Pelican prerogatives - 1750 vs 1700 for int'l travel - experiences wanted

Datchew

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
School of hard knocks
Hunted
Texas, Oregon, Washington, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Maine, Tennessee
I have a 1750 - the double rifle case with wheels. It's been traveled with quite a bit. Truck, roof, trunk, airlines, etc. Solid piece of equipment. A little long in the tooth and covered in scratches and stickers.
I recently upgraded to a blaser r8 and will probably take it solely on international travel. Perhaps domestic airline travel as well. So going to a shorter case is now and option and I'm looking at the 1700.

Question for the experienced - is it really worth another $300+ to go to a Pelican 1700 to lose approx 9-10" in length?
I realize the 1750 is in the gray area of published airline luggage size allowances and it's heavier and "looks like a gun case" but I'm guessing the 1700 gets the same looks.

So is it worth it to drop about 4 pounds of weight and 10" in length for the 1700 or just go with what I got?
How important (and how effective) is stepping a little further away from the optics of "that looks like a gun case?"

I don't see it being worth buying a new case. If the opposite were the case, excuse the pun, and you needed a larger one then yes of course. The extra space can be filled with gear or simply add more space for your gun to live in the event of the inevitable fall or bump. Any pelican case or large locking case will attract attention even if the they don't think it's specifically a gun.
Put an AirTag in the case and stare out the window when they are l loading the plane like I do. I think most airlines now offer baggage trackers too so you know if your bag is not on the plane with you. Not that they will do anything if it isn't though!

If I had an R8 and were travelling with the double then I'd 100% disassemble and take a pelican 1700 case. I think @Backyardsniper showed a set-up with the DR, the R8 and 2 barrels in a different thread.

I meant double rifle as in that it carries 2 rifles.

I'd only be packing the r8 with a 2nd barrel

I used a pelican Vault last summer for my Model 70. No wheels though. I painted some of the outboard panels bright yellow so it looks like a giant Bee. Easy to see from a 100 or so. Plus air tags to track.Easy to keep an eye on. Must say my agent thru SAPS wanted to know where the wheels were. He insisted on carrying my case so I tipped extra. Next case for next rip will have wheels as I am loaning this one plus the rifle to a friend for his first trip to Africa.

Personally I will always run a 1750 just so I can take all length rifles. The amount you need to actually tote it around is very low.

I have both, and have done several trips with both. The longer case for a bolt action and shorter for a Blaser; sometimes one barrel,sometimes 2…..

I do multi stop itineraries on majority of hunting trips, hardly ever airport,hunt,airport; that short case is REALLY handy when doing multiple stops and wanting to just stick it in a back seat when driving and carrying it multiple times. Personally its the whole point owning a Blaser.

Long case is nice because I can fit a 2 piece fishing pole in there along with a rifle and I like my 375HH bolt gun depending what I’m hunting.

Question for the experienced - is it really worth another $300+ to go to a Pelican 1700 to lose approx 9-10" in length?
I realize the 1750 is in the gray area of published airline luggage size allowances and it's heavier and "looks like a gun case" but I'm guessing the 1700 gets the same looks.
Up to you.
But at least two hunters travelling with me last time, travelled with blaser original case.
I travelled with 1750 Pelican.

They were walking like gentlemen with these short light cases, and I was struggling with my pelican 1750 like a dock worker.

I have a 1750 - the double rifle case with wheels. It's been traveled with quite a bit. Truck, roof, trunk, airlines, etc. Solid piece of equipment. A little long in the tooth and covered in scratches and stickers.
I recently upgraded to a blaser r8 and will probably take it solely on international travel. Perhaps domestic airline travel as well. So going to a shorter case is now and option and I'm looking at the 1700.

So is it worth it to drop about 4 pounds of weight and 10" in length for the 1700 or just go with what I got?
How important (and how effective) is stepping a little further away from the optics of "that looks like a gun case?"
The Fear of it looking like a gun case and supposed issues are grossly overblown. Many of the stories of intentional damage were in London and years ago.
I like both of your ideas and have used both. The smaller case is cool but that's about it. You get 50lbs on airlines and may as well use it. The 2 rifle case gives you space for a rifle and some gear etc.
There is one situation hat has arisen where the take down case was money. This was with our charter flights in Zim. If we take the Navajo and there are four or five of us there is not room for that many big gun cases. we will wind up leaving a couple with the charter folks and taking our rifles in soft cases on the plane. With the take down you can just throw it in the plane with the luggage!

I have a Peli 1750 languishing at the back of the man cave. Used it for two trips abroad but nowadays I prefer a smaller case. It’s just too much grief negotiating a big case like that.

I think you answered your own question, you purchased an R8 and plan for it to be your main travel rifle. Blaser spends your money quite quickly, what's another $300!

I did the same thing for the same reasons, even purchased an R8 for my son's 21st birthday, it seems that the Pelican 1700 is a great match. Here is a photo of ours, we are getting ready for a May South Africa trip. One LH rifle and one RH.

Pelican 1700 Cases.jpg

The Fear of it looking like a gun case and supposed issues are grossly overblown. Many of the stories of intentional damage were in London and years ago.
I like both of your ideas and have used both. The smaller case is cool but that's about it. You get 50lbs on airlines and may as well use it. The 2 rifle case gives you space for a rifle and some gear etc.
There is one situation hat has arisen where the take down case was money. This was with our charter flights in Zim. If we take the Navajo and there are four or five of us there is not room for that many big gun cases. we will wind up leaving a couple with the charter folks and taking our rifles in soft cases on the plane. With the take down you can just throw it in the plane with the luggage!

Appreciate all the input guys.

Philip touches on 2 of the big points I'm chewing on:
- ease of transport/stowage in vehicles, planes, etc.
- conspicuous optics while traveling.

It looks like the optics apprehension may be overblown/overthought by yours truly so it's really all about making travel, stowage, & transport easy.

I think you answered your own question, you purchased an R8 and plan for it to be your main travel rifle. Blaser spends your money quite quickly, what's another $300!

You're right. It's not about the money.
Appreciate the layout pictures.

As far as a Pelican 1700 looking like a gun case, I’ve camouflaged ours to look like music instruments, they are covered in music and band stickers ….lol

I think easier travel, fitting in cars easier are all good points. The longer the case the more people know you have guns. Pelican cases are generic and used for many purposes. My son tells people it’s a Banjo and I play a keyboard!

As I said before you have already made the decision on buying a 1700 and you just need us to help you feel good about spending the money! Another recommendation is go to their website, accept cookies, put it in your cart but don’t check out, you will get an email within 48 hours offering you a discount to complete the transaction. It always feels better when you get a discount. My wife tells me how much money we save when she spends money …lol

Last edited:

It looks like the optics apprehension may be overblown/overthought by yours truly so it's really all about making travel, stowage, & transport easy.

I am sure you will make the right decision for you. Again I say have a better reason than "it doesn't look like a gun case". Most of us don't blend in real well in Africa anyway.
Keep in mind with the take down you will still need soft cases.

Another minor point I see is the lock holes are different here. The 1750 has the two holes with metal reinforcement and two straight plastic And easy to cut off. (My idea years ago) The 1700 has all four with the metal reinforcement. I am definitely cutting two of them off of any of my cases so that I only have to take two locks (plus two spares) and not four.

I'm scratching my head on why you'd cut them off. Are you worried TSA will install some other lock you don't have a key for?

I'm scratching my head on why you'd cut them off. Are you worried TSA will install some other lock you don't have a key for?

TSA wants a lock on each hole. Two less holes, two less locks,

thanks for that. I've never experienced that with flying domestic USA. 2 locks only on my 1750.
Occasionally they zip-tied the other 2 holes after inspection.
Good to know though.

I guess I can count my blessings- I have an older Pelican 1700 with only 2 lock holes. So I use 2 simple, small, generic locks :)

I have never understood the idea about using oversized anything, if not needed, for travel, especially international air travel that is always a royal PITA. I do not have a dedicated take-down rifle of any kind but I have always treated my bolt guns as take-downs for air travel. Have been doing it that way since 1975. I have been using a Pelican 1700 for my "take-downs" since they first came out and they seem the perfect size for such. Handy, compact, easy to carry in one hand.... etc. what's not to like about it. Simply make sure the lid foam compresses the stock and barreled action in the bottom section so that they do not shift around during handling. I added a velcro strap to hold the bolt in position in its own cutout. Also something often overlooked by many..... make is easy for the inspectors to inspect the rifle! That aways helps lead to a happier outcome :):)

pelican 1700- 2.png
Pelican 1700- 2  4.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?