Planning out a 10.75X68 build

This is why it is so wonderful having you gentlemen part of our group. It is also a reminder that when even a small leopard decides to turn on his tormentors he can be extraordinarily dangerous.
Sir
Thank you very much . And especially thank you for your treasure trove of knowledge about European firearms and calibers . Before I joined AH forums , my horizons were so small . I was only familiar with American calibers , firearms and companies .
The only British caliber I was familiar with , was .375 Holland & Holland . The only English companies which I had experience with , were John Rigby & Co. and William Wellington Greener .
And yes , Don Anderson is Kenneth Anderson’s son . We Indians ( Who hunt and support hunting ) have an immense hatred for Kenneth Anderson and his son , Don .
It was Kenneth Anderson’s later books ( after he became a complete anti hunter ) which partially contributed to India banning Shikar in 1972 .

38515362dr.jpg

38515363la.jpg
This are a couple photos of my 10.75x68
875872C2-AFED-4476-A12B-09DADCEBBED6.jpeg
CCF047FA-6831-40E5-A42E-0E5F0AFCA6F2.jpeg
813DD7FE-D454-468B-9184-CF07685A73B5.jpeg
2304813D-8944-4A69-AAFA-EF3965B878C3.jpeg
FAFBB631-CFD3-40CA-A70C-80D7ED960AE5.jpeg
3AE8670A-86A6-4A88-AA30-422484A7B756.jpeg

I have documentation from my wife’s Grand Father transfer of this rifle from
Germany following WWII
I have not used it to hunt here in Alaska so I can’t give a report on how effective it is on heavy game.

093D1D98-2D26-4CE8-B3D4-F4DE1D86B475.jpeg
7158E11C-2C28-4F80-9F31-A3F5E4EB8FFB.jpeg
E0E127B0-2C8C-4296-A19E-E532FBD1ACE1.jpeg
6EACFDB4-364C-4E56-BBAD-ACEB367E064B.jpeg
D5D26541-29D6-4F50-99CC-D75CC7FC569C.jpeg
16FA35C9-ADE5-4068-9563-349938316D99.jpeg
13CD024C-C24D-416F-A8A8-DAFA71D59ED7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be cheaper and easier to buy an existing rifle in this caliber. I know of 2 for sale and if word gets out maybe more...
I would recommend that you rather build the big brother ie 404Jeff. You won’t be sorry. No one will buy your custom x68 if they can rather have an original. Prices here are around $2500 for FN and $3500 for Pre war Mausers.

The 10,75x68 was quite popular for hunting moose in Scandinavia (for the few who could afford them..). A buddy of mine has an original pre-WW1 10,75 Mauser, albeit restocked...

I belive this round came about as early as 1908, Terry Wieland speak nonsense when he says 1920´s..

Chren..........great idea..........the best reason to build a rifle in any caliber is simply because you want to.
JohnH......that is a beautiful rifle. Would be a pleasure to hunt with...thanks for posting.......................FWB

The thread starter did not say, he wants it to hunt DG with.... he just want to build a 10,75x68 rifle.

There is nothing wrong with this cartridge, you just have to know it's limits.

Today, with todays powders and todays premium bullets, it easily develops the performance of a 1900s .404 Rimless..... witch was prised for its effectiveness!

People do not get killed, because they use a 10,75x68 properly, but because they miss with their Super Magnum.

HWL

Yes the OP did not mention DG. You mentioned everything in Africa which includes many DG species.....

I will say it again, use it within its limitations but a DG game rifle it ain't, using one for that will greatly increase your chances of failure....injury...or death....

I had absolutely no clue about Donald and Kenneth Anderson's reputation in India! As I mentioned before, I started out my interest in hunting through book collecting so I have multiple titles of his sitting on my bookshelf. It's interesting to hear that light cast upon him, as you would never know from his writing. Guess it goes to show you the story is at the mercy of the author. To the rest, thank you so much for all of the advice, and I'm glad that this started such a broad discussion! I really look forward to learning a lot from this site, as it seems like there are some incredibly well-versed and insanely well-seasoned hunters who have a lot of information to give.

I had absolutely no clue about Donald and Kenneth Anderson's reputation in India! As I mentioned before, I started out my interest in hunting through book collecting so I have multiple titles of his sitting on my bookshelf. It's interesting to hear that light cast upon him, as you would never know from his writing. Guess it goes to show you the story is at the mercy of the author. To the rest, thank you so much for all of the advice, and I'm glad that this started such a broad discussion! I really look forward to learning a lot from this site, as it seems like there are some incredibly well-versed and insanely well-seasoned hunters who have a lot of information to give.
Screenshot_20200513-025646_01.png
Screenshot_20200513-025650_01.png
Screenshot_20200513-025718_01.png

Don's own words . He and his father were swines .and traitors to the Indian shikar community .

I got in to a very unrestrained argument with Kenneth once ... When he tried to lecture me and Tobin about why eating venison and game meat is immoral .
Kenneth had already gotten divorced , by then. He used to live in Prospect House in South Bangalore ... At the time .

Fellow Forum member , @Kawshik Rahman had actually guided Don on a gaur bison shikar in 1962 .

@chren If I missed you saying, I apologize. What kind of rifle are you into doing? Modern? Classic? Hybrid? Mauser action or something else.

@WebleyGreene455 I would love to get a classic look to it! I know it's heavy and prone to warp if not treated well, but I have always loved wooden stocks (preferably with an ebony end cap) on a Mauser action. I am not absolutely concerned with making everything beautiful, as I would love to be able to take it out into the field without worrying about scuffs or scrapes!\

@Major Khan I'm currently losing myself in reading your write up on The Art of Hunting The Royal Bengal Tiger, and WOW is it fascinating! I can't help but ask: In your opinion do you ever see India re-opening to shikar? It's still ridiculous to me that countries turn a blind eye to this clearly more effective method in favor of all-out bans (looking at you, Kenya) while efforts from South Africa and North America prove that they are far and away a better method of wildlife protection.

@WebleyGreene455 I would love to get a classic look to it! I know it's heavy and prone to warp if not treated well, but I have always loved wooden stocks (preferably with an ebony end cap) on a Mauser action. I am not absolutely concerned with making everything beautiful, as I would love to be able to take it out into the field without worrying about scuffs or scrapes!\

@Major Khan I'm currently losing myself in reading your write up on The Art of Hunting The Royal Bengal Tiger, and WOW is it fascinating! I can't help but ask: In your opinion do you ever see India re-opening to shikar? It's still ridiculous to me that countries turn a blind eye to this clearly more effective method in favor of all-out bans (looking at you, Kenya) while efforts from South Africa and North America prove that they are far and away a better method of wildlife protection.

Sadly ... I doubt that it ever will , Chren .
Since 1972 , India has indoctrinated it's youth savagely against meat eating and hunting . Cultural manipulation at it's worst .

Indian " Bolly Wood " cinema productions turn out hundreds of trashy films , every year . Films which glorify their agenda .Virtually every " Bolly Wood " film which features meat eaters ... Portrays us as savages or evil people . Virtually every " Bolly Wood " film which features hunters ... Portrays us as evil psychopathic people . Every " Bolly Wood " film that features fire arms ... portrays us fire arms owners as criminals . And Indian " Scholars " write articles , trying to get the rest of the world to ban hunting , as well ( Fortunately , it is not working ) .

Bear in mind that every living person , who has ever legally hunted in India is now over 65 years old . Many are dead , or ( like myself and my friends ) have left India to go live in other countries .
The youth of India have absolutely no idea about what hunting is ... Other than the fact that it was " A shameful part of white colonial oppression / exploitation and destruction of the eco system , in India's history " .

You have the machinations of Indira Gandhi's renegade vegan , fanatical Hindu government ... To thank for that.

By the way , on the subject of your .423 Mauser ( 10.75 x 68 mm ) calibre rifle , I would personally recommend the following set up :
> French walnut wood stock
> Douglas barrel
> BRNO ZKK 600 action ( You can hold 6 cartridges in it ) .

But the other gentle men give good recommendations , as well .

And here ... Read this . It will get you started in the right direction .
Screenshot_20200513-042344.png
Screenshot_20200513-042349.png
Screenshot_20200513-042355.png
Screenshot_20200513-042359.png

Last edited:
Reactions: HWL

Gotcha. Now, if you were looking, that one I linked pics of is actually for sale atm. You'd get the genuine article with it, and one that was shipped to Kenya back in the day at that. But if building is your preference, go for it and best of luck!

@Major Khan You know, I really wonder how hunting of any kind was "part of white colonial oppression", as if Indians weren't hunting for centuries before the first European ever set foot in that part of the world. Indians were hunting before Alexander the Great went there around 1700 years before the Europeans. The Mughals conquered India (and ruled it for a lot longer than the British ever did, IIRC) and they certainly went hunting but I guess they don't count to the historically illiterate who proclaim "oppression" when there is none.

And out of curiosity, how are the French thought of in India? Or the Dutch for that matter? I presume most of the "white colonial oppression" is directed towards the British but there was definitely some pro-French sentiment and pro-Napoleon support in some parts some two hundred-odd years ago. I wonder how much of that is still remembered now.

@chren , also this 1 should be able to steer you in the right direction .
Screenshot_20200513-043252.png
Screenshot_20200513-043303.png
Screenshot_20200513-043311.png
Screenshot_20200513-043317.png

PS : Stay away from the 400 grain bullet suggestion , in this article . You sacrifice an already unremarkable amount of case capacity . Stick to traditional Woodleigh 347 grain bullets .

Gotcha. Now, if you were looking, that one I linked pics of is actually for sale atm. You'd get the genuine article with it, and one that was shipped to Kenya back in the day at that. But if building is your preference, go for it and best of luck!

@Major Khan You know, I really wonder how hunting of any kind was "part of white colonial oppression", as if Indians weren't hunting for centuries before the first European ever set foot in that part of the world. Indians were hunting before Alexander the Great went there around 1700 years before the Europeans. The Mughals conquered India (and ruled it for a lot longer than the British ever did, IIRC) and they certainly went hunting but I guess they don't count to the historically illiterate who proclaim "oppression" when there is none.

And out of curiosity, how are the French thought of in India? Or the Dutch for that matter? I presume most of the "white colonial oppression" is directed towards the British but there was definitely some pro-French sentiment and pro-Napoleon support in some parts some two hundred-odd years ago. I wonder how much of that is still remembered now.
If only Indians thought like you and I , Webley . Unfortunately , common sense and Indians do not mix . Bear in mind ... We are talking about a group of people who still promote the drinking of cow urine ... As an aphrodisiac . Most fanatical Hindu Indians of today's generation forget that deer hunting is mentioned ( positively ) in even the earliest of Hindu literature , such as the " Ramayana " ( Which features Lord Ram , a Hindu deity hunting a cheetal deer ... in order to gift the skin to his wife , Sita ) .

To answer your question .... Indians currently think extremely negatively of Americans , British people , Australians , Europeans , Mughals , Muslims and Caucasians in general . They view us as evil beings , Hell bent on " Exploiting India " .

I think you can easily understand why I despise them so much .

Last edited:
If only Indians thought like you and I , Webley . Unfortunately , common sense and Indians do not mix . Bear in mind ... We are talking about a group of people who still promote the drinking of cow urine ... As an aphrodisiac . Most fanatical Hindu Indians of today's generation forget that deer hunting is mentioned ( positively ) in even the earliest of Hindu literature , such as the " Ramayana " ( Which features Lord Ram , a Hindu deity hunting a cheetal deer ... in order to gift the skin to his wife , Sita ) .

To answer your question .... Indians currently think extremely negatively of Americans , British people , Australians , Europeans , Mughals , Muslims and Caucasians in general . They view us as evil beings , Hell bent on " Exploiting India " .

I think you can easily understand why I despise them so much .
In fairness, they aren't entirely incorrect in that belief. European exploitation of India did happen during the last six hundred years. One of my favorite books (and movies) is about an Indian man seeking revenge on the West for its genuine oppression of peoples the world over (and for the torture and deaths of his wife and child by the British, in the movie), but at least he had good enough reason for it in the mid-1800s. But there's no discussing the details of history with those who shutter themselves to them, unfortunately, and that problem is growing larger all over the world.

In fairness, they aren't entirely incorrect in that belief. European exploitation of India did happen during the last six hundred years. One of my favorite books (and movies) is about an Indian man seeking revenge on the West for its genuine oppression of peoples the world over (and for the torture and deaths of his wife and child by the British, in the movie), but at least he had good enough reason for it in the mid-1800s. But there's no discussing the details of history with those who shutter themselves to them, unfortunately, and that problem is growing larger all over the world.
It also does not justify Indians blaming Europeans for harmful things which the Indians did to themselves ... 25 years after the British had already left India . Europeans did exploit India . Yes . But they did a great deal of good things to India , as well . They banned Jinxa , which was a tax imposed by Muslim rulers on non Muslim residents of their kingdoms . They banned Satee , which was the Hindu ritual of burning widows to death on their husband’s funeral pyre ... after their husbands passed away . They stopped child marriage and encouraged the education of women . They introduced sanitation , trousers and proper medical facilities . Most of India’s still existing rail lines and tram lines were built during the British era . There are 2 sides to every coin .

Another thing worth noting is that the various Kingdoms of India were already clashing violently with each other , practically every year ... Long before the British had EVEN ARRIVED in India . No one was happy . The British just took advantage of the continuous local clashes and took over India ... as a result . I do not support British colonization either . However , it is undeniable that European rule had brought a great deal of stability to India .

The inescapable reality of history is this : No Body’s Hands Are Completely Clean .

Last edited:
It also does not justify Indians blaming Europeans for harmful things which the Indians did to themselves ... 20 years after the British had already left India . Europeans did exploit India . Yes . But they did a great deal of good things to India , as well . They banned Jinxa , which was a tax imposed by Muslim rulers on non Muslim residents of their kingdoms . They banned Satee , which was the Hindu ritual of burning widows to death on their husband’s funeral pyre ... after their husbands passed away . They stopped child marriage and encouraged the education of women . They introduced sanitation , trousers and proper medical facilities . Most of India’s still existing rail lines and tram lines were built during the British era . There are 2 sides to every coin .

Another thing worth noting is that the various Kingdoms of India were already clashing violently with each other , practically every year ... Long before the British had EVEN ARRIVED in India . No one was happy . The British just took advantage of the continuous local clashes and took over India ... as a result . I do not support British colonization either . However , it is undeniable that European rule had brought a great deal of stability to India .
Indeed there are two sides, and as you say, the infighting between the kingdoms was present, just as there was infighting between Native American peoples, the Saxons, the Germanians and Gauls and Celts, the Samurai houses. In nearly every single part of the world since the dawn of time, there was some kind of conflict or other (and still is) that had nothing to do with any kind of outside force and often only ended once a so-called colonial power came in and did its damnedest to unify those areas, even if that process did not go so well.

But that's history. Learn from the past and move on to a better future. Boils my blood when people my age fixate so much on only one side of the coin and keep themselves ignorant of something they could learn from. It's part of why I couldn't stand to be a teacher, despite liking to help educate people; you can't teach someone who doesn't want to be taught (and you can't throw chalk at them when they don't listen either).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,