Plains Game Magnum?

Plains Game Magnum, popular or

• Total voters
I think the reason some don't like the 270 is because it is loaded to much higher pressure than a 30-06. Some of the bullets in factory loading were quite explosive. African game has the lungs up closer to the shoulder and they us the shoulder shot more. They do sell the meat and I would imagine them hot 270 loads made a mess out of a quarter. Here in the US deer hunter use the lung shot more and a deer lungs are farther back. The problem is easily solved by using a good bullet like a barnes or a-frame but not everyone is a reloader.

There are many knowledgeable members, putting up 3 names and saying at least one is, knowledgeable, well it gets me thinking. It might unsettle a few of our aquaintances, There are a few who don’t find me funny.

I speak of the Australian trends and preferences as I am confident my comments are accurate. Others can quote ballistics some have hunted the world. Some are taxidermists we all know something about the subject matter and no doubt there are some full of themselves.

@colorado got a bear, now that’s something I would like. The experience and a bear skin rug, plenty of floor space. For that.

There are many knowledgeable members, putting up 3 names and saying at least one is, knowledgeable, well it gets me thinking. It might unsettle a few of our aquaintances, There are a few who don’t find me funny.

I speak of the Australian trends and preferences as I am confident my comments are accurate. Others can quote ballistics some have hunted the world. Some are taxidermists we all know something about the subject matter and no doubt there are some full of themselves.

@colorado got a bear, now that’s something I would like. The experience and a bear skin rug, plenty of floor space. For that.
@CBH
Chris I reckon you know a thing or 3 mate.
After you finish your renos start saving and stop talking. The borders will be open one day, then it's a phone call and you and the missus are gone. Grandparents C ant look after the billy lids while your away. Load up that win mag or 375 and start practicing on the pigs mate. There's no such thing as to much gun on pigs.
Bob.

@CBH Australia I too have looked into the zero at 25 yards theory. If nothing else it could be a good starting point, and see from there. I'm not big on these long distance shots, and I'm certainly not one to be adjusting my scope in the field for the proper yardage. I prefer more of a MPBR setup, and as such do prefer a flatter shooting cartridge such as the .270. You mentioned the 7mm-08 and I think that's a fine cartridge as well!
@Fastrig You've got me reading up on the 338 Federal. I have no real knowledge about it. Whenever I even hear anything like 338 my shoulder feels sore!
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen I think the 25-06 is an awesome caliber! (And very under-rated) I would say it certainly out-shoots the .243 when loaded with the same weight projectile, but won't quite hit the .270 performance. I certainly understand the .308 is more popular. One can't argue about the efficiency of a caliber such as that which has proven itself for many years. I was just surprised to see people say NO to the .270 and then throw support to the .308. I don't dislike the .308, in fact I've got a lot of respect for it, but in a way the .270 seems "better".....Even though (as stated above) I'm not really into the long distance shooting trend.
Perhaps @lwaters is on to something regarding North American game vs African game and the positioning of the vitals. It may be possible that the .270 is truly more suitable for North American species. And with that thought, and the comparison to the .308, I do realize that the 180gr is probably overall the most popular weight for the .308 and as such, I used not only the 150gr, but the 180gr as well in my comparison. (Fastrig and Bob both made comments about using 180s)
At the end of it all, shoot what you like, and what works for you. Use the proper bullets (leave paper punchers at home), and make sure you have proper shot placement! For what it's worth, my hat's off to you gentlemen (and ladies) who can comfortably and confidently shoot big bores and even mid bores properly. I'm too much of a ¶u$$y! I have a 300WM that collects dust because I find that although it kills with the one end it wounds with the other!

@CBH Australia I too have looked into the zero at 25 yards theory. If nothing else it could be a good starting point, and see from there. I'm not big on these long distance shots, and I'm certainly not one to be adjusting my scope in the field for the proper yardage. I prefer more of a MPBR setup, and as such do prefer a flatter shooting cartridge such as the .270. You mentioned the 7mm-08 and I think that's a fine cartridge as well!
@Fastrig You've got me reading up on the 338 Federal. I have no real knowledge about it. Whenever I even hear anything like 338 my shoulder feels sore!
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen I think the 25-06 is an awesome caliber! (And very under-rated) I would say it certainly out-shoots the .243 when loaded with the same weight projectile, but won't quite hit the .270 performance. I certainly understand the .308 is more popular. One can't argue about the efficiency of a caliber such as that which has proven itself for many years. I was just surprised to see people say NO to the .270 and then throw support to the .308. I don't dislike the .308, in fact I've got a lot of respect for it, but in a way the .270 seems "better".....Even though (as stated above) I'm not really into the long distance shooting trend.
Perhaps @lwaters is on to something regarding North American game vs African game and the positioning of the vitals. It may be possible that the .270 is truly more suitable for North American species. And with that thought, and the comparison to the .308, I do realize that the 180gr is probably overall the most popular weight for the .308 and as such, I used not only the 150gr, but the 180gr as well in my comparison. (Fastrig and Bob both made comments about using 180s)
At the end of it all, shoot what you like, and what works for you. Use the proper bullets (leave paper punchers at home), and make sure you have proper shot placement! For what it's worth, my hat's off to you gentlemen (and ladies) who can comfortably and confidently shoot big bores and even mid bores properly. I'm too much of a ¶u$$y! I have a 300WM that collects dust because I find that although it kills with the one end it wounds with the other!

338 Federal recoils about the same as a 308, a little more but not much....definitely nothing like the 338 win mags. I got rid of my 338 win mag precisely because it kicked more than some big bores I’ve shot. Here is an excellent article on the round being use with a Kimberly rifle about a year after its release that you might enjoy reviewing.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/ammunition_338_101207/83415

For the experts , what do you think about the 300 Wby?
Well...
21768714_1684072404938429_6346059635972179553_o.jpeg

:LOL:(y) , very funny comic !

But I don't think so, I have one. It is true that at the stand, he slams well but in the action of hunting it passes.
No more than my 458WM or my 375HH.
And I spoke about it because I found that for the plains game, it was quite suitable having a tense shot and a long range.
Well, that was my opinion.

One caveat for the MAGNUMs, if you're shooting in to a herd of the smaller PG at any distance up to 500 meters, it'd be a good idea to see if there is another animal standing behind the one you have in your crosshairs. :oops:

I would increase that distance by a long ways and say that if any animal is behind it or may move at the shot not to take it.

With my 340 Weatherby I have yet to recover a bullet from any of the animals that I have shot with it.

With thin skinned plains game I believe that I could shoot through 2 if not 3 animals at 500 yards.

(y) , very funny comic !

But I don't think so, I have one. It is true that at the stand, he slams well but in the action of hunting it passes.
No more than my 458WM or my 375HH.
And I spoke about it because I found that for the plains game, it was quite suitable having a tense shot and a long range.
Well, that was my opinion.
All joking aside, If you can handle it it will certainly do the job. I have a friend who uses one. He and his Father use them for whitetail deer in Kansas on the family farm and he uses it for caribou in Alaska. He has no complaints so I'm sure it would work on plains game.

All joking aside, If you can handle it it will certainly do the job. I have a friend who uses one. He and his Father use them for whitetail deer in Kansas on the family farm and he uses it for caribou in Alaska. He has no complaints so I'm sure it would work on plains game.

One of the best hunters I know uses one exclusively. He is in WY so much of his hunting is high mountain or open plains. He is extremely successful with it. I suspect that if you are hunting in longer range scenarios as he is, it is likely a great round. Inside 400 yards I can’t see what one of these magnums can possibly do that you could not do just as well or better with a lot less recoil and muzzle blast.

Have you tried a fast follow up shot with one of these over-bored cartridges at last light? The muzzle blast will likely blind you and make a follow up shot impossible.

One of the best hunters I know uses one exclusively. He is in WY so much of his hunting is high mountain or open plains. He is extremely successful with it. I suspect that if you are hunting in longer range scenarios as he is, it is likely a great round. Inside 400 yards I can’t see what one of these magnums can possibly do that you could not do just as well or better with a lot less recoil and muzzle blast.

Have you tried a fast follow up shot with one of these over-bored cartridges at last light? The muzzle blast will likely blind you and make a follow up shot impossible.

A 300 win mag is as much as anyone needs in the continental 48 and HI, will even do in a pinch in AK. It’s a very manageable magnum for most people and follow up shots aren’t much of an issue. Even that though is more gun than needed in most cases, IMHO. The only critters you should have something with a bit more punch is the big browns, but a 338 federal or 9.3x62 would work just fine. Any of the 7mm’s, a 308, 338 federal, 30-06, etc are plenty for everything else. I moved to a 300 win mag when I retired my old 308, mostly because I got a smoking deal on it that I couldn’t pass up, but after getting a 9.3x62 barrel for the rifle I find I’m reaching for the non-magnum option more and more. Africa is probably a different story but not sure how much different it really is on PG animals, will find out next April (taking the 9.3). Going again in 2022 for leopard and will be taking the 300 win mag for that hunt as that was recommended by folks here whose advice and opinions I’ve come to have a great deal of respect for. The PH for that hunt also recommended the 300 win mag. I’d like to get a 7x64 to pair with the 9.3 because they use the same standard bolt head on my rifle, but that’s more a want than a need. If I‘m fortunate enough to go to Africa for a third trip, I’ll probably get a 375 of some variety so I’m “legal” for a buff hunt or maybe a lion. The 9.3 is fine IMO for those two, but the rules say a 375 so that’s what I’d take. The bigger portable cannons I’ll leave to the PH’s to carry.

.375 H&H / 300 gr round nose soft.
300 H&H / 180 grain spitzer soft.
7MM Rem. Mag / 160 gr spitzer soft.
8x57 Mauser / 196 gr semi spitzer soft.
.30-06 / 220 gr round nose soft.

Numbers 1. and 4. and 5. are my preference for the more typical African hunting conditions of under about 300 paces.

Numbers 2. and 3. are my preference for longer shots in more open geography / sparse foliage.

The .375 H&H is generally speaking, and by far my favorite of them all, especially since I am very fond of hunting (and eating) eland.
Plus, it is not very destructive on the meat and skins of smaller animals.
It is also because ammunition for it is very available wherever hunting in African countries is common.

Last edited:
@Graham Hunter I'm wondering the same thing as you regarding @Divernhunter , @Philip Glass , and @Bob Nelson 35Whelen and them saying that a .270 isn't good, but a .308 is just fine.
I don't get it, but they (at least one of them seems quite knowledgeable from my experience) might know something that we don't. I actually really quite like the .270.
View attachment 367501View attachment 367502
Personal experience is where I’m coming from. I’ve personally been on safari with friends using .270 and 6.5 Creedmore. Both guys are great shots and great hunters and both spent their time trailing wounded game. If you drive around a well stocked game farm taking close shots most of the time you can use anything and likely do alright.
I am here giving advice from experience and I want people to have a great safari and be successful. When you hunt your butt off and finally get a 300 yard shot at that animal you flew across the globe to hunt you need to be able to be successful on that difficult shot. Unlike deer African animals need to be broken down. The discussion of “what’s the smallest I can get away with” doesn’t fly with me.
I’ve been to Africa 15 times and now enjoy taking guys with me so I can share my passion and experience. I am busy advising my safari groups for the next two years on all things safari. Thankfully I don’t have anyone asking to take the aforementioned calibers. Last year one new hunter followed my advice and took a .300 Win Mag and he had the best hunt and did much better than his friend with the little 6.5. Just an example from experience.
Regards,
Philip

Personal experience is where I’m coming from. I’ve personally been on safari with friends using .270 and 6.5 Creedmore. Both guys are great shots and great hunters and both spent their time trailing wounded game. If you drive around a well stocked game farm taking close shots most of the time you can use anything and likely do alright.
I am here giving advice from experience and I want people to have a great safari and be successful. When you hunt your butt off and finally get a 300 yard shot at that animal you flew across the globe to hunt you need to be able to be successful on that difficult shot. Unlike deer African animals need to be broken down. The discussion of “what’s the smallest I can get away with” doesn’t fly with me.
I’ve been to Africa 15 times and now enjoy taking guys with me so I can share my passion and experience. I am busy advising my safari groups for the next two years on all things safari. Thankfully I don’t have anyone asking to take the aforementioned calibers. Last year one new hunter followed my advice and took a .300 Win Mag and he had the best hunt and did much better than his friend with the little 6.5. Just an example from experience.
Regards,
Philip

The only comment I can make is they were either bad shots, used the wrong bullet or took marginal shots. I've hunted Africa with guys using both cartridges and there weren't any blood trails I killed dozens of animals with 6.5x47 and a 6.5x284 at ranges to 700 yards with zero blood trails. For me it's like the old saying that goes with paint, it hides a multitude of sins. Same goes for some hunters shooting magnums, at least on PG. I will add that if I was taking friends with unknown skills, I'd tell them to take .375s.

...... I was taking friends with unknown skills, I'd tell them to take .375s.
For sure , like saying by @Velo Dog :
The .375 H&H is generally speaking, and by far my favorite of them all, especially since I am very fond of hunting (and eating) eland.
Plus, it is not very destructive on the meat and skins of smaller animals.
It is also because ammunition for it is very available wherever hunting in African countries is common.
I've had my 375HH for 35 years and it does the job on all types of animals, from the forest duiker to the buffalo.

I took one guy who hunted with a .300 WM. He completely lost one zebra, took more than one shot on several animals and followed blood trails. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg