Pros & Cons Of Hunting With Muzzleloaders?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders & Black Powder' started by SAFalconer, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Sivie

Sivie AH Member

wish it was that easy

2. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hmm.....interesting thread. But I have to disagree with some of the comments. Not as accurate? I've seen some 100 yard groups shot with patched round ball that made the guys shooting modern rifles on the range that day drool with envy! Not good much past 60 yards? Better there were a lot of British grenadiers that were 300 yards away from the main line whose souls would disagree with that statement (although I will agree that in order to be ethical, one should get closer with a muzzleloader, and 100 yards or so is a good rule of thumb).
    Dirty?......yes, but clean up is as easy as hot water and ivory soap.
    Slow? .....yes, but that just impresses upon the hunter to make sure that his first shot counts.
    Fun?......yes, but it can also be addicting, so just remember that.

In addition, once you start hunting with BP firearms, esp. traditional ones, you'll find that your hunting skills (and possibly your shooting skills) will improve, and translate over to your use of modern day, "new fangled" firearms.........;):D

3. Lee M

Lee M AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, USA, Canada
    Agree with 16 gauge, both fun and addicting! I have taken quite a few whitetails with my iron sighted .50 cal flintlock and patched round balls at reasonable distances. Used that exclusively for many years when I was on active duty and only got home to Pennsylvania around the Christmas holiday when the primitive season opened. Some fond memories.

Mr. 16 gauge and Velo Dog like this.

4. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 CONTRIBUTOR AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
    Hunted:
    Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
    SAFalconer, Redleg has explained the difference in the so-called MUZZLELOADERS, and there is a big difference between the two. One is a real muzzleloader that requires the hunter to hunt with the conditions that were offered to the hunters who used those rifles that were the top of the line for the times when that was the modern firearm. There are states where this is the only kind that is allowed during a MUZZLELOADER SEASON for hunting game animals.

Then you have the in-line, break top, bolt action, scoped, shotgun primered, plastic stocked things that are only muzzleloaders because the powder { pellets, and in one rifle even smokeless powder} can be poured down the muzzle, and a bullet pushed down to the powder. These have little resemblance to traditional muzzleloaders. With these, most were original bought simply to get an extra season to hunt deer and in woods or tree stand hunting this type is at no real disadvantage to a modern rifle.

I personally have no problem with others using these modern rifles but my choice is to use the traditional muzzleloaders.

Velo Dog likes this.

5. ChrisG

ChrisG BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    Pros: They are ridiculously awesome! It is the only hunting season when I get to don my traditional apparel, a possibles bag, some Goex black, and some hand cast, pure lead .50 minie balls for my sidelock T/C New Englander. Then I get to trek through the woods hoping to find my quarry and sneak to within 50-75 yards and then get one, rotten-egg smell, smoke obscured shot, to take the animal. It's pretty exhilarating.

(If you're lazy) Cons:
    No follow up shot
    Dirty
    Limited Range
    Limited bullet choice
    difficulty in finding real black powder
    Loading time

Real Cons: There are none. Muzzleloaders are AWESOME!

Lee M and Velo Dog like this.

6. Lee M

Lee M AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, USA, Canada
    Nothing like an old flint and steel smokepole! I have a T/C Renegade I bought in the mid 1980's that has taken quite a few whitetails with a patched round ball. I never took the next step to the modern version. Still has the original iron sights

Velo Dog likes this.

7. EDELWEISS

EDELWEISS AH Enthusiast

Hunted:
    US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
    Once you accept that MUZZLE LOADERS are traditional weapons (not the silly In Line/209/smokeless powder guns), then you realize that hunting is part you, part the animal, and part equipment. Just like dangerous game isnt DANGEROUS at 500 yards, Muzzle Loaders turn all hunts into up close affairs. ENJOY the excitement! When your buddy talks about the ______ he shot across the valley and you show him the _______ you shot at a distance measured in feet; ask your buddy why he didnt just stay at home and call in a drone strike?

Lee M, Velo Dog and ChrisG like this.

8. curtism1234

curtism1234 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunted: RSA, MO, WY. Fished: MO, IL, AR, MS, FL, WI, MI, WY
    I've been killing probably 2/3rd's of my deer with a 50 caliber sidelock for going on 25 years. A 50 caliber is a deer dropping machine, though I would go with a 54 for larger game.

An inline in 2016 (and many years now) might as well be a single shot centerfire. I don't see a whole lot of pride / doing it the old fashioned way as much as it is a way to extend a hunting season here in the States. If it's important to you to hunt Africa with an inline, then talk to some outfitters. I'd just assume use a centerfire on these expensive hunts.