Planning my first hunt in Africa

It's with mark Hudson safaris. We are trying to figure out if it is possible to go this August or if it is more realistic to plan for next August.

First off, does Mark Hudson have room for your trip August 2012? As a donated trip this is an issue. Ask him.

Look at the "safari planner" for questions and issues.

Do you each get these species or do you have to share? You adding more?

My dad and I bought a 7 day 5 animal trip at a ducks unlimited auction and are trying to plan it out. Looking for advise from people who have been before.

Never underestimate the value of REFERENCES (available on this site). Never hesitate to ASK all your QUESTIONS to the outfitter!

It will be helpful if you can give us more specific questions, e.g. what rifle to take, what clothes to wear etc.

Welcome to a great forum. I'm a new guy, just made my first trip to SA last spring. Here are couple of things that pop into my mind (some have already been said):

Wear your good, worn in boots on the plane and change into slippers on board. That way if your luggage gets lost you still have the most important part of your wardrobe that can't be replaced en route.

Start working out now, you are going to walk, crawl and slither a lot if your hunt and outfitter are any good.

The animals in your package are not guaranteed, they are just included if you get the shots and kill them. Start shooting now, and do it as much as you can. Most PH's try to get you in to less than 200 yards for your shot.

If your PH says "That is a really GOOD (fill in the blank), you need to take it", do it if you can afford the trophy fee and even if you can't.

If you plan to use the outfitter's rifles take an ammo pouch with you to put on your belt. It would have saved me from an embarrassing experience I had taken one.

Keep checking in here and asking any and all questions your have. Folks here are really helpful.

If there's room for the hunt this year you can do it, just get going on the passport NOW! I wear my first mornings clothes (for a cool morning) and boots on board. I carry moccasins in my on board backpack for the flight. I keep all my prescriptions, camera, paperback books, glasses etc in that backpack. If I have nothing else I can hunt 10 days that way. Don't sweat the small stuff, you've got enough time. Just keep asking questions here.

Welcome .300wby !
Some great tips posted already above.
Consider adding 3 or more days if you can swing it.
It may take you a day or two to get over the jet lag and adjust to the time change.
Ducks Unlimited you say? F.Y.I there are some great wing shooting opportunities available there.
Preparing for your hunt and the anticipation is a good portion of the fun.
Enjoy!

Welcome .300wby !
Some great tips posted already above.
Consider adding 3 or more days if you can swing it.
It may take you a day or two to get over the jet lag and adjust to the time change.
Ducks Unlimited you say? F.Y.I there are some great wing shooting opportunities available there.
Preparing for your hunt and the anticipation is a good portion of the fun.
Enjoy!

Ah, yes, wing shooting. Spent one day shooting at rock pigeons, here's a tip: DO NOT shoot rockies with a 20 gauge, use a 12 (it has to be a double barrel, too, semi's are not allowed into SA). I also spent a couple hours the last afternoon shooting Egyptian geese that I doubt had ever seen a decoy before. Great fun, great fun. Sadly, the USFWS would not let the bird skins into the U.S...

You should have a great time even if you didnt discover a new species to shoot at. Lots of info here and lots of knowledgeable hunters.

Know Mark Hudson very well we hunted together at John X safari's in 99' shortly afterwards he went solo, Talk to him he runs a good outfit and places allot of focus on personalized attention. He will be more than happy to accomodate and answer any and all that you might have.

Have a great time.
My best always.

My dad and I bought a 7 day 5 animal trip at a ducks unlimited auction and are trying to plan it out. Looking for advise from people who have been before.

Enjoy the excitement and the planning process. It is all part of the safari!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross