ETHIOPIA: Northern Operations / Collect Africa / Dean Stobbs Safaris 2024

Enjoyed your report. Congratulations and thanks.

awesome report! thanks for sharing and congrats on a great safari!

Thanks for the awesome report! Great read (as always). Hope you get back to Africa soon so that we can read more of these stories

That was a great report! Quick curiosity killed the cat question. How do you go about “registration” on binoculars?

That was a great report! Quick curiosity killed the cat question. How do you go about “registration” on binoculars?
Binoculars can be added to a form 4457 in the USA along with the rifle and the scope.... No idea for other countries.
Wonderful report like always. I always appreciate your candor about any mistakes. You took some fine trophies. Congrats on getting them.
Bruce

Binoculars can be added to a form 4457 in the USA along with the rifle and the scope.... No idea for other countries.
Wonderful report like always. I always appreciate your candor about any mistakes. You took some fine trophies. Congrats on getting them.
Bruce
I normally put anything with a serial number ( rifle, camera) on my 4457 but not my binoculars, never even looked to see if they have a serial number.

Great report and exciting hunt. Thank you for sharing the good and the bad of the hunt. This is reality and reading hunt reports that hide that bad build unrealistic expectations for hunts.
Enjoyed it very much!

.................. Apparently, the gelada I wanted to shoot stopped very close to their vehicle, and the hunter didn’t have to go very far to take a shot at my target. Needless to say, he shot better than I did, and they had my gelada in the back of their vehicle, and were off to skin it. They seemed more than ordinarily pleased with themselves, which caused me to be more than ordinarily pissed off with them and the world in general, but most of all with myself.

So, if you’re reading this and you shot a gelada on March 10, 2024 with Jason Roussos, you’re very welcome. Happy to be of service. Not. ...................
Public land hunting with a premium price tag. Arggh, I can feel the frustration.

Great tales, well told. Incredible scenery and unique hunting experiences.
Appreciate the effort all round. Thanks.

ps. Video needs to be loaded onto Youtube or other host and the link can be inserted into your thread.

Great report- not sure how I missed it up until now.

Interesting hunt Hank!(y)

And a poor shot is only a poor shot if the animal is not recovered.

Your outfitter has to file a permit application with the authorities in Ethiopia, and apparently it just takes time and paperwork. Not sure what would happen in the binoculars didn’t have a serial number.

My outfitter arrived in Addis with his binos and a copy of his permit, but they wouldn’t accept anything other than the original. They wouldn’t let him take his binos when he left the airport, but he had arrived a day before I did, so when he came back to pick me up, he had gotten the local person who had the original to show up (but had to get another permit to even enter the airport to get the binoculars back!).

Your outfitter has to file a permit application with the authorities in Ethiopia, and apparently it just takes time and paperwork. Not sure what would happen in the binoculars didn’t have a serial number.

My outfitter arrived in Addis with his binos and a copy of his permit, but they wouldn’t accept anything other than the original. They wouldn’t let him take his binos when he left the airport, but he had arrived a day before I did, so when he came back to pick me up, he had gotten the local person who had the original to show up (but had to get another permit to even enter the airport to get the binoculars back!).
TIA right?!

Thanks @Hank2211 for another great report. I appreciate all of the details from the trip as I have Ethiopia on my list of places to return. Hopefully things will remain stable there, but we never really know these days!

Cheers,
JES

What a wonderful adventure, enjoyed it tremendously! Considering everything that is going on that part of the world, did you ever feel unsafe, or had that "what Am I doing here" moment? Any additional pictures?

Wow! What an amazing adventure. Thank you for taking the time to express all the details. Very interesting in how differently Ethiopia handles things. Congrats on all of the game, especially the bushbucks. You have more resolve than I to even attempt such a trip there. I will remain satisfied to live the hunt through your story. Glad you made it home safe.

This is a random question, but is Rifle rental an option? The Binoculars thing is a bit hard to believe.
They do have a rifle available for rent - I believe it’s a .300 Weatherby, but they may have others.

i think the binocular thing is a result of the recent “unrest.” The government must be afraid that the other side may end up with binos - though why is a mystery. It’s not like they’re hard to find. I think that’s the reason you aren’t allowed a sat phone or gps device (though no one asked about those).

They do have a rifle available for rent - I believe it’s a .300 Weatherby, but they may have others.

i think the binocular thing is a result of the recent “unrest.” The government must be afraid that the other side may end up with binos - though why is a mystery. It’s not like they’re hard to find. I think that’s the reason you aren’t allowed a sat phone or gps device (though no one asked about those).

Thank you sir, as much as I love hunting with my guns and have confidence in them, I am starting to believe there is a value to being able to not drawing attention to oneself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpattern007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.