Pretty scary days to be a Gunsmith in Canada

What I don’t understand is the silence from the victims family, and/or the two witnesses in the shop. As far as I know, they aren’t bound by any sort of NDA, or would they be? This leads me to believe that there is more to the story than what meets the eye.

RE: the ambulance on scene. i worked 20 years on a medic rig. if there was a police operation that was known about, or a shooter involved, we (the medic rig) were sent to stage at the scene in case an officer or perp was shot.

not saying that this incident was not horrible and heads should not roll, just how our dept. responded in support of the police in the case of possible injury to the police.
The issue is, they didn't get a local Ambulance to meet them there... They brought one 150kms with them...

What I don’t understand is the silence from the victims family, and/or the two witnesses in the shop. As far as I know, they aren’t bound by any sort of NDA, or would they be? This leads me to believe that there is more to the story than what meets the eye.
They are most certainly Bound by NDA... This is standard operating procedure in Canada...

I still haven’t heard a thing about this except on here. Mind you I refuse to watch or listen to CBC TV or radio. The Liberal bias they have makes me physically ill. That being said I do listen to a news/talk radio station here that is much more right wing and have heard nothing from them either.

I sure would like to “hear the rest of the story” as Paul Harvey use to say. Unless someone pulled a gun or shot at the police this is great injustice.

SIU Updates Investigation into Police Shooting Death of Man in Norfolk County​

Case Number: 21-TFD-373

OTHER NEWS RELEASES RELATED TO CASE 21-TFD-373​

SIU Investigating Death of Man in Norfolk County
Update: SIU Investigating Death of Man in Norfolk County

WITNESS ASSISTANCE​

Fill Out a Witness Form
Mississauga, ON (18 November, 2021) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit continues to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of a 70-year-old man, identified as Rodger Kotanko, after a Toronto Police Service officer discharged his firearm in Norfolk County on November 3, 2021. The incident occurred while Toronto Police Service officers were executing a search warrant at a residence in the area of Highway 6 and Highway 24.

As of today:
  • Investigators have collected one police-issued firearm, which was sent to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis.
  • One subject official and seven witness officials have been designated at this time.
  • Five witness officials have been interviewed.
  • Two civilian witnesses have been interviewed.
  • The post-mortem was conducted on November 4, 2021. The final post-mortem report has not yet been received.
  • Mr. Kotanko’s next-of-kin are engaged in the SIU’s Affected Persons Program, which includes support services.

The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 or contact the office through the website: https://siu.on.ca/en/appeals.php

The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website: https://siu.on.ca/en/video_uploads.php

The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must

• consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
  • depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
  • publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, kristy.denette@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342

https://www.siu.on.ca/en/news_template.php?nrid=7267

UPDATE ON THE KOTANKO SHOOTING. FAMILY FILES $23 MILLION CIVIL LAWSUIT

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that more information is posted on this thread, something stinks, but not sure what.

I have to say I’m a bit surprised at how many of us are prepared to jump to conclusions on the basis of a media report (and one from the CBC at that). I agree - like Lon Denny - that what we read does sound a little strange, but perhaps we wait a bit to get all of the facts before we decide we know what happened?

One fact I find decidedly odd is the lawsuit which the media states the family has filed. Seems that was put together awfully quickly, and again, before all of the facts could possibly be known. More interestingly, this happened in Canada, and there is no way that the recovery would be even close to the amount claimed . . . Likely off by at least an order of magnitude (or more).

I still don’t understand how Toronto PD have jurisdiction in a totally different town in another county. Does Canada not have jurisdiction similar to the US? This is like LAPD kicking the door in and shooting someone in Palm Springs. Umm…isn’t this a Provincial level matter?

I still don’t understand how Toronto PD have jurisdiction in a totally different town in another county. Does Canada not have jurisdiction similar to the US? This is like LAPD kicking the door in and shooting someone in Palm Springs. Umm…isn’t this a Provincial level matter?
In Canada policing is a shared responsibility between the federal and provincial governments, each with their own areas of jurisdiction. In some provinces (such as Alberta), the federal police - the RCMP - also have provincial jurisdiction because the provinces have given it to them. Other provinces, like Ontario, have their own provincial police (the OPP in Ontario). There are also ‘private’ police forces which are historical artifacts - for example, the major railroads in Canada have their own police, with federal jurisdiction.

Within a province, Canada really doesn’t have such things as counties in the sense that the US does, nor does it have county sheriffs. All province have municipalities, which tend to have their own police, and minicpal districts (typical where there isn’t a big city), which may or may not have police of their own.

In Ontario, where this incident occurred, the Province uses the OPP to police areas not big enough to justify their own police force. But ‘sworn members’ of the OPP and the Toronto police are all ‘peace officers’ created by provincial law with similar jurisdiction, and can easily have concurrent responsibility In respect of particular matters. As a matter of practice (and to avoid problems) police forces tend not to go outside of their areas of operations, but there really isn’t the same concept of jurisdiction that you are referring to. In other words, a cop in Ontario is a cop in Ontario for all provincial purposes, regardless of where they reside or work. You can’t get away from the authority of a Toronto police officer by stepping outside of the City of Toronto. You can - to an extent - by stepping outside of the province, but that’s not relevant here.

In this case, for the Toronto police to involve themselves (they generally have more than enough to to do in Toronto), there had to be a Toronto angle which they were pursuing. If it was primarily a Toronto matter, they could even of had the lead.

Just another unknown in this story. And another reason to wait for the facts to come out.

I should add that I don’t live in Ontario, so can’t swear that this is 100% accurate, but I did take criminal law in law school in Ontario (it was required and it was a long time ago!). Any Ontario lawyers on the forum more than welcome to correct me!

I worked tobacco in Norfolk County growing up. This is a heck of a long way from Toronto. I agree we need the facts but this is really odd. In all my years kicking around that county I never saw Toronto PD. The OPP handle that country.

I find it odd that the swat team shows up for a “questioning”. There has to be a lot more to this story.

Hank2211, I agree with you. right now, "we" are long on opinion and short on facts. Hopefully the S.I.U. investigation currently going on, will clarify what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross