PH and US Leopard hunter in Namibia arrested

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Just got off the phone with one of my outfitters in Namibia, a PH and an American hunter have been arrested. The outfitter was conducting an illegal hunt with dogs on a farm in Namibia, the parks department found out about it and they were both arrested. Outfitter and clients are currently in jail in Windhoek. Their names have not been released yet. If I get any additional information, I will gladly post it.

Just passing this information along, hound hunting for leopard is illegal and the parks department is cracking down on these operators. Please use caution when booking your leopard hunt as there are still several outfitter using these methods for taking cats. While I have no personal experience of Namibian jail, I doubt its a great experience.

buchnerl

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA Hunters, ECGMA
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia
That is a very unfortunate event for both parties - however more for the client than the PH. @James Jeffrey - HuntingAgent.com do you know if it was an SA PH or an NA PH?

UKHunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
Damn.

Its sad there are still these idiots out there giving us all bad press. You would have thought people would have learnt from the Cecil incident.

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
@Tootabi Hunting Safaris, i am only assuming its a Namibian PH, since they closed dog hunting a few years ago it can be difficult for PH's from other countries to get tags. The other downside to this is the unnecessary focus on leopard hunting as well as an increase in cost for permits in 2016 and beyond.

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
I'm glad the authorities are enforcing the law. These incidents are putting even more importance on Jame's comments on who you book with.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
I look forward to the details.

Aaron N

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Anyone heard from johnnyblues?!

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Here is some information/regulations regarding Leopard hunting in Namibia:

- Official Leopard & Cheetah Hunting Announcement by NAPHA: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/official-leopard-cheetah-hunting-announcement-by-napha.2048/
- Leopard tags in Namibia: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/leopard-tags-in-namibia.7862/
- Permit Conditions for Trophy Hunting of Lion, Leopard & Cheetah in Namibia: http://www.africahunting.com/thread...ing-of-lion-leopard-cheetah-in-namibia.15165/

Since these regulations came out, the Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) has added a few more requirements… A SCHEDULE G / RECORD SHEET (Regulations 114C (0)) needs to be completed, amongst the information required are the Leopard’s skull measurements as well as the GPS co-ordinates. Also if the photos of the Leopard are taken at night, MET now requests that the PH writes an "Explanation Letter", which is needed along with the Export Application. MET also needs a copy of the Passport of the hunter as well as a copy of his Visa entry, to make certain that the timing coincides.

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Thanks for the info James.

Important to book with reputable people.

Hopefully this doesn't make world news like cecil.

It will be interesting to see where the dog man is from. In the days when dog hunting was legal, it seems most of the dog men were from outside Namibia.

WildRose

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.texasquail.com
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
Sad to see. I don't want to be in jail anywhere but being jailed in Africa is something I would avoid at any cost.

What worries me about these types of incidents is wondering if the hunters even had a clue that what they were doing was illegal. If we are to believe what he's saying the Dentist who shot Cecil had no idea what he was doing was illegal.

I know here in the US with my own customers they simply trust me to keep them legal and when hunting in another country I wouldn't even know where to start looking to find all of the game regulations for that country so trust has to be absolute.

The worst thing about these incidents is that they make all of us Americans look bad and will cause the authorities to give us extra scrutiny in the future.

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
Sad to see. I don't want to be in jail anywhere but being jailed in Africa is something I would avoid at any cost.

What worries me about these types of incidents is wondering if the hunters even had a clue that what they were doing was illegal. If we are to believe what he's saying the Dentist who shot Cecil had no idea what he was doing was illegal.

I know here in the US with my own customers they simply trust me to keep them legal and when hunting in another country I wouldn't even know where to start looking to find all of the game regulations for that country so trust has to be absolute.

The worst thing about these incidents is that they make all of us Americans look bad and will cause the authorities to give us extra scrutiny in the future.

As a hunter, you are spot I - I put my full trust in the outfitter and guide. I try to do a reasonable amount of research and follow my gut in the field. I've been fortunate in the US as my brother is a retired USFWS field agent. With his connections, I've been able to vet out operations in Alaska and Wyoming which all turned out very well.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
It will be interesting to see what becomes of these alleged charges, to see if they are true or not.

I cannot find this on the internet doing a search...

I think after the Cecil the Lion incident, to make a informed statement, we need to know more information.

With out knowledge and information on the incident from a reliable source, for a person to make a comment early is many times jumping the gun and being foolish.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
The positive part of this story as we know it so far, was that a cat had not yet been taken. They were only conducting an illegal hunt. It happens often in the U.S. also, but usually a professional hunter is not involved and mostly only makes news in the local area when an arrest is made by the local game and fish agency. The bottom line in my view though is that the hunter has to know the law pertaining to what he is hunting and where he is hunting it. I know that we pay people to know these things particularly in other countries to keep us out of trouble, but it appears that is not good enough. From what previous posters have said was that using dogs to cat hunt has been outlawed in Namibia for several years. If we as hunters put ourselves in these situations unknowingly, then shame on us. Pay the piper and move on!

Looking forward to hearing the final story, good or bad!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Damn risky to use dogs, well it's illegal anyway. Greed to get a leopard.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
James... any update on this?

I am unable to find anything on this in the Namibia papers or internet search... Only thing that shows up using a google search is this forum posting...

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Sorry no update as yet, this came from one of my outfitters. As soon as i get an update I'll post it.

ctulpa

AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.tulpapublishing.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member SCI, Charter Life Member GSC/OVIS, Life member FNAWS, NRA member
Hunted
Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Uganda, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Mauritius, Mongolia,Tajikistan, Russia, Spain, Argentina, Peru, New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, USA, Canada, Mexico
Unfortunate to hear this news. But please do not throw the hunter or PH under the bus until actual knowledge of the facts are known.
While it is true that Namibia does not allow trophy hunts for leopards with dogs, Namibia does allow the use of dogs for problem leopards.
It is possible that the hunter was there to hunt a leopard without dogs and a problem leopard issue arose to allow the use of dogs.
So we need to know the facts. To just say using dogs is illegal in Namibia is not true.
If a problem leopard was taken using dogs by an America hunter, the PH could get permits for export if all other aspects were legal, such as location of kill.

So lets get the facts first before saying they did anything illegal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacDanMc

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?