone have any insight for flying with rifles on Qatar. Have heard all that needs to be done is that number of rifles and weight of ammo needs to be noted on ticket.

Many of us here have flown QA. You’ve basically got the process correct. I’m about and about at the moment and only have my phone with me. But there’s somewhere on the QA website that explains the process. Likely under a baggage tab. I’ll try to remember and look it up later for you if you don’t find it first.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Your call but best to use an experienced travel agent, especially in today's climate. Trying to wing it on your own could be a recipe for confiscation of your firearms.

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I am flying Qatar for first time this May. Travel Express is handling the Qatar paperwork. Best to use and experienced travel agent with all going on as others have said. Jennifer said I need to send her copy of invitation letter from PH, copy of Form 4457 and she would handle the rest. That’s why I use them because they are always on top of any changes that you might not be aware of.

Edster

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I am flying Qatar for first time this May. Travel Express is handling the Qatar paperwork. Best to use and experienced travel agent with all going on as others have said. Jennifer said I need to send her copy of invitation letter from PH, copy of Form 4457 and she would handle the rest. That’s why I use them because they are always on top of any changes that you might not be aware of.

I’m using Travel Express and Lori has yet to ask for any paperwork. I had actually questioned about any other info other than number of rifles and weight of ammo and was told that was all she needed.

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I’m using Travel Express and Lori has yet to ask for any paperwork. I had actually questioned about any other info other than number of rifles and weight of ammo and was told that was all she needed.

You are correct. I just looked at my email from Jennifer. It asked only for the number of rifles and weight of ammo.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I’d love to hear a report from those of you using Qatar this year. I am always interested in checking out other airlines.

Ed Lally

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
I wrote to Qatar in Boston a week ago requesting pre-approval for pre-approval to transport firearms. No response yet. I emailed FastJet in Zim and AirLink in RSA, sending my 4457, passport, itenary, copy if applications for import licenses and description of firearms and ammunition and received email confirmation of pre-approval from both within 7 days. Will advise when Qatar responds.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
I wrote to Qatar in Boston a week ago requesting pre-approval for pre-approval to transport firearms. No response yet. I emailed FastJet in Zim and AirLink in RSA, sending my 4457, passport, itenary, copy if applications for import licenses and description of firearms and ammunition and received email confirmation of pre-approval from both within 7 days. Will advise when Qatar responds.

If you haven’t heard from them in a week, give them a call. I have flown firearms on Qatar several times without issues. A week without any response is too long, sometimes emails get lost of missed.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

M Whitley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’d love to hear a report from those of you using Qatar this year. I am always interested in checking out other airlines.

Flew Qatar from Ft. Worth-Doha-Arusha in October 2020 and back the same route. Honestly best service and newest plane I have flown. I will fly Qatar if I can going forward, makes Delta much less appealing.

Image1614691160.281623.jpg

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I flew with them but didn't take my rifle. They have nice planes and the airport at Doha is great. But cattle class is all about the same on all airlines.

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
We need to hear from some that have flown with them in cattle class.
In many cases business class is about the same as delta premium select.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Flew Qatar from Ft. Worth-Doha-Arusha in October 2020 and back the same route. Honestly best service and newest plane I have flown. I will fly Qatar if I can going forward, makes Delta much less appealing.

View attachment 391340
Was this a business or first class seat?

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
I’ve flown all three classes with them. Never had any issues.

Flown economy with them several times both internationally and regionally... always a positive experience

Nature Boy

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, Mozambique
Yes, I flew them to Tanzania last September. I use Steve Turner of Travel with Guns Travel Agency (imo the best) and you need that pre approval form for the firearm. TWG did that for me. A great airline and I upgraded to business class and it is your own little cabin with a bed that goes vertical and first class food and drinks. They have won best business class like 5 of the last 6 years I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EleanoreSt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.