PAST Shoulder Pad?

Fatback

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Just wanted to see if any of y’all have used or currently use a PAST recoil shoulder pad when you are shooting a big bore rifle? Pro’s and or Cons? Does it actually help with felt recoil. Any input would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you

Always use them when sighting in any magnum/heavy rifle. (Recommend doing everything possible to keep your brain from saying "this is gonna hurt" when in the field.) Never use them in the field.

Have used them and others similar at the range. They all worked great.

I use one at the range all the time. I don’t use one in the field hunting big game since the adrenaline is enough to dampen the recoil!

The magnum size it too thick imo as it will change your effective lop

The one exception to use in the field is high volume dove shooting in Argentina- you need one for sure or will probably be black and blue :)

Makes 458 Lott load development much much more comfortable.
I am very happy with mine.
Best thing going for most any caliber. I use the magnum for 30 cal and up. Adds about a half inch to lop but after a few rounds it's not that noticeable.

I don’t use a shoulder pad or a padded coat when working up loads . What I do use is a standing height bench . Makes a great difference to the felt recoil. I did use a seated position at a bench on my old RSM 458 Lott with the original hard rubber pad . Fired about 40 rounds and was black and blue . Standing I can shoot 20 rounds of 577 nitro and as much again with 505 G and be fine .

Always use them when sighting in any magnum/heavy rifle. (Recommend doing everything possible to keep your brain from saying "this is gonna hurt" when in the field.) Never use them in the field.
+1. They work great when shooting multiple big bore rounds at the range.

@AimSmall - same here, have used both their Magnum & Regular PAST recoil pads and very good for “sighting in” at the range where a box or more of magnum ammo might be fired….but Never when hunting. The pads are “stiff” and very effective at mitigating recoil but have some negative alteration to gun mount & fit.

I don’t use a shoulder pad or a padded coat when working up loads . What I do use is a standing height bench . Makes a great difference to the felt recoil. I did use a seated position at a bench on my old RSM 458 Lott with the original hard rubber pad . Fired about 40 rounds and was black and blue . Standing I can shoot 20 rounds of 577 nitro and as much again with 505 G and be fine .
@PCC600 - I also like the ”Standing” type bench (when possible) and agree they can at least “double” the amount of rounds fired with minimal recoil affects.
But “40 Rounds” of .577 & .505 !! —- using a Hard-rubber-pad? You’ve got some damn tough shoulders (or the recoil rattled your Brain so much - You Lost Count !)

Just wanted to see if any of y’all have used or currently use a PAST recoil shoulder pad when you are shooting a big bore rifle? Pro’s and or Cons? Does it actually help with felt recoil. Any input would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you
Most all of the time I use one at the range and even recommend taking it on safari for sight in day. It is not that I need it because I have never really had recoil hunt my shoulder but it is my neck that is the trouble. It helps remove the distraction of some of the recoil so you can focus on the shot. I got the pad and learned how and why to use it at the SAAM shooting school.
I am sure you will get all kinds of opinions here but developing a flinch is a reality for many. Anything that can help avoid that is a good practice.

I really appreciate the input y’all. I shot the 458 Win yesterday with a thread protector instead of the break. I was off of sticks standing and I was able to manage but I could tell I was approaching my limit in terms of recoil tolerance. I will get one of these pads headed my way today. Thanks again.

Thank
I use them for sighting in. Without question it takes recoil pounding off you

I have one. The magnum model I think.
it’s thick. Obviously extends the lop. Will effect eye relief on some scope rifle combos.
Besides all that it works great for bench shooting a heavier recoiling rifle.
One or two shots might not need it. 15-30 shots the past recoil pad will keep me from getting sore.

I use the medium pad when load developing. It really helps. On the big stuff I limit myself to about 6-10 rounds. Also use enough of a forearm rest so that you sit high and straight as possible so your body moves. Building a pvc rest to clamp onto the bench so I can shoot standing. Good shooting!

Use one all the time. Shooting rifles and shooting sporting clays

I’ve got one that I occasionally use on the range for initial sight in on the heavy recoil stuff (when I remember to take it)… but I don’t like that it adds about 1/2” to my already really long LOP… so I don’t use one in the field…

Because my wife’s LOP is particularly short, and mine is particularly long, typically as soon as we get a rifle or shotgun the stock either gets cut down or I start looking for ways to lengthen it (spacers, larger recoil pad, etc)…

One of the best option I’ve found for recoil control that also gets me some additional lop when I need it (but also works with a cut down) are the kick eez magnum recoil pads.. they are available in multiple colors (red, brown, black, etc)… and are available in multiple widths…

For looks NECG is where I go..

But for softening big bores, kick-eez seems to work best for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamer44

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?