Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI; DSC
Hunted
Most of US, Canada, South America, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Cameroon, Spain, Serbia, Slovenia, Macedonia
Sometimes things just work out. My recent trip to Cameroon was not one of them. However, as I was in route, I got a WhatsApp message from my good friends at KOS Safari’s in Uganda of a hunt cancellation. Tags just became available for a Sudanese Roan, a Chandler’s Mountain Reedbuck, and an East African Bohor Reedbuck.

A few flight changes later (and a fair amount of groveling to my wonderful wife), and I was in route from Cameroon to Entebbe, Uganda.

I will do a full hunt report when I get back to the United States. It was a very good hunt in Uganda.

But to the point at hand - on day four we took a nice Mountain Reedbuck early in the morning. As we were at the skinning shed half kilometer away from camp, my PH Tom Holloway said audibly, but presumably speaking to himself, he’s there! He’s there! He’s there! That was 3 “he’s there” from a PH. Whatever it was, was worthy of 3 he’s there’s.

“Who is he, and where is he Tom?”

“He’s there!”

I was going to need more.

“Tom, I need more.” “Ah, right, there’s a giant Reedbuck that we saw once last season, but couldn’t get on. Haven’t seen him since, but he’s there!” A quick scan with binoculars, and I saw why he was so excited, it certainly looked like a reedbuck except that its body size was 30% bigger than his reedbuck buddies, and the horns made no sense whatsoever.

There was some discussion of whether it was a female (it was most certainly not a female) and what might have caused the unusual body size and horn growth, but nonetheless, we were standing looking at a reedbuck the likes that few have ever seen.

Tom told me the story of having spotted him once last year and having put a stalk on him in the tall grass. While they got numerous photos, they were never able to get the shot (they might have forgot to shoot, the story gets vague). Anyway, they hadn’t seen him since, but after circulating photos, they believed that he would be or certainly compete for the new world number one E.A. bohor reedbuck.

I don’t particularly concern myself with things like book entries, scoring length, and the like, but I do solidly support good game management, and taking old mature animals. This reedbuck qualified for all of those reasons. And, I also support my PHs and outfitter, so when they get excited, I get excited.

So, we decided to “have a look.” My PH is Zimbabwean, and when a Zimbabwean PH says “have a look” that means you’re now hunting whatever you were having a look at.

The reedbuck was about 600m from camp, and like most camps, you don’t hunt/shoot close to camp. However, this reedbuck was ambling away from the camp into the wind, enabling us follow. We were just over a kilometer outside of camp when the reedbuck held up under a shade tree. That’s a good distance. We maneuvered into a good shooting position, and I was able to take the reedbuck with a single shot.

The photos to follow were not easy; the unusual horn configuration made good clear pictures difficult. But it was a beautiful day, and we captured some great images.

Back at the skinning shed, our trackers were certain it’s the biggest they have ever seen. They skinned him out, and measured.

The longest horn wet measured 15 3/16th and the other measures 14 5/8ths. They tell me the current Roland Ward record is 14 6/8th on the longest side. The camp will hold the skull for 3 months drying and officially score it.

Based on current measurements, it’s probable - subject to drying and official measurement - that the reedbuck will score as the new No. 1 record EA bohor reedbuck.

I have been incredibly impressed with the hunting in Uganda. There is tremendous game, excellent management, and good camps. It’s also an easy country to travel too, and to travel around. I would recommend wild, unfenced Uganda to anyone. And who knows, the next record might be yours. Regardless, you will have an awesome safari in Uganda.

I appreciate Abe, Tom, Gareth and the whole KOS Safari’s team for another great trip, and putting me on such a wonderful and unique animal.

Trying to get photo to load

IMG_4821.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! This one is fantastic!
Please dont keep us waiting for full report!

Nice Trophy! Congratulations on a great reedbuck.

Very unique reedbuck, congrats! Look forward to more!

WoW congratulations on not only a great trophy but also one with such an amazing horn configuration.

It is somewhat reminiscent of the configuration frequently found on the Sudan Bohor reedbuck.

Congrats, a unique animal !

Congratulations. I enjoyed the report on your last Uganda hunt. I’m booked with them for April 2026.

Outstanding trophy. Love to hear a report about both hunts. Need to hear the bad as well as the good. Congrats on an exceptional trophy.
Bruce

Incredible trophy, CONGRATS! The horn configuration is that of a Sudan Bohor Reedbuck.

Wow, fantastic! Congratulations!

Nice report thanks for the honesty. What a wild looking Reedbuck, Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.