Penetration

CTDolan

AH elite
Joined
Mar 16, 2015
Messages
1,482
Reaction score
1,728
Location
Minnesota
Media
18
Articles
1
The video is very basic (single test medium (homogenous/monolithic), one shot from each rifle, one bullet type/weight, etc.), but it is telling in that each penetrated to the same depth (the classic calibers each performing to the same level...adequate penetration, from which point one chooses a caliber they can manage well and which will provide sufficient "punch" to sort a less-than-ideal situation). Also, all variables, other than the most essential (caliber) have been scrubbed, so in this regard it is a good test.


Comments?
 
By the way, you'll notice that the Gibbs load used the 600 grain Woodleigh (loaded to 2,100 fps...giving identical penetration to the NE rounds, each loaded to the same velocity).
 
interesting side by side test and results
 
Like the man said:
"Certainly adequate for any dangerous games species, as you have seen in this video."

That is one tough SOB to be shooting all those rifles with a Tshirt on. Bet he walks left foot forward for a while.

Looks like the 416 Rigby would be the winner in my book. It knocked the shooter less and got the penetration.
 
I'm not sure how to post video links. This guy also has a video of him shooting a magnum research BFR chambered in 458 win mag.

He does present some interesting information. However, I think penetration into dry phone books only gives one part of the story. A smith 500 in 440 gr. will penetrate the same into phone books as a 308 in 168 gr. but I would never put those cartridges on equal footing.

I also like comparing cartridges shooting closed containers of water. I think it gives a good idea of energy dispersion. I recall seeing one with a nitro express cartridge of some sort shooting a 55 gallon drum. It looked like a 22 shooting a soda can. That impressed the heck out of me.

Fun videos. He shows that all of the cartridges are adequate for big game. Plus he shoots some fun guns. Makes me want a 600 OK.
 
Did you guys notice the subtle shoulder twitching while he was talking after firing the .600 :D Lol, I dont blame him.
 
Like the man said:
"Certainly adequate for any dangerous games species, as you have seen in this video."

That is one tough SOB to be shooting all those rifles with a Tshirt on. Bet he walks left foot forward for a while.

Looks like the 416 Rigby would be the winner in my book. It knocked the shooter less and got the penetration.
My guess Wayne is that this ole'boy has it down, and there is no pain... I would add, SOB is tough as nails.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,571,938
Members
169,469
Latest member
LupeMcConn
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top