Primers for 404 Jeffery

Newboomer

AH legend
Joined
Sep 10, 2016
Messages
4,534
Reaction score
13,757
Location
Nevada
Media
13
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I just got some brass for my 404Jeff and want to load some up but can't find any info on primers. Do I use large rifle or magnum? I don't want to use LR and be underpowered and I don't want to use LRM if I don't have to. I'm appealing to some of you reloading gurus out there for some info.
 
I just got some brass for my 404Jeff and want to load some up but can't find any info on primers. Do I use large rifle or magnum? I don't want to use LR and be underpowered and I don't want to use LRM if I don't have to. I'm appealing to some of you reloading gurus out there for some info.

I use Federal 215 primers with mine
 
My .404J hand loads by my son for my buff hunt last summer used CCI 250 primers.
 
Thanks, Guys. I use Winchester. Are the ones you quote LR or LRM? Not familiar with Federal and CCI markings.
 
Fed 215's in mine, that's a magnum primer.
 
Newboomer, I am not a reloader, but when I Googled it as if to buy some, it said they are large rifle magnum.
 
Thanks again. I kinda thought a round that big should have a magnum booster but I wanted to make sure. AH comes through again. Now I can go put 'em together
 
Just because the powder column is so big, anything with a capacity of more than 80 grains should use a magnum rifle primer. I use them in my .416 Rigby along with a very slow burning magnum powder (Vihtavuori Oy N165). Good luck and stay safe!!!!!
 
Federal 215 has worked very well in my .404 loads.
 
I was at the range yesterday doing some prep work for a date with a Cape Buffalo.

As usual, I had the chronograph set up and shot many of my rounds over the screens for "science".

Several recent discussions re: primers here had me load up a few loads in 450/400 and 450 Dakota with everything identical except the primer, just for fun.

Now, a 15 round study doesn't qualify as a statistically valid sample...but it's a start! So, from the FWIW department, I submit the following:

1. 450/400 NE with 86gr H1000 and a 400gr DGS in Hornady brass:
Fed 215 = 2018fps
Tula Mag = 1966fps

2. 450 Dakota with 88gr IMR 4064 and a 450gr TSX in Dakota brass:
Fed 215 = 2299fps
CCI 250 = 2275fps
Tula Mag = 2267fps
 
Graeme Wright in his book on loading double rifles has done primer testing and seems to like the Federal 215 primers for a better burn
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,413
Messages
1,575,402
Members
170,314
Latest member
MarshaMass
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top