Primers for 404 Jeffery

Newboomer

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
I just got some brass for my 404Jeff and want to load some up but can't find any info on primers. Do I use large rifle or magnum? I don't want to use LR and be underpowered and I don't want to use LRM if I don't have to. I'm appealing to some of you reloading gurus out there for some info.

I just got some brass for my 404Jeff and want to load some up but can't find any info on primers. Do I use large rifle or magnum? I don't want to use LR and be underpowered and I don't want to use LRM if I don't have to. I'm appealing to some of you reloading gurus out there for some info.

I use Federal 215 primers with mine

My .404J hand loads by my son for my buff hunt last summer used CCI 250 primers.

Thanks, Guys. I use Winchester. Are the ones you quote LR or LRM? Not familiar with Federal and CCI markings.

Fed 215's in mine, that's a magnum primer.

Newboomer, I am not a reloader, but when I Googled it as if to buy some, it said they are large rifle magnum.

Thanks again. I kinda thought a round that big should have a magnum booster but I wanted to make sure. AH comes through again. Now I can go put 'em together

Just because the powder column is so big, anything with a capacity of more than 80 grains should use a magnum rifle primer. I use them in my .416 Rigby along with a very slow burning magnum powder (Vihtavuori Oy N165). Good luck and stay safe!!!!!

Federal 215 has worked very well in my .404 loads.

I was at the range yesterday doing some prep work for a date with a Cape Buffalo.

As usual, I had the chronograph set up and shot many of my rounds over the screens for "science".

Several recent discussions re: primers here had me load up a few loads in 450/400 and 450 Dakota with everything identical except the primer, just for fun.

Now, a 15 round study doesn't qualify as a statistically valid sample...but it's a start! So, from the FWIW department, I submit the following:

1. 450/400 NE with 86gr H1000 and a 400gr DGS in Hornady brass:
Fed 215 = 2018fps
Tula Mag = 1966fps

2. 450 Dakota with 88gr IMR 4064 and a 450gr TSX in Dakota brass:
Fed 215 = 2299fps
CCI 250 = 2275fps
Tula Mag = 2267fps

Graeme Wright in his book on loading double rifles has done primer testing and seems to like the Federal 215 primers for a better burn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!