Please Recommend An LG (000 Buckshot) Load For Follow Up Work

Just a thought to share. Have you considered something like brenneke slugs?
@mark-hunter
Your logic is 100 % sound . At the ranges where one gets charged by a wounded cheetah , it would be impossible to miss . However , the advantage of a charge of eight LG slugs over one Brenekke black magic slug is this : Even in it’s most concentrated form , the charge of LG slugs will cover a wider spread than the single Brenekke black magic slug . Thus , your margin of error is noticeably better .

Glad you found what you’re looking for! Now hopefully we will read a report on how well the “ new” load works.

Skinners............I found it actually surprising how deep BBB steel will penetrate into my standard "bear target" at short range. With it's two very hard layers interspersed with both soft and tough layers, this target simulates heavy bones in the head of your soon to be playmate. Despite the low density of the projectile,(7.9gm/cm3) they place a lot of mechanical strain on the hard layers, and with no deformation, punch in there farther than one might think. Softer pellets absorb much of their own energy thru deformation. As a counter point, even the criminally malformed and relatively soft Dead Coyote load did well because its increase in density (12.6gm/cm3) offset many shortcomings.....The best stopper loads have pellets that are both very hard and very dense.....(tough and smooth help also.) These are specialty loads and must be ordered................those .chosen above constitute reasonable compromise......FWB

Interesting read and unfortunately I am too little too late. I did a substantial amount of buckshot testing a few years ago of offerings from Remington, Federal, and Winchester. My object was to find a load which had a serviceable pattern at both contact distance and held minute of pizza box out to twenty yards. The test gun was a 14" Mossberg 590 shockwave firearm. I found that Federal premium 000 in 3" and 2¾" worked out well. Also the Winchester #1 Buckshot was a stellar performer and was what I ultimately went with. My secondary load is Federal Premium 3" 000. I believe that #1 Buck is better over distance than any of the 0, 00, or 000B for pattern retention and has better penetration than 4B and 00B. I Believe there is not a big difference in .33 and .30. I feel there is difference in .30 and .24/.25. I also noted that .36 shot had a tendency to bounce up off the ground at 20 to 25 yards when fired at a downward angle and clip branches out of trees on the regular. I found that the Remington produced the largest patterns of all standard buffered buckshots tested save the Kent economy buckshot which I hold in reserve for high volume use. The most blown out pattern I saw was from the Winchester offering of the supreme double x buckshot where they have increased the velocity from traditional speeds to 1450fps. These patterns expanded rapidly and in my opinion would be good for close range use where the user wanted a bigger pattern as was not going to shoot beyond 20 yards.
Stock numbers for Winchester: XB121 and SB1200.
Stock number for Federal: currently unavailable in 2¾"

000 buck is hard to find in 70mm and almost all factory loaded 00 buck is now really 0 buck because of the wadding. (pellets averaging 0.318 diam in my testing) Good hunting..............................FW Bill
When Federal produced the #1 Buck flite control loads it was found to actually be the same #2 buckshot they were using for their 20 gauge loadings. It was a good loading and I am sorry they felt the need to discontinue it.

Interesting read and unfortunately I am too little too late. I did a substantial amount of buckshot testing a few years ago of offerings from Remington, Federal, and Winchester. My object was to find a load which had a serviceable pattern at both contact distance and held minute of pizza box out to twenty yards. The test gun was a 14" Mossberg 590 shockwave firearm. I found that Federal premium 000 in 3" and 2¾" worked out well. Also the Winchester #1 Buckshot was a stellar performer and was what I ultimately went with. My secondary load is Federal Premium 3" 000. I believe that #1 Buck is better over distance than any of the 0, 00, or 000B for pattern retention and has better penetration than 4B and 00B. I Believe there is not a big difference in .33 and .30. I feel there is difference in .30 and .24/.25. I also noted that .36 shot had a tendency to bounce up off the ground at 20 to 25 yards when fired at a downward angle and clip branches out of trees on the regular. I found that the Remington produced the largest patterns of all standard buffered buckshots tested save the Kent economy buckshot which I hold in reserve for high volume use. The most blown out pattern I saw was from the Winchester offering of the supreme double x buckshot where they have increased the velocity from traditional speeds to 1450fps. These patterns expanded rapidly and in my opinion would be good for close range use where the user wanted a bigger pattern as was not going to shoot beyond 20 yards.
Stock numbers for Winchester: XB121 and SB1200.
Stock number for Federal: currently unavailable in 2¾"
@Forrest Halley
Thank you very much for such an analytical review of the three major American SG ( 00 buckshot ) and LG ( 000 buckshot ) shell manufacturers . May I ask what was the choke on your Mossberg Model 590 pump action shotgun ? Modified choke , perhaps ?

It is imperative that I update all of you helpful gentlemen with an excellent news . Yesterday , a source was miraculously able to arrange an entire 25 piece box of Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch LG shells for me to purchase .
5CB9B6D3-4170-423F-82BE-C23E815943AE.jpeg
2CC58E22-BA0F-4FA2-86BD-E96128AF2FA6.jpeg

This should hopefully last me another year .

Because of some hard lessons learned I never decide on a particular shell before hand. I try several and pick the one that patterns the best. On the other hand maybe it doesn’t matter because your shots are pretty short.

@Forrest Halley
Thank you very much for such an analytical review of the three major American SG ( 00 buckshot ) and LG ( 000 buckshot ) shell manufacturers . May I ask what was the choke on your Mossberg Model 590 pump action shotgun ? Modified choke , perhaps ?
@Professor Mawla
It was a 14" heavy walled cylinder bore. As there was no constriction, it was the purest test of pattern potential. If you are interested I will dig up the research in depth for you.

Just a thought to share. Have you considered something like brenneke slugs?
Sound advice Brenneke slugs are all I use on Leopard, much better penetration and spread is not applicable at the ranges needed to stop a wounded one..shot placement and penetration is all that counts.

9EE9C381-2B31-4475-B18C-CE2AE733E1FE.jpeg
9943CC91-A173-4506-BC67-B321C19B1556.jpeg

The deaths of 14 marauders at my hands during Problem Animal Control assignments ( over the last 48 years ) , are a fairly good indication that my success rate with Eley Alphamax LG shells simply cannot be a fluke .

Last edited:
Sound advice Brenneke slugs are all I use on Leopard, much better penetration and spread is not applicable at the ranges needed to stop a wounded one..shot placement and penetration is all that counts.
Hands down,Brenneke was the worst slug I have ever used. I shot boars with them,prior to switching on rifle hunting for boars. Out of like 6 boars shot,only one ended up with full penetration and exit wound. Pretty much all the shots were broadside shots. They were factory loaded Rottweil Brennekes in 12 ga. Shots were taken around 20-50 meters on moving (driven) boars. Moved to Gualandi type slugs and pretty much all the shots were,in and out. Like I said,I have never shot anything but boars with Brennekes so my experience with them is limited to one game only.

What type of brenneke slugs were you using @Jure ? I’ve used the classic magnum and black magic slugs with excellent results. They are way better than the old rifled lead super X Winchester’s.

2 3/4 00 buckshot from Sellier and Bellot is very affordable, and I have found it to be reliable and to pattern well.

I have approximately 300 rounds of this buckshot in my safe. I would be happy to send you a 25 round box to experiment with if that is legal in Bangladesh.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.16.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.16.50 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.16.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.16.53 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.16.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.16.56 AM.png
    424.1 KB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.16.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.16.58 AM.png
    302 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.17.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 9.17.00 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 193
They were factory loaded Rottweil Brennekes in 12 ga. Shots were taken around 20-50 meters on moving (driven) boars. Moved to Gualandi type slugs and pretty much all the shots were,

Jure, skuzio sam da si iz Hrvatske sa kombinaciojom Gualandi i rotweill! Jer to imamo po ducanima!
Dobrodosao na forum!

(Jure, I knew you were from crotatia, by using gualandi and rotweill! Because of availability of these in local shops! Welcome to the forum!)

What type of brenneke slugs were you using @Jure ? I’ve used the classic magnum and black magic slugs with excellent results. They are way better than the old rifled lead super X Winchester’s.
Classic Brenneke,12/67.5. I was never able to find the black magic here in Croatia.

This is the one I used back in the day.
asv1093.jpg

2 3/4 00 buckshot from Sellier and Bellot is very affordable, and I have found it to be reliable and to pattern well.

I have approximately 300 rounds of this buckshot in my safe. I would be happy to send you a 25 round box to experiment with if that is legal in Bangladesh.
@mdwest
I am absolutely touched by your heartfelt offer . However , I personally prefer LG ( 000 buckshot ) over SG ( 00 ) buckshot . When spooring wounded marauding cheetahs with a shotgun , using the largest possible sizes of buckshot ( namely LG ) is highly advisable . This philosophy has worked extremely well in my experience , over the last 48 years .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg