Proper setup?

check my previous post concerning when is a arrow to heavy.had great feedback on question.I ran into same problem local archery shop recently they thought speed was more important.I was shooting carbon express 350 with 125 broadhead arrow weight was 410 . archery shop added a plastic sleeve inside of arrow and now with 175 grain broadhead arrow 600grains.spent 3 hours shooting lighter vs heavier combos side by side to see which gave better penetration.my best was with 150 grain field tip on the heavy arrow.bow is quieter with heavy arrow but slower about 4 inch more penetration with 150 and 425 arrow vs 100grain field tip on 410 grain arrow. surprising going to 175 and 200 and 225 field tip the penetration decreased compared to 150 set up . do some field testing for best results

How many pounds pull are you shooting?

Good setup. I might recommend a pack of DirtNap Gear broadheads (100 up to 175) (y)but otherwise go for it!

Good setup. I might recommend a pack of DirtNap Gear broadheads (100 up to 175) (y)but otherwise go for it!

Thanks man. Unfortunately I was lied to by my local archery shop(as usual). I'm actually shooting 64.2 pounds with my 600gr arrow at 219.75 fps for 64 KE. Hoping this still works and hopefully I didn't waste a bunch of time setting up for something less than recommended to take down a Heartmanns Mountain Zebra

I've also heard good things about DirtNap broadheads. Right now I'm pretty hooked on the VPA 200gr

You should be fine. I brought one down and lost another with what I thought was a perfect hit shooting 60 lbs draw and a 450-ish grain arrow. With the heavier arrow and an extra 4lbs of draw, you likely are golden. I don't have my SFA program handy, but I think you have more KE than I did (28" draw length on a 330 IBO speed bow). I have since moved to a 70lb bow and 650 grain arrow - which is more than needed for Zebra but is better suited toward Wildebeest, Eland and some other tougher animals.

You should be fine. I brought one down and lost another with what I thought was a perfect hit shooting 60 lbs draw and a 450-ish grain arrow. With the heavier arrow and an extra 4lbs of draw, you likely are golden. I don't have my SFA program handy, but I think you have more KE than I did (28" draw length on a 330 IBO speed bow). I have since moved to a 70lb bow and 650 grain arrow - which is more than needed for Zebra but is better suited toward Wildebeest, Eland and some other tougher animals.

Thanks man,

I'm also considering cranking it up as I build strength but don't want to have to go through all of that if it's not necessary(i.e. Changing sight tapes, sighting in again,etc.). So hopefully 64KE will do the trick. If anyone thinks that it is absolutely necessary to crank up the poundage then let me know. Also need to keep it at a comfortable draw weight so I'm not struggling with it in the field and so I can hold for the shot

If you can keep your 60 yd. groups looking like the one you posted you should have no trouble taking game at that distance. I assume that you are practicing with field or target points at these distances. Just for giggles have you tried shooting your preferred hunting Broadheads at 60 yds. as well? Do you have any paper targets of the animals you intend to hunt in Africa? If not, I'd suggest getting some and then practice from angles other than "perfectly" broadside. You might also consider practicing from different elevations i.e. with you higher or lower than the target. On other than broadside shots you need to be more mindful of the arrows point of exit rather than the point of entry.

I must confess that I've never hunted Africa with a bow. My experience (57 yrs.) with a recurve or compound bow has been Michigan White tails. At age 70 my Matthews was still set a 70 lbs. I generally restricted my shots to less than 35 yds. although I did make one 40 yd. kill shot. On that day the wind masked the sound of the shot or I'd never have taken it. There was a good post and video on AH a while back on practical ranges for bow hunting in Africa showing warthogs jumping the string at 25 yards. After watching it you may want to reconsider the 60 & 80 yard shots you are contemplating.

I hope you and Velo Dog enjoy your African hunt.

If you can keep your 60 yd. groups looking like the one you posted you should have no trouble taking game at that distance. I assume that you are practicing with field or target points at these distances. Just for giggles have you tried shooting your preferred hunting Broadheads at 60 yds. as well? Do you have any paper targets of the animals you intend to hunt in Africa? If not, I'd suggest getting some and then practice from angles other than "perfectly" broadside. You might also consider practicing from different elevations i.e. with you higher or lower than the target. On other than broadside shots you need to be more mindful of the arrows point of exit rather than the point of entry.

I must confess that I've never hunted Africa with a bow. My experience (57 yrs.) with a recurve or compound bow has been Michigan White tails. At age 70 my Matthews was still set a 70 lbs. I generally restricted my shots to less than 35 yds. although I did make one 40 yd. kill shot. On that day the wind masked the sound of the shot or I'd never have taken it. There was a good post and video on AH a while back on practical ranges for bow hunting in Africa showing warthogs jumping the string at 25 yards. After watching it you may want to reconsider the 60 & 80 yard shots you are contemplating.

I hope you and Velo Dog enjoy your African hunt.

Thanks Shootist,

Any idea where I can get paper or preferably burlap picture targets for African game? 3D targets are just too expensive.

DL

I've never seen african animals printed on poly or burlap so I'd go with the Morreel life sized face targets in something similar such as the Sheep and javelina.
3230071-ram.jpg
. I own the javelina, it's taken a fair amount of shots.

Thanks Shootist,

Any idea where I can get paper or preferably burlap picture targets for African game? 3D targets are just too expensive.

DL
I recall someone posting a source for paper targets of African animals on a previous AH thread. I'm sure you can find it with a couple of searches. Maybe Brickburn can help.

I recall someone posting a source for paper targets of African animals on a previous AH thread. I'm sure you can find it with a couple of searches. Maybe Brickburn can help.

Brickburn! Come in Brickburn.....over.

You got my curiousity up so I went looking for paper face targets in African species. The IFAA shows a few groups of them by Guthrie, whomever they are. I couldn't find anywhere to buy them. So I went looking on South African archery shop sites and at Hide-Outs site www.hide-out.co.za/targets I found 2-D target faces. Opening the drop down they claim to have 8 different animals. The Impala they show is pretty good. Now if they'll ship over here is the fun part. The rest I'll let you do the work.

Screenshot (260).png

Last edited by a moderator:
You got my curiousity up so I went looking for paper face targets in African species. The IFAA shows a few groups of them by Guthrie, whomever they are. I couldn't find anywhere to buy them. So I went looking on South African archery shop sites and at Hide-Outs site www.hide-out.co.za/targets I found 2-D target faces. Opening the drop down they claim to have 8 different animals. The Impala they show is pretty good. Now if they'll ship over here is the fun part. The rest I'll let you do the work.

I checked them out and what they have to offer is right up my alley. Price is a bit steep due to the shipping so about $52 for one target(includes shipping). I think the way to go would be to order a few at a time.

Thanks for finding this out

IMG_2270.JPG

Being the el cheapo that I am, I wonder if one could just use typical deer, elk paper targets by simply spray painting an impact zone a little farther forward.
I'd suggest spot-on the shoulder but down in the lower 1/3 of it.
Same idea with boar targets to take the place of warthog practice.

As you know, I'm no archer therefore, I'm not even sure if an arrow will break wildebeest, gemsbok, especially zebra / Eland shoulder bone.
If not, I presume you'll have to avoid quartering toward you shots on these large species.
Even broadside shots in the big dudes seem like will need precise placement to just pass heavy bone but yet still pierce heart and / or lungs.

As a rifle person, my above thoughts in archery for Africa might be way off here, as these are only my best uneducated guess.

Being the el cheapo that I am, I wonder if one could just use typical deer, elk paper targets by simply spray painting an impact zone a little farther forward.

That is essentially what I do. I have a couple of 3-D deer targets that I practice on when it is getting close to game time. I have my own '12 ring' right up the front leg, about 1/3 of the way up the body....

Same idea with boar targets to take the place of warthog practice.

As you know, I'm no archer therefore, I'm not even sure if an arrow will break wildebeest, gemsbok, especially zebra / Eland shoulder bone.
If not, I presume you'll have to avoid quartering toward you shots on these large species.
Even broadside shots in the big dudes seem like will need precise placement to just pass heavy bone but yet still pierce heart and / or lungs.

As a rifle person, my above thoughts in archery for Africa might be way off here, as these are only my best uneducated guess.

Certainly not a bad idea. The closer to real I can get the better. I'm assuming that it wouldn't heart to start aiming for the vital spots on the game I will be chasing just so it's more natural to aim differently than I would on any North American game.

If I can't find what I'm looking for then I might use your method of just practicing shots a little farther forward.

Thanks man

That is essentially what I do. I have a couple of 3-D deer targets that I practice on when it is getting close to game time. I have my own '12 ring' right up the front leg, about 1/3 of the way up the body....

I do have a 3D deer target that has seen better days. Might use it with the same concept

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineT

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!