Plains game by relive starting to be done

I have to agree with Royal, I too prefer the 1st giraffe photo/pose. Unless you were pressed for ceiling height, the second one looks to be a little shorter due to the deeper curve in the neck.

You have good taste as those are the same two pic's I used for detail. I like the soft muscle tone on the face of #1 but the body detail in pic #2. I just wanted a ped. mount so I could show the size of the body and having that hump of the back in the mount shows the mass of the eland I think.

Agree on the hump. If you lose the hump, you lose a good part of what makes an Eland an Eland!

Are forms readily available that go back far enough to keep the hump?

Brisket to hump distance really makes the Eland look huge!

haha! dang! I tried taking my boy to Africa in 2013 but he didn't want to go! he is now 10 and has taken a coyote and fox on his own with me! but taking a springbok slam at 11 must be really neat!
just be glad they don't want to hunt hippo yet like my boy does! haha

Agree on the hump. If you lose the hump, you lose a good part of what makes an Eland an Eland!

Are forms readily available that go back far enough to keep the hump?

Brisket to hump distance really makes the Eland look huge!

Tim my eland forms had body added to them and the hump made bigger. You can see the forms in the thread before any of the skin was added. Must eland are not done like how mine are.

haha! dang! I tried taking my boy to Africa in 2013 but he didn't want to go! he is now 10 and has taken a coyote and fox on his own with me! but taking a springbok slam at 11 must be really neat!
just be glad they don't want to hunt hippo yet like my boy does! haha

MY kid wants a hippo and a roan along with nyala,red hardebeest and some more stuff. He is now working with me since school is done to help earn some of those animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Royal, I too prefer the 1st giraffe photo/pose. Unless you were pressed for ceiling height, the second one looks to be a little shorter due to the deeper curve in the neck.

You and royal like my first pick then. I may do a happy medium between the two waiting on pauls ideas right now.

Tim my eland forms had body added to them and the hump made bigger. You can see the forms in the thread before any of the skin was added. Must eland are not done like how mine are.

Ok, went back and looked.

Yes, I like that. I think I am going to do mine straight ahead though, with the two kudu on either side with a turn? Then maybe the waterbuck and gemsbok each with a turn?

The blesbok has to have a turn too....

Then a zebra pedestal...

haha, looks like we are in for a good haul one day then, bill!

Tim just remember both our eland are floor peds. Not sure you will get the same effect with a shoulder mount size wise but check with paul. I like the turned pose because of the wrinkles and folds you can add to the mount. You could do a wall ped, but again will not show all the mass you get from a floor ped.

Love the dark giraffe, he would look awesome like #1 IMO if you have the clearance. Like #2 if you have to go under any underpasses on the way home. :D

Love the dark giraffe, he would look awesome like #1 IMO if you have the clearance. Like #2 if you have to go under any underpasses on the way home. :D

I have the room if I cut a hole in the second floor for the head to go through. LOL Lets jus say the giraffe will make me get my ass moving to get the room redone. Going to add 2ft to the height of the walls for 10ft high walls and redo the roof so I will have 16 to 17 ft of clearance in the center on two walls.

I am just going to stay with my first pick as paul and everyone here likes that one best . I think my giraffe will look really good done like that. I will post pictures as I get them so all can see how this mount goes.

I have the room if I cut a hole in the second floor for the head to go through. LOL Lets jus say the giraffe will make me get my ass moving to get the room redone. Going to add 2ft to the height of the walls for 10ft high walls and redo the roof so I will have 16 to 17 ft of clearance in the center on two walls.

I am just going to stay with my first pick as paul and everyone here likes that one best . I think my giraffe will look really good done like that. I will post pictures as I get them so all can see how this mount goes.

Haha...good thing you can do your own work!

some time back there was a picture of safari girls wall pedestal giraffe , if you have the ceilings for it , its worth seeing

some time back there was a picture of safari girls wall pedestal giraffe , if you have the ceilings for it , its worth seeing

I do remember seeing that mount and it was very nice. I will need to see if I can find it again though to look at it again.

I think both giraffe mounts would look good! I think #2 has more character to it.

I vote for #2

I like the #2 also but think some of it is because of the color of the giraffe. I think the first gives the height to show off but is different compared to the straight on pose you normally see.

I just think #1 epitomizes an african icon. No need to get fancy.

The start of the giraffe. When I started of even thinking of hunting one it was more for the skin to make some chairs out of it. When I took this one I like his colors so much I decide to do a mount also but wanted my chairs to. The body will not be huge as I had them skin it short for a ped. mount but leaving enough hide to tan for some chairs. The neck area will be the focus with just enough body to give some idea of size. It saves some room also on how far it sticks out for the wall.

This just shows the form and a rough fit of skin before then start making the turn of the neck. They had to add length to the neck so far.

Giraffe_Form_ready.jpg
IMG_0660.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg

Bill, I should hire you to ramrod my stuff. I know nothing and you seem to be on top of this stuff.

Very exciting to see it all come together!

Well, except for that one guy putting the head on backwards!:LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you