References: Ya I ask for them and email them. They are useful to an extent. If I get a bad feeling from a reference I pay attention. Too good always concerns me.
I have run into some "shills" in my research. Pretend Clients that are actually in cahoots. (I check references out as well, when I get serious about going to a place)

I have a spin on references. I like to get them from people here, people I trust and have gotten to know personally. It adds validity to the reference you certainly can't get through a true third party. And, it gets you honest feedback. I've been told things that weren't always sugar coated and not deal breakers obviously, but nice to know going in.

This also takes care of shills, which happen more often than one might think. You see shills not only in references, but at shows, and even here.

I have a spin on references. I like to get them from people here, people I trust and have gotten to know personally. It adds validity to the reference you certainly can't get through a true third party. And, it gets you honest feedback. I've been told things that weren't always sugar coated and not deal breakers obviously, but nice to know going in.

This also takes care of shills, which happen more often than one might think. You see shills not only in references, but at shows, and even here.

Even here? Say it ain't so. LOL

Good advice^^^

I have really enjoyed reading the different ideas and priorities shown in these posts. To date i have been on 11 guided hunts, most overseas. The only ones that have been disappointing or downright disastrous except one have been when i did not meet the outfitter/P.H. in person before booking. My background in management lets me get a gut feeling quickly during a conversation. I then follow that feeling with research and recommendations. A lot of these have been auction hunts but i have almost always met the outfitter BEFORE bidding. I guess what i am saying is when something strikes you as fishy, listen and do research to confirm or deny.

Dan, you also have a different role than most hunters, as an "agent" and are likely acting as a host role when you are in a Limcroma camp. So, that will likely moderate your willingness to have other folks sharing the camp with you. No issue, just makes your experience different. Perhaps, you are just an Extrovert.

Wayne,
You are spot on in your assessment above. If the hunting or fishing experience began and ended with the fish in the net or animal on the ground, I probably wouldn't do either. We love to immerse ourselves in the culture and environment of every destination that we are fortunate enough to visit. The people we meet, the food we eat, and the travel itself are all part of the adventure for us. My use of "exclusivity" as an example in my post was not meant to be argumentative to your point, but rather supportive to my point that different types of safari clientele will have different goals and expectations, and not all vetting processes are a "one size fits all" solution. However, the process that you laid out in your original post covers the most critical aspects of any vetting process, and would serve most folks extremely well following those guidelines.

And, although it is true that I act as an "agent" representing Limcroma here on this forum, I am also a client that researches and books my own outfitted/guided excursions. My point in saying that is that I try to offer advice and assistance that I would personally value as a client myself in the process of booking a trip. I can honestly say that there have been times when Limcroma was not the best fit for a client looking for a particular experience. In those instances, both Hannes and I have happily tried to be as honest and helpful as possible in pointing that client in the right direction. For us, there is no value in the long run in selling a client a pair of shoes that don't fit. We are here for the long haul, and not trying to make a quick buck from a client that we hope never to see again...There is no shortage of outfitters already out there for that.... I really do think there is a big difference between selling a safari and showcasing an outfitter and letting that sell itself. At least that's what I try and do...

What he said.

What Bruce said is so true.

Species availability - I want to hunt the stuff where it evolved, not where it was just shipped. :)
I'll have a hunting focus and if you have the species available I'll have a look.
Trophy Quality - How is the place managed. I am looking for Rowland Ward trophies when I'm in Africa.
Method of hunting - Can you bow hunt? Do you know how to bow hunt? Can I stalk?
Property size - If it even smells of put and take - by by. Self sustaining properties. Fences matter less than management, size and quality of the property. If I can shoot from one corner to the other, I am shooting, not hunting.
I have hunted small open cattle farms, wide open concessions and large fenced properties and small fenced properties. The disappointment happened on the small properties.

GPS Coordinates: Lodge, properties, etc. I have all the farm names in RSA and Namibia in my software, thus every boundary. I want to know where I am.

Google Earth is my friend. It's even better when you can "street view" the road and see what Google actually has vs a nice picture from a flattering angle.
You can't hide the school half a mile away behind the trees or the sunset from Google Earth!
I also need to know how to get there by driving myself.

Who owns the property - what's the agreement. It is the law in most places.

Competitive pricing - Is the offering (lodging/TF's/day rates/transport, etc) commensurate with the price. Apple to Apples. I have stayed in everything.
The number of websites I reviewed is beyond - As many others do, I created a spread sheet and listed everything. Including all the little details of whats included/excluded: Transfers, skinning, licenses, taxes, fees, etc., etc. If I get any sense of being "nickel and dimed" I will walk away.
Value for money.

Food - I know I will be fed. Sometimes it has been beyond expectation, most times adequate. .
I want to eat what I hunt.

Exclusivity - Having the place to myself/my party. If I wanted to compete with other hunters I can stay home for that.

Laws in the country
Licenses, Qualification, experience.
Charges, convictions.

Professional association
Are they members, have they been suspended or kicked out?

PH Outfitter background
Home, family, other Outfits they may own or have owned. Other businesses.
If there is something out there I will find it.

PH's - I have enjoyed rookies and old hands. Some intensity, with calmness and determination. A good sense of humor is always required.

Community involvement
What do they actually do in the community. Currently, historically.

Website, up to date, informative, transparent, honest.
Up to date trophy pictures. Three year old pictures are the kiss of death.
Did they steal someone else's pictures. (Mine have been misappropriated by an Outfitter.)

Communication
: Email; answer every last question I send. Avoid one or overlook it at your peril. Copies of CAE's, I want the concession/property map, etc.
Being "oversold" or BS'd will terminate my interest.

How does the Outfitter handle problems?
This site provides excellent examples. The guys that hope it all goes away by ignoring it will have me ignoring them. Why would you do business with someone who demonstrates they can not manage a problem?

References: Ya I ask for them and email them. They are useful to an extent. If I get a bad feeling from a reference I pay attention. Too good always concerns me.
I have run into some "shills" in my research. Pretend Clients that are actually in cahoots. (I check references out as well, when I get serious about going to a place)

Hunt reports: Good, bad or indifferent, they provide information.

Very detailed response as always Wayne. I don't find anything that I disagree with or that shouldn't be considered.
For me there has to be a connection on a personal level. Can't say how that always happens but I know when it does.
I think word of mouth is very important when as @reedy0312 says you do the research. When you talk to a fellow hunter about his or her experience you will get a realistic feel for how your hunt should go.
I think a face to face meeting if possible is ideal when picking an outfitter.....body language will tell you a great deal.

Hey Kowas hunting safaris I can tell you I look at forums and posts and I have recently seen that you are linked in a post to shall we say some rather shady dip/pack and taxidermy companies. Guess what that does to your rep ? It would make you a never hunt with you choice for me. And guilty by association with bad businesses.
I have been fed to those wolves so I always want exact details of what, where, who, how my trophies will be handled all the way thru shipment, if I cant get good answers then its a no for me. dip,pack ship is always a major thing that can and does go south and ruins a otherwise good safari.

Hey Kowas hunting safaris I can tell you I look at forums and posts and I have recently seen that you are linked in a post to shall we say some rather shady dip/pack and taxidermy companies. Guess what that does to your rep ? It would make you a never hunt with you choice for me. And guilty by association with bad businesses.
I have been fed to those wolves so I always want exact details of what, where, who, how my trophies will be handled all the way thru shipment, if I cant get good answers then its a no for me. dip,pack ship is always a major thing that can and does go south and ruins a otherwise good safari.

@Buckdog sorry mate but that is really unfair. I was the hunter in question who started that thread so thought it only fair that I reply to your above comment.

@Kowas Hunting Safaris had nothing to do with my trophies being ruined. In fact, quite on the other hand they were as shocked and disappointed as I was and have been nothing but 100% supportive of us, their clients, throughout the whole saga. Kowas took amazing care of our trophies throughout the whole process from the moment the animal was killed till it was in the salt, this I kept a very close eye on as a taxidermist myself and their skinning and trophy care was as good as anywhere I've seen in the world. It was ultimately my choice to use the taxidermist I did.

Choose not to hunt with Kowas if you like, that is your choice. But you'd be missing out on an amazing hunt with exceptional people. I was the one who went through this and I'd hunt with Kowas again, so I can't give any higher recommendation than that. I'd simply choose a different Taxidermy company, which I was free to do all along.

Regards
Tim

Buckdog
Thank you for your honest opinion. It is appreciated. We take note. We understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighFa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you