Pre Safari Physical Training P.T.

You don't need motivation, you need discipline ;). I already found a 24 hour fitness (have Nationwide membership through my insurance) 7 miles from where I am staying in Keller,TX. I will be heading there at 6AM each day before cleaning up and heading to the convention. If I can do it at 66, so can anyone else I think. :unsure: :A Happy Wave:
I was considering taking DSC week off until I read your post. Drove into Dallas yesterday. I checked into the hotel and did my MTNTOUGH workout. Today I am helping with Move In. Last year I walked over 10 miles and never left the convention center.
I will get Days 4&5 workouts in on Thursday and Friday. Let’s Go To Work!

I envy those that can find the time to do all this exercise...
Between 12hr day job as an employee, starting a new side-business for myself, being a father to a 10 month old, helping in the household, planning house renovations, practicing at getting a second child and getting some sleep in... not much time left anymore.

Not whining, I just don't have many 2hr blocks available in the week to do stuff.

But on a side note. For a recent safari, I did 2-3 times a week an hour of fast walking on a treadmill, with 8-10° incline, for about three months before I left. The PH's were happy that I could follow them everywhere despite the oppressive heat and terrain. I did find climbing very hard, especially as I live at about 30m above sea level, while the hunt was about 1300 m above sea level.

Between 12hr day job as an employee, starting a new side-business for myself, being a father to a 10 month old, helping in the household, planning house renovations, practicing at getting a second child and getting some sleep in... not much time left anymore.

Not whining, I just don't have many 2hr blocks available in the week to do stuff.

But on a side note. For a recent safari, I did 2-3 times a week an hour of fast walking on a treadmill, with 8-10° incline, for about three months before I left. The PH's were happy that I could follow them everywhere despite the oppressive heat and terrain. I did find climbing very hard, especially as I live at about 30m above sea level, while the hunt was about 1300 m above sea level.
+1.

Been there done that. It is a challenge to find that training time. Take advantage of stairs instead of elevators. Walk with your kids but carry a pack. You just need to be ready for when your 28 son asks you to go to Tajikistan and ibex.
1672841405372.jpeg

That is why I am on a waiting list for this. Will save me drive time to the gym and I can hit it early in the morning. I chose this model because of the “Smith machine”

That is why I am on a waiting list for this. Will save me drive time to the gym and I can hit it early in the morning. I chose this model because of the “Smith machine”

Would you say that the rowing machine does a lot of this functionalities as well?

Would you say that the rowing machine does a lot of this functionalities as well?
Rowing machine is great and works 85% of the body and it would get one fit and trim. However, it is not resistance training and one would not get progressive overloads for strength and/or muscle growth from rowing alone. I use rowing for Zone 2 endurance and HIIT training (80/20 split). Weights for building up my lean muscle mass. There are many ways to get to one’s fitness goals. This combination seems to work for me so far.

Nutrition is actually even more important as one can not exercise away a bad diet. I keep track of my macros and calories on a daily basis.

Well, I can see where you could save at least 3 minutes a day.... :ROFLMAO:

Well, I can see where you could save at least 3 minutes a day.... :ROFLMAO:
Hey ! those are the best 120 seconds of my day ! Don't take those from me ! :D

Hey ! those are the best 120 seconds of my day ! Don't take those from me ! :D
5 good burpees take about 3 minutes. Couple of times a day and the next thing you know…on your way to being in better shape.

Baby steps. Small changes in behavior are the ones that will stick. Go back and watch What About Bob. ;)

I was considering taking DSC week off until I read your post. Drove into Dallas yesterday. I checked into the hotel and did my MTNTOUGH workout. Today I am helping with Move In. Last year I walked over 10 miles and never left the convention center.
I will get Days 4&5 workouts in on Thursday and Friday. Let’s Go To Work!
I had to work a trade show in Chicago this past September, it was brutal. I came in halfway through set up and was still there for 11 days. I normally gain a few pounds when on the road but in this case it was the opposite.

I was 60 years old when I went to Africa last year. This was my routine in preparation for my safari. I walked about 2-3 miles per day and used the different incline settings on my treadmill. I also carried my rifle, and my binos, and wore the boots and socks I was going to use. Sometimes I would dress up with the clothing I was going to take to Africa, vs. wearing shorts. This routine was done during the week and did it 3-5 times a day. On the weekend, I shot using the shooting sticks I was taking. I shot my 22 Lr, then switched to my 375 H&H, and finished with the 22Lr. I did this for 6 months, and it paid off. I was not expecting to see mountains in the Eastern Cape, and they kicked my butt, but I never called uncle, and I kept up with the 29-year-old mountain goat of a PH I had. BTW, not sure the altitude of where I was hunting, and that seemed to affect me more than anything else, specially going from a flat area like where I live.

My routine was simple, low impact, and it worked for me. I try not over think things and simplify as much as I can. Remember what they taught us in the military. KISS
Keep
It
Simple
S------

I mostly drink beer at night and eat 3x protein portions at every meal for a week to prep for safari… :D

The thread is getting a bit old, but....
I am 61, on my feet a fair bit, but way too much time at the desk. That said, I try to keep the weight off. Before my trip to SA for ten days (spot and stalk plains game), I made a point about six months ahead of time to do the stairs at work (eighteen flights/ nine floors) 1-2 x a day work days, and just got out walking as much as possible. We spent three very active days chasing a herd of Zebra, over all sorts of terrain, and I can happily say I was able to keep up with the guide/hunter. I think most important is simply keep the weight off, keep yourself hydrated when out there, and bring a couple candy bars for an energy boost, for most of us. I doubt I would keep up on a thirty day elephant hunt, but I dont see that down the road!

I've heard how the terrain and hunting with @KMG Hunting Safaris is so I'm ignoring the "Africa hunting safaris are physically easy" posts lol.

Started my workout schedule today. Rucking with ~50lb pack a minimum of an hour, every day possible with 5x a week as the minimum. Going to add at least one day per week being 2 hours shortly. Plan to have 1-2 days a week be 10 miles be a couple months prior.

I dont drink much at all and dont smoke, I tend to stress eat when things get tough. And the last year has been probably the most stressful of my life so my fitness has regressed regrettably. Not sure how much weight loss will come with a proper diet and this program, but I am certain that I'll have the endurance to carry my double all day tracking buff and be ready to do my part instead of huffing and puffing when I get there.

Also shooting various guns off sticks as weather permits here in Michigan, probably 3-5x a week once spring comes. Switching to only the safari guns as the trip gets closer.
When will you be hunting with KMG? I will be there this May

When I added strength training to my routine, I signed up for monthly DEXA scans to monitor my body composition in order to calibrate my diet and exercise.

Here is the latest. In summary in two months I gained 0.4 lbs of weight overall, lost 5.8 pounds of fat and gained 6.1 pounds of muscle. Slow and steady, if I can keep doing this without hitting the point of diminishing returns for a few more months, I will be very, very happy. One thing this also points out is that the scale does not really tell the whole story.

Yes, I am a data nerd. :ROFLMAO:

1674673212774.png

1674673230682.png

1674673248730.png
/

Last edited:
I love to walk. I walk 15-20+ miles a week here in Colombia on the mountain roads and trails. The mountain air, beautiful scenery and talking to the locals makes all the pain in my knees, hips and back worth it. Body in motion stays in motion.

My biggest problem here in Colombia is avoiding the feed bag. I am one of the biggest guys in town as well as the "gringo mascot" that married a local. Everyone wants to feed me, I love to eat, and my wife is a great cook. I am currently dieting and walking off holiday weight and I am doing a good job. One of my wife's relatives (Aracely) jumped all over her this morning. We did a short walk (3 miles) and she saw us from her balcony coming back into town and told us to come in and visit. We went in and she commented how much weight I had lost. Mama explained how we do a short walk (3-4 miles) 3 days a week and I do a long walk by myself of 6+ miles 3 times a week. Aracely was like "No! That is too much! Look at him! He is wasting away! What are you feeding him? Are you cooking him good hearty meals?!" :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO: When Mama explained I am doing the 8/16 diet she lost her shit. :LOL: I was laughing so hard, and she was running into the kitchen yelling she is going to fix me a breakfast now. It is never boring here.

Back on topic. Those of you without time that are tied to an office or desk. I get it. Look into a treadmill desk. When I took over an executive position in my last career, I was tied to the office, meetings and conference calls. I hated it. Loved the money but hated the job. I hit 250 lbs and it was a big wakeup call during my annual physical. I saw a health article about "walking and standing desks". I made one using a garage sale treadmill and modifying a table. It was great. I ended up buying a real walking desk and it made a huge difference. I could do documents on the computer and walk 2 miles an hour. During conference calls and other nugg work, I could easily walk 3-4 mph. In the big picture, I did a health and safety campaign for the offices that resulted in notably improved accident rate, less sick days and lowered insurance costs. The investment definitely paid off.

It is easy to be too busy and not make time for yourself, but small changes can make a big difference.

Safe hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you