PH and US Leopard hunter in Namibia arrested

Roy Sparks:

Government Notice

MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND TOURISM

No. 9 2010

AMENDMENT OF REGULATIONS RELATING TO NATURE CONSERVATION: NATURE CONSERVATION ORDINANCE, 1975

Under section 84 of the Nature Conservation Ordinance, 1975 (Ordinance 4 of 1975), read with sections 27 and 36 of that Ordinance, I have amended the regulations set out in the Schedule.

N. NANDI-NDAITWAH

MINISTER OF ENVIRONMENT

AND TOURISM
Windhoek, 14 January 2010

See attached document.

Attachments

• #Amended M E T Regulations.pdf
    318.9 KB · Views: 126
http://www.met.gov.na/Documents/Conditions for leopard,cheetah and lion.pdf

Permit Conditions:
5. Predators may only be hunted for trophies under the following conditions -

f) a predator may be stalked, tracked or ambushed, but dogs or horses may not be used to hunt it;

No. 9 Amendment of regulations relating to Nature Conservation: Nature Conservation Ordinance, 1975 29 January 2010

114C 5 f)
a predator may be stalked, tracked or ambushed, but dogs or horses may not be used for that purpose or for hunting;
Ah see , the amended version specifically refers to " trophy hunting limitations " , I do not see any restrictions pertaining to a landowners limitations for controlling a problem animal.

Then also evident is that the " new law " omits to state anything " very clear " about follow up on wounded leopard as claimed by Mr. Ling.

Ah see , the amended version specifically refers to " trophy hunting limitations " , I do not see any restrictions pertaining to a landowners limitations for controlling a problem animal.

Then also evident is that the " new law " omits to state anything " very clear " about follow up on wounded leopard as claimed by Mr. Ling.
Furthermore the amended law still has loopholes pertaining to " trophy hunting " - as the written law stands in this instance it is still possible to engage in canned hunting of predators in Namibia , as it seems it would be quite legal to trap such predator and simply release it because once free of restraint you are clear. You could in fact shoot it two feet outside the trap and be legal - from the protection of a stationery vehicle !!

Roy Sparks:

(i) a predator may not be hunted unless it belongs to a wild and sustainable population (It exists as a naturally interacting member of a wild and sustainable population in an area large enough for it to breed, forage and hunt freely and where there is a natural state of balance between forage, predator and prey);

(j) a predator bred in captivity may not be trophy hunted;

(k) a predator to be hunted may not be drugged in any form;

(l) a canned hunting (any restriction of an animal’s natural movement for the purpose of trophy hunting) in any form is illegal;

Roy Sparks:

(i) a predator may not be hunted unless it belongs to a wild and sustainable population (It exists as a naturally interacting member of a wild and sustainable population in an area large enough for it to breed, forage and hunt freely and where there is a natural state of balance between forage, predator and prey);

(j) a predator bred in captivity may not be trophy hunted;

(k) a predator to be hunted may not be drugged in any form;

(l) a canned hunting (any restriction of an animal’s natural movement for the purpose of trophy hunting) in any form is illegal;
Mr. Ling , a wild leopard for instance trapped in a box trap today belongs to a wild sustainable population where it existed naturally etc etc.

When said leopard not bred in captivity and not drugged in any form is released from any restriction of its natural movement i.e. out the door of a cage / box trap into an area exceeding 1000 hectares , you could shoot it from a stationery vehicle in Namibia two feet out of the trap within the area exceeding 1000 hectares and in my opinion it would be legal.

Roy Sparks:

Roy Sparks:
Like I said before , once released it is no longer restricted, especially so into an area exceeding 1000 hectares. Back to the round table Mr. Ling. Oh there are some other loopholes , but you can expect to pay me for me to point them out for you , or maybe you could persuade MET to effect payment.

Mr. Ling why did they specifically say it is illegal to shoot these predators from a " MOVING " vehicle ? I suppose you could actually chase it like a demon till it lies down from exhaustion then stop the vehicle switch off the motor , wait for the dust to settle then dispatch it like a sportsman ! Not quite cricket old chap to go tearing after the cat in your motorised chariot and taking pot shots at it while you and your target are moving.

Apologies from Roy Sparks - Sparks Hounds (http://www.africahunting.com/index.php?threads/apologies-from-roy-sparks-sparks-hounds.2151/)
Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Roy Sparks, Feb 17, 2010

"Dear friends,

I have done a bit of soul searching over the last day or so and feel that I owe apologies to anyone I may have offended with regard to the content of my posts on the respective forums here at AfricaHunting.com

In the heat of the moment after discovering Jerome's superb facility I used it to vent my anger and frustration concerning my predicament with the leopard hunting in Namibia.I have not conducted myself as a gentleman in this respect and herewith offer apologies to AfricaHunting.com for having to field my harsh rebukes, and I apologise in turn to those who have been at the receiving end of my anger.

I trust that there are enough good folk out there in Namibia who will consider the welfare of the leopard so that we may still be able to have plenty around to hunt in future generations.

Futhermore I believe that time may well prove that the hounds were valuable to us as hunters and that they and their masters will be given fair consideration as an asset to hunting the problem leopard on ranches.

My hope is that we can once more be of assistance to the hunting industry.Namibia is a great country and one I could comfortably reside in.Generally the hunting is unequaled in Southern Africa especially on the unfenced private ranches.It is out of this world.So till things change my partner and I will have to abide by the rules and conduct baited hunts for leopard and enjoy the fantastic plainsgame hunting that is in abundance throughout the country.Yours sincerely, Roy Sparks - Sparks Hounds."
Poor response when you're in a corner Mr. Ling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg