Politics

Hmmmm, AOC's immaturity just ensured the Republicans come out on top no matter whether Trump goes for an early replacement or not. By encouraging 'radicalisation' in a SCOTUS picking process, it will isolate a lot of moderate Democrats. Nobody wants a radical loose canon on SCOTUS. The smartest thing POUS can do now is nominate a moderate professional female candidate who will be far more acceptable to Dems than a possible wild card pushed by the radical left if the Dems per chance got in. Radical they will be, neither Biden nor Harris could stop the leftist surge, only Trump could do that.

My impression of RBG was that she suffered from the same persecution complex that affects various minorities. As such she projected her own reasons on decisions that were made. I think the main issue that most have with her decisions as a justice involved her view of the Constitution as a document that changes with time and culture. As such, Constitutionality of some activity was reviewed based on todays values and mores rather than the intent and perspectives of the writers.

Hmmmm, AOC's immaturity just ensured the Republicans come out on top no matter whether Trump goes for an early replacement or not. By encouraging 'radicalisation' in a SCOTUS picking process, it will isolate a lot of moderate Democrats. Nobody wants a radical loose canon on SCOTUS. The smartest thing POUS can do now is nominate a moderate professional female candidate who will be far more acceptable to Dems than a possible wild card pushed by the radical left if the Dems per chance got in. Radical they will be, neither Biden nor Harris could stop the leftist surge, only Trump could do that.
You are presupposing there is such thing as a "moderate" democrat. This aint the party of JFK, that ship sailed long ago!

Reactions: WAB
My vote :Smuggrin: Amul Thapar. At least he held a real job. (y)

It will be Amy Coney Barrett. Have to remove the chance of more high school/college date rape allegations. It must be a woman and a woman of color if possible. Otherwise it will go on forever with endless BS and nonsense from the left.
They will stop at nothing to keep this from happening, so as much as possible in the way of obstacles must be removed.

It will be Amy Coney Barrett. Have to remove the chance of more high school/college date rape allegations. It must be a woman and a woman of color if possible. Otherwise it will go on forever with endless BS and nonsense from the left.
They will stop at nothing to keep this from happening, so as much as possible in the way of obstacles must be removed.
She's odds on favorite in the betting parlors.

Works for me!

I feel sorry for her middle school boyfriends though. They should all change their phone numbers and addresses.

Works for me!

I feel sorry for her middle school boyfriends though. They should all change their phone numbers and addresses.
Good bet, that the Dems will scrounge up some lesbians to accuse her of something

Looks
Ok, looks like it will be an early replacement, as it is entirely the President and Senate's right. And looks like the radical left are already threatening mayhem regardless of who the nominee may be. Ironically this will play right into the Republican's hands because the Dems will own the violence etc squarely this time, no police to blame, no race issue, just pure politics. Trump has only to put out the fires. Boy the Dems must be spitting mad at their rotten luck.

I cannot understand the logic in declaring her an “anti constitutionalist” or “America hating” as @Brent in Az did.

The logic in declaring her an "anti-Constitutionalist" is that she spent her years on the bench with the mindset that the US Constitution is a living, breathing document that is subject to interpretation of our times... A true "Constitutionalist" views the Constitution as a document should be interpreted as written. To account for the changing times, the founding fathers allowed for the Legislative Branch of our government to create and pass Amendments as needed to relate to needs of our society as the current times dictate.... Not the SCOTUS.

She also had a well-established record of legislating or at least attempting to legislate from the bench rather than simply interpreting the law and Constitution as written. "America hating" is, of course, a subjective opinion but certainly an argument one could make depending on how you view a Justice who was willing to allow a personal political agenda to disregard the rule of law that she was appointed to enforce. I personally believe that it should be a disqualifying conflict of interest for a sitting Justice to also be a political activist, which RBG certainly was...

IMG-20200919-WA0037.jpg

This aint the party of JFK, that ship sailed long ago!

Truman, Kennedy and even FDR would look at the DemonRat party of today and wonder was it WWII or Korea/Vietnam/ColdWar that we thought we won but evidently lost that allowed the Fascists and Communists to take over the USA?

I can't see how a nominee will be confirmed before the election. Prior to November, the Democrats will remain solid even if Trump were to nominate Mother Theresa. The senate can only withstand three republican defections. Murkowski and Collins (who is up for reelection) have already signaled they would prefer to wait. I assume, like me, no one believes Romney will be supportive. Lose one more and the vote will fail.

I am sure he will nominate someone, and make him or her a specific election issue. Then we'll see who has a Senate majority in a few weeks.

Ted Cruz brought up a good point, that a tied (4/4) Supreme Court could initiate a true constitutional crisis if we do indeed have a contested election.

Truman, Kennedy and even FDR would look at the DemonRat party of today and wonder was it WWII or Korea/Vietnam/ColdWar that we thought we won but evidently lost that allowed the Fascists and Communists to take over the USA?
With respect to mobs in the street, I suspect you are correct. However, from a policy perspective, FDR would be right at home.

I can't see how a nominee will be confirmed before the election. Prior to November, the Democrats will remain solid even if Trump were to nominate Mother Theresa. The senate can only withstand three republican defections. Murkowski and Collins (who is up for reelection) have already signaled they would prefer to wait. I assume, like me, no one believes Romney will be supportive. Lose one more and the vote will fail.

I am sure he will nominate someone, and make him or her a specific election issue. Then we'll see who has a Senate majority in a few weeks.

Ted Cruz brought up a good point, that a tied (4/4) Supreme Court could initiate a true constitutional crisis if we do indeed have a contested election.

With respect to mobs in the street, I suspect you are correct. However, from a policy perspective, FDR would be right at home.
If all three go against and it is hung, what of the Pence casting vote?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg