Plains game

Have hosted a number of clients over the years that used doubles on plains game , at least 5 I can think of
Nice to use them on giraffe too
But takes a bit of patience to get in comfortable range, but it’s worth it and good fun

Thanks Stuart,
I forgot about my 116 yard medium size cull giraffe at Talley Ho in 2021.
PH Rudi measured the distance with a laser range finder.
The photos below are screen shots from a short video.
I didn't post these on YouTube to be able to provide an access link for all because culling the smaller giraffe looks bad. That action was nesessary for Tally Ho to maintain a healthy habitat for all the other animals.

Barrels of my trusty Heym in lower left.
Target was smaller giraffe on left.
1779021741959.png


Smaller giraffe going down after hit with 470 grain CEB Safari Raptor.
1779021765007.png
 
It’s a good challenge and underrated. A double rifle is a sporting arm through and through, and not just a dangerous game implement.

The pictures below are from Kwa Zulu Natal, in the Pongola, Johzini Dam area. I would not pick the same firearm for most of Namibia.

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg
 
Used my S2 in 9.3x74r and 325gr Norma oryx to take some stuff last year, even a zebra past 250 yards. Second shot on the waterbuck was 75 yard broadside in the brain at full run (lucky accident, bullet deflected)
 

Attachments

  • 20250905_074027.jpg
    20250905_074027.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 62
  • 20250904_074403.jpg
    20250904_074403.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 99
  • 20250904_065548.jpg
    20250904_065548.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 85
Very few people use a double rifle for plains game, and most of those who do are doing it for the experience, not because it’s practical. A double is heavier, less accurate at range, and more expensive than a good bolt gun.
 
If you use one, it is nice to have one accurate enough to drop game out to 200 yards and one that will take an easily dismountable scope to make it possible. My Blaser S2 wearing 30-06 barrels.

nyala.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,440
Messages
1,576,431
Members
170,584
Latest member
RevaLovely
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top