Fishing Addiction Group

First fish of the 2024-25 season.
IMG_2676.jpeg

And my now 82 year old father with his boat.
IMG_2674.jpeg

My best friend and I met on the first day of school in 1977 when we were 8 years old. Against all odds we have remained so even though we now live in different provinces and we make an effort to see each other at least once a year. He lives in the Kootenays of southeastern B.C. and I just returned home from there yesterday. Of course we just had to do some fishing! We had an excellent day and managed to get 28 Rainbows in the boat and many more misses. Here are a few pics from Sunday.
Resized_20240602_090020.jpeg

IMG_2923.jpeg

Resized_20240602_122241.jpeg

Resized_20240602_102644.jpeg

Resized_20240602_101335.jpeg

I have a general fishing addiction. Mainly prioritizing my local species of preference. Being in Illinois that is largemouth, smallmouth, crappie, and on occasion muskie. However, the last 2 days a group of family and friends went on our annual Lake Michigan charter for salmon/lake trout. Since we went during the Coho run, that is all we caught. I was able to land our big fish of the trip. Check out the pictures.

31805.jpeg

IMG_2719.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg

Fishing for Walleye in South Dakota in 2021. It was a bit chilly :ROFLMAO: Planning on going again this year.

IMG_1771.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

Ever try beer batter walleye fillets ?
Imho the best coating for pickerel fillets, for deep frying, is Henny Penny original chicken coating. Just shake in a zip lock bag, shake off excess coating, and fry in oil. I use canola oil. The coating is very thin, so it doesn’t over power the fish, and the best part is it seals the fish so it doesn’t absorb any oil. Just awesome!

This may be just because of the flash and angle of the fish but it has the mottling of a sauger and the white on the tail of a walleye. Could it be a saug- eye? Seen a few in the upper Mississippi River in Minnesota.
It’s also got the rows of spots on the dorsal fin of a sauger. But anything is possible.

In general I'm not a huge fishing nut but all the reports are getting me excited to go.
Im taking my grandson to kodiak island next week for a first time fishing trip there.
I'll add photos if it goes well.
We've done Oregon sturgeon and Texas alligator gar in the past.

The fish in the top pic is a sauger. And a Hell of a good one!

Yes, I learned that on that night. One of the locals who was fishing with us pointed it out. Didn't know that SD had 4 or 5 different fish that looked like a Walleye. They (locals) called them all Walleyes and treat them as such. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I learned that on that night. One of the locals who was fishing with us pointed it out. Didn't know that SD had 4 or 5 different fish that looked like a Walleye. They (locals) called them all Walleyes and treat them as such. :ROFLMAO:
Look very similar and taste just as good!

Went paddle fishing with my son at Lake Keystone. . He was the champ. Mine were 40,65, and 65. His were 40,65,80 and 108 which is a pretty nice paddlefish. She was probably at least 15 pounds heavier before the spawn.

1717979670425.jpeg

1717979975869.jpeg

1717980124368.jpeg

1717980184598.jpeg

Quite the critter…nothing like that up here! Well maybe sturgeon.
Thanks. This is the first time I have ever fished for them in a lake and we used a guide who has all the equipment. Paddlefish do not eat bait so in the lake you basically hunt them with sonar and try to cast in front of them. You cast a tribble hook (barbs are not allowed) let the hook and weight sink below them and then try to snag them, hoping they haven't changed course (they are always changing course). If the paddle touches the line they change directions before you can set the hook. We probably had 1500-2000 casts to catch the ones we caught. The largest one we probably followed for 20 minutes. We lost contact with most of them before 5 minutes. The state record is 164 lbs, also caught on Keystone. That was the world record until someone caught one in Missouri last month that was a couple pounds larger.

In Oklahoma we also have alligator gar that will regularly go over 100 lbs. You hear of blues and flat heads making 100 lbs but those are probably just stories.

I have been sturgeon fishing once on the Columbia and enjoyed it. Didn't catch one of the monsters but still had a good time.

Thanks. This is the first time I have ever fished for them in a lake and we used a guide who has all the equipment. Paddlefish do not eat bait so in the lake you basically hunt them with sonar and try to cast in front of them. You cast a tribble hook (barbs are not allowed) let the hook and weight sink below them and then try to snag them, hoping they haven't changed course (they are always changing course). If the paddle touches the line they change directions before you can set the hook. We probably had 1500-2000 casts to catch the ones we caught. The largest one we probably followed for 20 minutes. We lost contact with most of them before 5 minutes. The state record is 164 lbs, also caught on Keystone. That was the world record until someone caught one in Missouri last month that was a couple pounds larger.

In Oklahoma we also have alligator gar that will regularly go over 100 lbs. You hear of blues and flat heads making 100 lbs but those are probably just stories.

I have been sturgeon fishing once on the Columbia and enjoyed it. Didn't catch one of the monsters but still had a good time.
Sounds like a very tiring way to fish! Alligator gar are another species that is completely foreign to us.
We don’t have the giant white sturgeon that you fished, we have the smaller lake sturgeon. A big one would be 100-150 pounds. Maybe a bit bigger.

The one that did not get away. Buddy and I headed to Venice, Louisiana for some offshore fishing. Targets were big snapper, tuna and swordfish. We managed to knock it out with a monster 219 lb sword hooked about 1000 ft down and on the line for 3 hours. It was a 3 man crew trading off to get that beast in the boat.
IMG_3599.jpeg
IMG_3704.jpeg
IMG_3579.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneLor

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life