Project Goal: Ruger No1 in 460WBY for Speer AGS Tungsten Solids

As I said previously, go ahead and do what you want, and the OP as well... but you don't need to try to justify it on the basis of "financial investment." I do far more than my share of silly projects... lol.

Exhibit A; The 7.62X57 Hoytcanon

View attachment 590181View attachment 590182View attachment 590183
We all love our projects! Although I'll wager your B78 reamed to 45-110 sells faster than a stock 45-70. I did the same to my "Quigley " and buddies always want to buy it off me rather than a new 45-70 for the 'fun' factor.

We all love our projects! Although I'll wager your B78 reamed to 45-110 sells faster than a stock 45-70. I did the same to my "Quigley " and buddies always want to buy it off me rather than a new 45-70 for the 'fun' factor.
When I do silly stuff, I never expect to get my money back... some, but definitely not all... but it's a hobby and playing with guns and cartridges = fun... "fun" is worth investing in.

7.62x57

That has to be the finest example of Rifle Looney that I’ve seen.

You have managed to fill the gap between 308 and 30-06 with a cartridge that fills the gap between 7x57 and 8x57.

Actually a perfectly useful,unique cartridge but it seems like a lot of effort to build and use.

But if it makes you happy then it’s worth it.

7.62x57

That has to be the finest example of Rifle Looney that I’ve seen.

You have managed to fill the gap between 308 and 30-06 with a cartridge that fills the gap between 7x57 and 8x57.

Actually a perfectly useful,unique cartridge but it seems like a lot of effort to build and use.

But if it makes you happy then it’s worth it.

Compiling reamer and dies, took some time, but the first one was a Ruger M77 Mark II .30/06 set back 1/2" and rechambered... I have since built a couple more. As far as "use" goes, it is very easy... PRVI 8X57 brass necked down in a single pass, snugs the chamber as it should.

Settling the .308 vs .30/06 debate was the point... it occurred to me to be an odd oversight that the X57 case was never really standardized in .30 caliber... so I set out to fix that. There are three of them hunting in Canada now, on in BC, one in Alberta, and the one I carry about... as it turned out, it is a very pleasant cartridge that is closer to the .30/06, and has a very mellow recoil cycle, despite moving 180 grain bullets at 2750... it has been the bane of every deer, bear and moose I pointed it at. So all-in-all, I got "my jollies" from it.

Last edited:
When I do silly stuff, I never expect to get my money back... some, but definitely not all... but it's a hobby and playing with guns and cartridges = fun... "fun" is worth investing in.
My projects follow similar. Fun, with a specific purpose and intent. Mine rarely leave my ownership, but some get talked out of me by friends who really want it and I take that to fund the next project.

I think there was a 30 caliber mauser cartridge but it was built on a .311 bullet like the 303 british.

7.65 Argentine Mauser?

But your rifle uses the more available .308 bullets and 8x57 brass so it’s a much better modern wildcat.

I think there was a 30 caliber mauser cartridge but it was built on a .311 bullet like the 303 british.

7.65 Argentine Mauser?

But your rifle uses the more available .308 bullets and 8x57 brass so it’s a much better modern wildcat.

Yeah, there were a couple that came close, but nothing that would make an NA hunter happy... nothing makes an NA hunter happier that a .308" hole... my current 7.62X57 HC has been modified to carry while guiding... but enough of my hijacking the OP's thread... carry on... make that Ruger No.1 bite!

20231209_122111.jpg

What do the ballistics look like for this .308?
CFE-223 is moving 180 NAB/NBT's @ 2750... wonderful medium game cartridge and load... would do just as well on PG with the NAB's... with a 200 yard zero, it is 3" low at 250 and 7" low at 300, and still carrying 2100 ft/lb of energy. With a lovely gentle nudge for recoil.

Last edited:
CFE-223 is moving 180 NAB/NBT's @ 2750... wonderful medium game cartridge and load... would do just as well on PG with the NAB's.
I just did a search on .308 x 2.244 and got a hit; 7.5x57mm French M1924. An old military cartridge leftover from WWI. I don't know anything about your pet other than those 2 dimensions but the info I found stated it was in the 30-06 range as is yours. No big surprise there.

So what were your goals with your wildcat?

As I said previously, go ahead and do what you want, and the OP as well... but you don't need to try to justify it on the basis of "financial investment." I do far more than my share of silly projects... lol.

Exhibit A; The 7.62X57 Hoytcanon

View attachment 590181
The only thing to complain about with this is the font for engraving of the chambering.
Otherwise pretty neat idea.

This thread is turning into a pissing match pretty quickly, but I guess that's to be expected anymore. If we made it about reboring an R8 to .460 WBY then we could have some real fun with an expanded "caste" of characters... :A Stirring:

Obviously the OP is ashamed to own a .458 Lott.
Just wants to change it to something else, anything else.
Afterall, James Watts had the .450 Watts Magnum shooting in 1949.
Jack Lott waited until 1971 to fabricate an excuse to take the identical .450 Watts reamer
and apply it to a SAAMI .458 WinMag rifle.
That reamer produced a 2.870" chamber length to allow 2.850" max brass length.
Jack noticed that his .375 H&H brass shortened so much in fireforming that he
needed to trim it to 2.800". Voila. Different cartridge, needs a new name, NOT !

22 years later the guilt of stolen valor killed Jack.
Yet others persisted in wrongly naming the .450 Watts Magnum shortened by 0.050".
They even got the cartridge SAAMI homologated about 1998 as the posthumous ".458 Lott,"
with a short and tight throat, unlike the residual .458 WinMag throat on the wildcat ".458 Lott."
They even allowed the ".458 Lott" to operate at higher pressure, to prop it up in the minds of the public. Just a marketing gimmick to sell more goods since everyone already had a .458 WinMag.
If the .458 WinMag is loaded to the same higher pressure and longer COL as the ".458 Lott"
the latter eats the dust of the former.

CFE-223 is moving 180 NAB/NBT's @ 2750... wonderful medium game cartridge and load... would do just as well on PG with the NAB's... with a 200 yard zero, it is 3" low at 250 and 7" low at 300, and still carrying 2100 ft/lb of energy. With a lovely gentle nudge for recoil.
Never mind, this pretty much answers my question .... and you're right so back to original purpose of this thread.

I have heard through the grapevine that .416 Rigby Ruger No.1 rifles are prohibited from having the holes drilled for quarter rib mounting on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons at the factory.
Heh-heh-heh.

The .450 Dakota case head is a .460 WbyMag with the belt turned off.
The .450 Rigby is a me-too that came along a few years after the .450 Dakota.
No nostalgia there and the .450 Rigby chamber is a few thou bigger in diameter where they drill holes over the chamber on a Ruger No. 1.

I once thought about having a Ruger No. 1 .475 Linebaugh re-chambered to 470 Nitro express.
That is a 6 lbs 13 oz rifle with a 20"-long barrel.
I reconsidered.
Heh-heh-heh.

Last edited:
I just did a search on .308 x 2.244 and got a hit; 7.5x57mm French M1924. An old military cartridge leftover from WWI. I don't know anything about your pet other than those 2 dimensions but the info I found stated it was in the 30-06 range as is yours. No big surprise there.

So what were your goals with your wildcat?

I have a liking for the X57 case, at the time I was shooting 6mm Rem, .257 Roberts, 6.5X57, 7X57, 8X57 and 9.3X57... something was missing... plus, I had a plethora of brass and hordes of .30 caliber bullets... it just made sense in my snow-bound, cabin-fevered brain... ironically, only two of those remain, the 7X57 & 7.62X57.. I still have 7X64 and 8X68 though.

The only thing to complain about with this is the font for engraving of the chambering.
Otherwise pretty neat idea.

I agree, he did a terrible engraving job... but he was a month away from retiring after 45 years, so... I get it. I have many times considered, rotating it under and redoing it... but that seems a lot of work to pacify the OCD chirps in the back of my head.

If we made it about reboring an R8 to .460 WBY then we could have some real fun with an expanded "caste" of characters... :A Stirring:
The amount of various heated 'debates' and heel dug stances that go on here between calibers, cartridges, actions, rifles, fences, and more, must truly look dystopia to those on the outside. Though, every forum has their fair share...

Bob, please don’t pick on us 338wm guys but I don’t hear very well. I also have more 35s than 338 wms.
@Flewis
The 35s didn't affect your hearing. It's them thar fire breathin 338wm that make y'all deef.
The 35s are towers of power that kiss the shoulder like a kittens caress and kill out of all proportion. Dang even the baby 35 rem is better than the dirty thirty.
Bob

So is this No1 460 Wby thing dead now? Have we said everything useful and unusful about it? This seems to be wallowing and I'm ashamed to say I've contributed to said wallow.

I have heard through the grapevine that .416 Rigby Ruger No.1 rifles are prohibited from having the holes drilled for quarter rib mounting on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons at the factory.
Heh-heh-heh.

The .450 Dakota case head is a .460 WbyMag with the belt turned off.
The .450 Rigby is a me-too that came along a few years after the .450 Dakota.
No nostalgia there and the .450 Rigby chamber is a few thou bigger in diameter where they drill holes over the chamber on a Ruger No. 1.

I once thought about having a Ruger No. 1 .475 Linebaugh re-chambered to 470 Nitro express.
That is a 6 lbs 13 oz rifle with a 20"-long barrel.
I reconsidered.
Heh-heh-heh.
@Riflecrank
Where's your sense of adventure mate . A 6.5# 470 nitro with a 20 inch barrel would make a nice light carry rifle for hunting those mountain elephant. Recoil wouldn't be nysh if an issue but that short barrel would make it a bit noisy.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iwin72

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani