Politics

Two amazing things that have come out of Olney, TX.

Watch out for those small Texas towns. :D Beers:

When I was stationed at Shaw AFB, we had A-10s, and they deployed for Dessert Storm. I saw a couple of pictures of A-10s return to base and you wonder how they were able to fly. I mean shot to pieces, and one particular one with a missing engine. I'm a huge fan of the A-10, and I don't believe the AF acft inventory has an acft that can actually carry the same payload as the A-10.

Last rumor I heard about the A-10 is that some of their systems are obsolete, and they can't talk to acfts like AWACS or J-Stars (retiring soon). Find that hard to believe since we've been flying B-52s for a long time and if the B-52 can get the newest & greatest updates, why not the A-10? :unsure::unsure:

A-10's can loiter on station longer than a fast mover like a F-16.

The A-10 aircraft was designed around the 30mm Gatling gun/cannon. Long ago I worked with the retired Air Force Colonel who was the program manager for this gun. Be told me all above his challenges for that project. Nothing is simple.

The gun fires deleted uranium projectiles that punch through the thinner top armor of tanks. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Apache doesn't have a 30mm cannon.

In a perfect scenario, with a standard ammo load, how many tanks can a highly skilled pilot destroy in a single sortie?

Last edited:
Setting aside counter insurgency warfare, the problem with the A10 - particularly attempting a gun run - in a medium to high intensity conflict is the proliferation of really effective man portable and tactically mobile air defense systems. Even during the first Gulf War, the ADA threat pushed Warthogs to higher altitudes working kill boxes mostly with Mavericks rather than classic 30mm close support missions. Even in major tank on tank battles like Medina Ridge (1st AD against the Medina Republican Guard Division), we had no support from A-10's flying gun CAS.

The attack helicopter's advantage is its over the shoulder hover capability using its Hellfire missiles. 8K range and very low altitude make it really tough to acquire and engage with anything. Where MANPADs has had a tremendous effect is with deep penetration raids or air assault missions. The 101st was badly shot up in the opening days of the 2003 invasion attempting a deep penetration raid. The Russians learned that lesson at Hostomel.

Thanks for the reply. That 802 Tractor is interesting and would fill some niche but I have no idea about comparing it's toughness like the tub armor of the A-10. I assume it wouldn't compare... single engine and no armor. Reason I'm asking about the A-10 is I'm not up on all the latest details of tactics and arms capabilities of primarily our manned aircraft. If the A-10 were dropped with no comparable replacement, seems like there would be a very wide gap between say an Apache and an F-16. Simplistic view I know but that is what's in my head. Of course there's probably some thinking/planning of more and more drone use. ??
This odd little attack acquisition is clearly not intended to replace the A-10. It is intended as a SOF aircraft. I assume the idea would be to operate off unimproved landing strips and the like. I am just surprised at the quantity being purchased. They clearly are not intended for a mid or high intensity conflict. They would also seem to be very easy targets for MANPADS missiles. Though perhaps low and slow is thought to give them some of the advantages of an attack helicopter?

Understood. So the primary problem with the A-10 is it’s much more vulnerable to stinger type intercept than something like the Apache. But then again, even at stand off distance, firing something like the Hellfire, I can’t believe the Apache is not also vulnerable from some form of either air or ground fire.

Get into an evolved, diffuse battle against a well equipped opponent. That opponent has scattered one man units all over key areas of the diffuse battlefield. There is no longer a defined front line. Each individual is equipped with one or two stinger type weapons. I would not want to be flying any kind of aircraft around that battlefield especially, a relatively easy target like a helicopter. These individuals have become aircraft snipers. Unless I’m mistaken, we have already witnessed some of that “asymmetrical” tactical warfare in the Ukraine War.

Last edited:
1678986993207.jpeg

1679003242969.png

Understood. So the primary problem with the A-10 is it’s much more vulnerable to stinger type intercept than something like the Apache. But then again, even at stand off distance, firing something like the Hellfire, I can’t believe the Apache is not also vulnerable from some form of either air or ground fire.

Get into an evolved, diffuse battle against a well equipped opponent. That opponent has scattered one man units all over key areas of the diffuse battlefield. There is no longer a defined front line. Each individual is equipped with one or two stinger type weapons. I would not want to be flying any kind of aircraft around that battlefield especially, a relatively easy target like a helicopter. These individuals have become aircraft snipers. Unless I’m mistaken, we have already witnessed some of that “asymmetrical” tactical warfare in the Ukraine War.
The battlefield you describe has much more in common with counterinsurgency warfare than combined arms warfare. As you note, it is indeed a bit like the Russians were facing during the first month of the war in Ukraine when they were restricted (or restricted themselves) to roads and the Ukrainian ATGM and ADA teams were not. But that is not remotely how a US Corps would have carried out the same operation.

Even with deep penetrations as we conducted in Desert Storm and the first few weeks of the invasion of Iraq, there is plenty of relatively safe terrain behind the advancing mechanized force to give plenty of opportunity for Apache over the shoulder support. Remember also, they can do that in the dead of night as easily as broad daylight - depending on the threat, often more easily. It is virtually impossible to engage an aircraft at night with shoulder fired weapons. With respect to the Apache, the target doesn't even know it is in the vicinity until the Hellfire strikes.

Typical tactics will have an Apache maintaining overwatch a kilometer or so behind the lead formations utilizing concealing terrain to hide the aircraft except for its targeting sensors. From such a position, they can target multiple armored vehicles simultaneously at ranges well beyond the enemy's organic weapon systems, and from such a low attitude that they are not targetable by mobile air defense systems.

1679015079075.jpeg

Screenshot_20230317_151821_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230317_152223_Chrome.jpg

In Canada, someone within the Canadian Security service leaked to the press evidence of interference by the Chinese government in elections.
The whistle-blower has now published this. Certainly sobering.

https://apple.news/AYcY4PH-wRXeWMu_rvy-Amg

I really don't get these nutters.....you hear about it and read about it....but actually hearing it coming out if their mouths is just....fkn don't know what to say...

They need to haul these people away to an insane asylum and put them on thorazine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross