Predator calling Black bears

Tubby’s Canteen

AH legend
Joined
Dec 15, 2019
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
9,348
Location
Nova Scotia canada
Media
53
Good evening gentleman I'm in the process of planning a canoe in bear hunt into the tobeatic. The tobeatic is a 250,000 acre wildlife habitat area in south western Nova Scotia. one can Travel in and hunt within the park provided it is all done with man power. No motors of any kind allowed. It is also not permitted to bait within the park.

Therefore I'm left with only spot and stock and calling options. Have any of you find gentleman successfully called in a black bear. If so what calls were used and techniques employed?.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like an awesome trip! Don't forget to post a report with pictures :) sorry I do not know anything about calling black bears:unsure: But I found this:
 
Interesting to say the least.
 
Not sure if this would work for you in Nova Scotia, but worth a look.
 
We tend to avoid predator calls for bears because of their large cousins being in the neighbourhood.
Good luck with your hunt.​
 
Good evening gentleman I'm in the process of planning a canoe in bear hunt into the tobeatic. The tobeatic is a 250,000 acre wildlife habitat area in south western Nova Scotia. one can Travel in and hunt within the park provided it is all done with man power. No motors of any kind allowed. It is also not permitted to bait within the park.

Therefore I'm left with only spot and stock and calling options. Have any of you find gentleman successfully called in a black bear. If so what calls were used and techniques employed?.
I have not personally done it, but I know persons that have. The only tip is don't use a mouth call! When they come in they may come in 'hot' and it would be a good idea to be using an electronic call that gives you some distance...
 
Unfortunately a moth call is the only option as electrical calls are not permitted within the park.
 
Given that little news nugget; that you are using yourself as bait. I would suggest that you figure out how to get up a tree if you are using a mouth call.
 
Unfortunately a moth call is the only option as electrical calls are not permitted within the park.
You got me really curious about this. This isn't advice as I am just learning it. I am just sharing what I am gathering, if that is ok.

From what I an reading, it is most effective when you know you have a bear in the immediate area, so you need to spot it first, perhaps. One video I just saw said call continuously for 15 to 30 minutes so you keep them moving towards you. Also, sounds like you gotta blow to keep him coming in.
 
Given that little news nugget; that you are using yourself as bait. I would suggest that you figure out how to get up a tree if you are using a mouth call.
Perhaps your back to an obstruction would be a good plan too:unsure::eek::D
 
Black bear are our largest predator @BRICKBURN so thankfully that's not a concern. Multiple bears is though as it looks like it will be a solo trip. I'm having difficulty convinced any of my friends the extra effort is worth the experience.
 
Up a tree shouldn't be a problem from past experiences trout fishing in the area it's all old growth forest.
 
Not sure if this would work for you in Nova Scotia, but worth a look.

Thank you it helps to know others have been successful. Until I watched the video this was just theory.
 
Skinnersblade, I have cold called many times with no success. I’m certain if you are in the right spot you can cold call. I’ve read several books, listened to tapes, watched dvds, and talked to well respected guides and outfitters (Billy Stockton in Montana example).
Keys:
Spot a bear within hearing.
Call facing up wind to avoid them scenting you. They have unbelievable sense of smell.
Once you start calling, don’t stop. If you do stop, they lose interest.
Those are the basics I have learned. I cold call yearly. Black bears and mountain lions are two predators I have tried yearly to call in unsuccessfully ... so far.
Best of luck! And please if you are successful, write us a report!
 
I use a coarse sounding call that imitates a fawn or elk calf. Almost any brand should do as long as it is slightly rough and lower pitched. I prefer the open reed type. A bit more difficult to use than closed reed, but they hold up better and don’t freeze up in cold weather.

BTW, my wife and I loved Nova Scotia! Especially the scallops!
 
@Ridgewalker You must of been in the digby area?
Took the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth. Had scallops for lunch there. Toured around for the day. Ate scallops for a late night dinner. Then ferried back.
A lot of the architecture and history related to Louisiana culture. Fascinating!
 
Took the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth. Had scallops for lunch there. Toured around for the day. Ate scallops for a late night dinner. Then ferried back.
A lot of the architecture and history related to Louisiana culture. Fascinating!

Yarmouth would be the closest town to me about thirty five minutes away. The Louisiana culture undoubtedly hails back to the expulsion of the Acadians by the British. Many of the Acadian families ended up there.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,351
Messages
1,573,651
Members
169,788
Latest member
AngelicaPi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top