Penetration

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
The video is very basic (single test medium (homogenous/monolithic), one shot from each rifle, one bullet type/weight, etc.), but it is telling in that each penetrated to the same depth (the classic calibers each performing to the same level...adequate penetration, from which point one chooses a caliber they can manage well and which will provide sufficient "punch" to sort a less-than-ideal situation). Also, all variables, other than the most essential (caliber) have been scrubbed, so in this regard it is a good test.

Comments?

By the way, you'll notice that the Gibbs load used the 600 grain Woodleigh (loaded to 2,100 fps...giving identical penetration to the NE rounds, each loaded to the same velocity).

interesting side by side test and results

Like the man said:
"Certainly adequate for any dangerous games species, as you have seen in this video."

That is one tough SOB to be shooting all those rifles with a Tshirt on. Bet he walks left foot forward for a while.

Looks like the 416 Rigby would be the winner in my book. It knocked the shooter less and got the penetration.

I'm not sure how to post video links. This guy also has a video of him shooting a magnum research BFR chambered in 458 win mag.

He does present some interesting information. However, I think penetration into dry phone books only gives one part of the story. A smith 500 in 440 gr. will penetrate the same into phone books as a 308 in 168 gr. but I would never put those cartridges on equal footing.

I also like comparing cartridges shooting closed containers of water. I think it gives a good idea of energy dispersion. I recall seeing one with a nitro express cartridge of some sort shooting a 55 gallon drum. It looked like a 22 shooting a soda can. That impressed the heck out of me.

Fun videos. He shows that all of the cartridges are adequate for big game. Plus he shoots some fun guns. Makes me want a 600 OK.

Did you guys notice the subtle shoulder twitching while he was talking after firing the .600 :D Lol, I dont blame him.

Like the man said:
"Certainly adequate for any dangerous games species, as you have seen in this video."

That is one tough SOB to be shooting all those rifles with a Tshirt on. Bet he walks left foot forward for a while.

Looks like the 416 Rigby would be the winner in my book. It knocked the shooter less and got the penetration.
My guess Wayne is that this ole'boy has it down, and there is no pain... I would add, SOB is tough as nails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you