Proper setup?

your setup is perfect for plains games Double Lunger, don't worry be happy :LOL:

Thank you for all of the great information. Currently I am not certain of my fps as I do not have access to a chrony either. The bow manufacturer IBO is 328 fps. The bow is set to 70 pounds, 27.5" draw, and shooting a 582 gr arrow

DoubleLunger

My estimation would be around 210fps. still sufficient considering traditional bows are also capable of kills & spitting arrows slower than that.

I put your information in OnTarget2 and came up with 237 FPS, 72.75 Ft-Lbs KE, 0.613 Momentum.

As I didn't have the stats on your arrows (make, length, fletch brand and type, nock, inserts, etc) so I can't calculate the FOC, but given a 200 grain tip on a 582 grain arrow, I would bet you have an FOC well over 15%.

You are ready for Africa!! Looking forward to the hunt report.

I put your information in OnTarget2 and came up with 237 FPS, 72.75 Ft-Lbs KE, 0.613 Momentum.

As I didn't have the stats on your arrows (make, length, fletch brand and type, nock, inserts, etc) so I can't calculate the FOC, but given a 200 grain tip on a 582 grain arrow, I would bet you have an FOC well over 15%.

You are ready for Africa!! Looking forward to the hunt report.

Thanks. I certainly appreciate that. If it helps I'm shooting the Spartans by Black Eagle 250 spine cut to 28" with blazer veins as well as 30 gr inserts. Just shooting the basic nocks that come with the arrows

Much appreciated my friend and I'm looking forward to sharing an awesome Africa story with you guys on here

Hey DoubleLunger, if you want some arrows cut - send the to me. I can hook you up! ;)

Hey DoubleLunger, if you want some arrows cut - send the to me. I can hook you up! ;)

Thanks buddy. In that case....what type of cutter do you have? Just started looking at them online lol

I couldn't make the arrows line up perfectly unless I assumed a 9 grain wrap on the back and 58 grains on the insert (28 grain is the standard on those arrows so maybe a 30 grain insert weight added to that would make it). The arrow is 10 grains per inch and I didn't see a standard for the nocks so I put in an 18 grain nock/pin to check how it ends up. Using that, it calcs out to 18.37% FOC.

Thanks buddy. In that case....what type of cutter do you have? Just started looking at them online lol

I have everything (and I do mean everything) for dailing in a setup. From arrow saw to bow press to pro balancer to multiple fletching jigs. My saw is an 8000 rpm Weston (the pic below). Not horribly expensive, but I would be happy to hook you up with what ever y0u need while you are scoping out your own stuff. :)

WES35458.gif

Attachments

• WES35458.gif
    WES35458.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 204
I couldn't make the arrows line up perfectly unless I assumed a 9 grain wrap on the back and 58 grains on the insert (28 grain is the standard on those arrows so maybe a 30 grain insert weight added to that would make it). The arrow is 10 grains per inch and I didn't see a standard for the nocks so I put in an 18 grain nock/pin to check how it ends up. Using that, it calcs out to 18.37% FOC.

Thanks again. Yeah I think I do remember those standard inserts being around 28 grains but yes, I have the added 30gr inserts as well.

Much appreciated for looking this up. I feel as if I owe you a fine mug of beer

I have everything (and I do mean everything) for dailing in a setup. From arrow saw to bow press to pro balancer to multiple fletching jigs. My saw is an 8000 rpm Weston (the pic below). Not horribly expensive, but I would be happy to hook you up with what ever y0u need while you are scoping out your own stuff. :)

WES35458.gif

Thanks and I certainly do appreciate it. I will let you know.

I do see myself eventually owning the same type of equipment setup in my garage but first I've got some awesome trips to pay for

Awesome trips certainly take precedence. In the mean time, you are certainly welcome to send stuff 'up north'. I'm in Connecticut, so not a long way away from Northern Virginia.

Awesome trips certainly take precedence. In the mean time, you are certainly welcome to send stuff 'up north'. I'm in Connecticut, so not a long way away from Northern Virginia.

Excellent. Thanks again

I'm going to play devils advocate. My advice is not based on theory but real on the ground experience with archery gear in Africa. I'm not saying that you need to take it but just wanted to give you some hopefully useful advice.

1. Your arrows are not too heavy to be effective.
2. VPA broadheads are very well made.
3. Accuracy is very important but so are other things.
4. African game has a tendency to string jump. There's several ways to counter this. One is accuracy, speed is useful but not at the expense of noise. Shooting undisturbed game also helpful.

In my opinion, you will lose a lot of arrow speed with your set up. That will mean that you have to compensate for drop and create a greater margin for error. Also because your arrows are slow to the target you'll find that some critters jump the string. The distance between where you aim and where you hit will be greater with a slower arrow but not if you use a noisy speed bow because it will startle the animal more. This tends to be more pronounced with smaller antelope.

In my experience the best bow is a quick, quiet accurate bow with a light arrow tipped with a proven broadhead - unless you are hunting bigger animals that are unlikely to string jump such as eland, kudu, wildebeest and zebra - in which case your set up is ideal.

Other factors become equally important such as fletching technique. Noisy vanes create more opportunity to string jump. Also a forgiving bow, ie one with a generous brace height of 7 inches removes a lot of human error in stressful hunting situations.

Hope I have given you a bit of extra very hard earned perspective. As you are already doing, practice is paramount. I shared a camp with a guy from Texas recently who couldn't be told anything. He wounded everything he shot and went home empty-handed. Very humbling experience for him. Even more so after the PH ran off with his bride!

Good luck with your hunt brother.

I'm going to play devils advocate. My advice is not based on theory but real on the ground experience with archery gear in Africa. I'm not saying that you need to take it but just wanted to give you some hopefully useful advice.

1. Your arrows are not too heavy to be effective.
2. VPA broadheads are very well made.
3. Accuracy is very important but so are other things.
4. African game has a tendency to string jump. There's several ways to counter this. One is accuracy, speed is useful but not at the expense of noise. Shooting undisturbed game also helpful.

In my opinion, you will lose a lot of arrow speed with your set up. That will mean that you have to compensate for drop and create a greater margin for error. Also because your arrows are slow to the target you'll find that some critters jump the string. The distance between where you aim and where you hit will be greater with a slower arrow but not if you use a noisy speed bow because it will startle the animal more. This tends to be more pronounced with smaller antelope.

In my experience the best bow is a quick, quiet accurate bow with a light arrow tipped with a proven broadhead - unless you are hunting bigger animals that are unlikely to string jump such as eland, kudu, wildebeest and zebra - in which case your set up is ideal.

Other factors become equally important such as fletching technique. Noisy vanes create more opportunity to string jump. Also a forgiving bow, ie one with a generous brace height of 7 inches removes a lot of human error in stressful hunting situations.

Hope I have given you a bit of extra very hard earned perspective. As you are already doing, practice is paramount. I shared a camp with a guy from Texas recently who couldn't be told anything. He wounded everything he shot and went home empty-handed. Very humbling experience for him. Even more so after the PH ran off with his bride!

Good luck with your hunt brother.

I agree with everything you have stated. Your advice is very helpful. Thank you much

check my previous post concerning when is a arrow to heavy.had great feedback on question.I ran into same problem local archery shop recently they thought speed was more important.I was shooting carbon express 350 with 125 broadhead arrow weight was 410 . archery shop added a plastic sleeve inside of arrow and now with 175 grain broadhead arrow 600grains.spent 3 hours shooting lighter vs heavier combos side by side to see which gave better penetration.my best was with 150 grain field tip on the heavy arrow.bow is quieter with heavy arrow but slower about 4 inch more penetration with 150 and 425 arrow vs 100grain field tip on 410 grain arrow. surprising going to 175 and 200 and 225 field tip the penetration decreased compared to 150 set up . do some field testing for best results

Penetration tests can be affected when using different weight field points as every time you go up in weight you soften the spine so the bow is not tuned for perfect arrow flight unless you take the time to paper tune with each new weight of point the data might not be reliable.

Also, animals and targets are very different and penetration tests on one won't necessarily match results of the other one.

check my previous post concerning when is a arrow to heavy.had great feedback on question.I ran into same problem local archery shop recently they thought speed was more important.I was shooting carbon express 350 with 125 broadhead arrow weight was 410 . archery shop added a plastic sleeve inside of arrow and now with 175 grain broadhead arrow 600grains.spent 3 hours shooting lighter vs heavier combos side by side to see which gave better penetration.my best was with 150 grain field tip on the heavy arrow.bow is quieter with heavy arrow but slower about 4 inch more penetration with 150 and 425 arrow vs 100grain field tip on 410 grain arrow. surprising going to 175 and 200 and 225 field tip the penetration decreased compared to 150 set up . do some field testing for best results

Shooting a 200 gr now. Field tested my setup on pigs in Hawaii and I think I'm set. It's all about being accurate at this point
IMG_1868.JPG

Also, animals and targets are very different and penetration tests on one won't necessarily match results of the other one.

Very true. What an arrow does in a target is not necessarily an indication of what that arrow will do in an animal.

Six inch plates at 40 yards?
I know you too well to necessarily believe your groups span all the way across the plate.
And if I'm wrong, due to the new, unfamiliar tackle, etc., I'm quite sure you will keep at it until you will soon need individual target spots to avoid striking one arrow with the next.
It's partly because you you live in the woods and can shoot on your property every day.
Plus I remember that you never stop until you get it right, no matter what it is.
I can't hit the ground with an arrow but, I know for a fact you can shoot some stick smart guy and so, you don't fool me at all.

IMG_2229.JPG

Out to 60 now. Now that I'm posting this I probably couldn't group again like that if I tried

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois