Partially the reason for some Creedmoor hate???

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
The kid shot a nice bull at 1100 yds with a 6.5 CM. First shot in the guts, second in the hip and third in the neck. Classless shooting is all it was and the father should be admonished for encouraging it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The rifle belongs to a friend of my son. It's a Savage 110 with a Vortex 5-25 scope. It is set up for long distance shooting. The friend killed his elk at 1300 yards. My son shot his at 1100 yards. Both of these are more than twice the distance I've ever shot an animal.

The shot was across a canyon with no wind. He missed another 1100 yard shot earlier but the wind was howling around 30 mph. He hit the bull three times. The first was a gut shot, the second shot hit him in the hind quarter and the third was in the neck. He had a good side view of the elkon the first shot, the bull took a few steps and was facing away for the second and third shots. The bull only walked five yards from the time he was first hit until he dropped on the third."

Just read the post. It was a 6.5 PRC. Which makes about zero difference in the ethics of letting your kid take pot shots at a bull over 1000 yards away in a 30 mph wind! Ridiculous. Says he missed the first one…wonder if they even went and checked for signs of a hit after.

That's what's called "taking a poke". Nothing what a true rifleman or hunter would do.

That's what's called "taking a poke". Nothing what a true rifleman or hunter would do.
That is a very good example of why the 6.5CR has a bad rep. A bunch of dumb asses trying to do something the round is not designed for. In fact, NO round is fully capable of a clean kill at that range. Yes, it can be and is done, but it's folly to rely on it. Practical hunting ranges are 500 yds or less. Even that is pushing it. Hunting is the art of stalking as close as possible to the quarry before taking a shot.

Just read the post. It was a 6.5 PRC. Which makes about zero difference in the ethics of letting your kid take pot shots at a bull over 1000 yards away in a 30 mph wind! Ridiculous. Says he missed the first one…wonder if they even went and checked for signs of a hit after.

You are correct and I made a mistake.

My point is that all of these TV shows and articles promoting all of this 6.5 and long range BS is terrible for hunting and animals which is why so many dislike hearing the name. This is just one more example. This father/son duo needs some time off from the woods.

You are correct and I made a mistake.

My point is that all of these TV shows and articles promoting all of this 6.5 and long range BS is terrible for hunting and animals which is why so many dislike hearing the name. This is just one more example. This father/son duo needs some time off from the woods.
How about relocating both their nether regions up between their ears?

"The rifle belongs to a friend of my son. It's a Savage 110 with a Vortex 5-25 scope. It is set up for long distance shooting. The friend killed his elk at 1300 yards. My son shot his at 1100 yards. Both of these are more than twice the distance I've ever shot an animal.

The shot was across a canyon with no wind. He missed another 1100 yard shot earlier but the wind was howling around 30 mph. He hit the bull three times. The first was a gut shot, the second shot hit him in the hind quarter and the third was in the neck. He had a good side view of the elkon the first shot, the bull took a few steps and was facing away for the second and third shots. The bull only walked five yards from the time he was first hit until he dropped on the third."

How is that any different than shooting a buffalo at 100 yards 5 times? Or wounding a buffalo and tracking it for hours before finally putting it away.

Heck, in the Elk story while the distance shot is not something most would recommend at least they killed the animal pretty quickly.

While I am impressed that long range shooters can hit a steel target at 1000+ yards, shooting an elk or antelope or any other game animal at that distance isn't hunting. It's sniping. Part of the thrill of hunting is stalking to close range of the animal and trying to outwit its greater sense of smell, hearing and sight.

How is that any different than shooting a buffalo at 100 yards 5 times? Or wounding a buffalo and tracking it for hours before finally putting it away.

Heck, in the Elk story while the distance shot is not something most would recommend at least they killed the animal pretty quickly.

I would say at least they got lucky.

If you have to ask then it probably isn't worth explaining.

How is that any different than shooting a buffalo at 100 yards 5 times?

If a guy sucks at 100 yards perhaps they don't know what their limits are either and should consider knitting. At least the sheep already parted with the wool and can't be hurt.

Really crazy that they'd do that classless bullshit then tell the heroic tale on the internet. I think they got pretty lucky with that one, I'd like to see what kinda groups these dickheads could shoot at 1100 and 1300 yards with a 30 mph wind. I suspect they're the kind of guys that go through quite a bit of ammo during a week long hunt. Just my two cents, the older I get, the shorter the distance I want to shoot. Always seems to work better at 100 yards than it does at 300.

1000 yard shots certainly don’t require any skill at all as far as stalking goes, that’s for certain. My primary issue with it is twofold, first if the animal even knows you’re there, it doesn’t care or recognize the threat, hardly sporting. Second, no one should be taking any shot that they cannot, with complete confidence, put through the vitals every time whatever the distance.
YouTube is full of these Nimrods walking shots in on game.
Game wounded by incompetent shooters are a disgusting disgrace. Play with steel and paper but game deserves better.
Of course there are plenty of videos out there of shooters making poor shots at all distances. It’s knowing your rifle and your ability with it and the good judgment to work within your capabilities.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois