Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
None
Seems alot has been done with tech. From dye for horns, gps, drones and even software that will pick up human presence.
But I still see alot of the old ways being used. I dont understand why? Seems the price of a plane and daily fuel cost could be put to better use.
2 guys with binos in a plane with oil/fuel/maint costs? Vs like 10 drones with nightvision and heat seeking abilities. I just dont get it ?
Im glad to see the new tech being used in conservation. But it seems like it is slowly replacing the old. Hopefully it wont be too slow ?

I think you are thinking about this from just an elephant or rhino poaching perspective? I don’t see how people on the ground could ever be replaced by technology to locate snares for bush meat. Many hunting areas you will expect to find people, how can you distinguish a villager from a poacher? Another thing to consider is the resources available to maintain technology in rural Africa. There is a good YouTube video called “anti-poaching: Mozambique” you could watch and you can also look at charlton mccallum safaris website they put a full accounting of their anti-poaching expenses and reports, but keep in mind these are two well funded operations in huge hunting areas. Small outfitters with smaller concessions or just a couple thousand acres of private land would have to go about things differently.

I think you are thinking about this from just an elephant or rhino poaching perspective? I don’t see how people on the ground could ever be replaced by technology to locate snares for bush meat. Many hunting areas you will expect to find people, how can you distinguish a villager from a poacher? Another thing to consider is the resources available to maintain technology in rural Africa. There is a good YouTube video called “anti-poaching: Mozambique” you could watch and you can also look at charlton mccallum safaris website they put a full accounting of their anti-poaching expenses and reports, but keep in mind these are two well funded operations in huge hunting areas. Small outfitters with smaller concessions or just a couple thousand acres of private land would have to go about things differently.
You make a good point about the ground presence. I agree we need it.
I was more looking at the air surveillance. I know they need to have helis and jeeps to go dispatch the poachers. But i just cant help thinking about all the wasted money flying small planes with binos vs a fleet of drones.
I know it always comes down to dollars at the end of the day.
But the planes just seem so outdated. Mostly just daytime use. And you can hear them coming from 5 miles away.
I know the small outfitters your talking about must have their hands full !
I will watch that YouTube video you suggested. Thanks

Oh,man. U opened the youtube trap. Went from the poaching videos to veterinarian videos to hunting vidoes. So i guess my night will be spent with youtube, thanks alot. Lol
The Mozambique videos was great. Ive never been there. It had turmoil the years I visited as a kid. And since, it seems to have other issues.
Maybe one day ?
Thanks again, very informative!

Wow ! I never knew north korea had an embassy in rsa. I guess there is more and more to learn. This was shocking though!

I'm not sure if the legislation has come into effect nor do I know the details but in SA one has to have a license to operate a drone. This includes tests and certification and obviously money. But I'm sure this can all be accomplished.

I know that drones are being used in the national parks very effectively, especially Kruger.

Drones are helpful, and certainy deterent.
But I think, that real true deterents are anti poaching unit on the ground, armed, trained and authorised to use deadly force if necessary. Using drones for recconasiance, is helpful to coordinate actions of ground patrol. For fast response, they should be mobile, preferably with multiple 4WD, but even motorcycle unit, is acceptatble. Chopper would be perfect.

I have seen also on youtube and intenret, anti poaching units armed with sticks. Thats a joke. It means that authority in charge, either govt, or private enterprise is not investing in antipoaching unit. It could be even legal issue, to arm securities, but never the less, arm them with sticks and pitchforks, and it is a joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois