Paris layover with Rifle?

wildwilderness

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA, Canada, Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Greenland, Cameroon, Zimbabwe, Argentina
I’m looking at a 21 hour layover in Paris enroute to Cameroon.
I have the best price on Delta.

Does anyone know how how they handle baggage? Especially a rifle during that time?

(the travel agent would cost me $1000 extra to use)

Did you use a travel agent that specializes in rifle transport? I would be very weary of transiting through France or Great Britain with a rifle.
Have not booked yet. Who do you recommend?

I think you are making a mistake considering anything other than most direct route with Air France. Delta will use Air France for the flight to Paris and to Douala. I’m actually very surprised you can book through to Douala on Delta and not be required to make a separate itinerary from Paris. For the cost and difficulty of going to Cameroon not using a travel agent is a mistake. I will be using travel with guns this January. Gracy also came highly recommended but I’ve been unhappy with them in past. Any travel agent you use I would specifically ask how many clients they send to Cameroon each year. I suspect travel with guns and Gracy get the majority of this business and are much more familiar than other agencies.

I think you are making a mistake considering anything other than most direct route with Air France. Delta will use Air France for the flight to Paris and to Douala. I’m actually very surprised you can book through to Douala on Delta and not be required to make a separate itinerary from Paris. For the cost and difficulty of going to Cameroon not using a travel agent is a mistake. I will be using travel with guns this January. Gracy also came highly recommended but I’ve been unhappy with them in past. Any travel agent you use I would specifically ask how many clients they send to Cameroon each year. I suspect travel with guns and Gracy get the majority of this business and are much more familiar than other agencies.
I’ll 2nd what 375 says. Only go as direct as possible and have an experienced agent handle it for you. I’ve always used Shawn Kennedy of Gracy but hear lots of good about Jennifer at Travel Express.
BIGGEST QUESTION… Why are you taking guns to Cameroon? The consensus of nearly everyone who has taken their own guns the last few years is that it’s not worth the hassle and almost everyone recommends camp rifles. I’m going in February of ‘24 and almost certain I’ll use a camp rifle.

BIGGEST QUESTION… Why are you taking guns to Cameroon? The consensus of nearly everyone who has taken their own guns the last few years is that it’s not worth the hassle and almost everyone recommends camp rifles. I’m going in February of ‘24 and almost certain I’ll use a camp rifle.
I realize the question wasn’t directed at me, but I’ll answer for my own hunt. I’m going to bring my own rifle and go through the hassle of getting it there. My reasoning for doing so is how much cost is put into that one shot on an eland. I’d like to have a rifle and scope I’m familiar with and trust 100%. I’ve rented rifles on every European trip I’ve gone on, but those hunts are short and lots of opportunities for multiple trophies. My Cameroon hunt will be 12 days primarily for one eland and the opportunity to hunt them again may not exist in future with so much instability in region.

Flying from Anchorage always complicates a flight!

I dislike multiple bookings on separate carriers especially if I need a change in the schedule. I almost always will leave earlier if tagged out. (Time=money and a happy wife)

I had spoken with a hunting travel agent, and so far have not been impressed….
Lack of communication, appeared annoyance at my calls and questions etc. Doesn’t seem like a good fit for me.

*update I just got “fired” by the agent because I asked why the same flight was $1200 cheaper on Deltas website??

I will call the recommendations here and see the responses

Last edited:
I'll second or third Jennifer at Travel Express. They do a lot of international travel arrangements for hunters headed to Africa and they know their business and keep their clients very happy.

I realize the question wasn’t directed at me, but I’ll answer for my own hunt. I’m going to bring my own rifle and go through the hassle of getting it there. My reasoning for doing so is how much cost is put into that one shot on an eland. I’d like to have a rifle and scope I’m familiar with and trust 100%. I’ve rented rifles on every European trip I’ve gone on, but those hunts are short and lots of opportunities for multiple trophies. My Cameroon hunt will be 12 days primarily for one eland and the opportunity to hunt them again may not exist in future with so much instability in region.
375, you make excellent points and I face the same dilemma. I’ve planned to take my own rifles since I booked my LDE hunt. But, I’m hearing so many horror stories about getting guns in and out of Cameroon that I’ve decided to discuss the topic with my PH and seek his advice. I’ve known him for decades and trust his counsel, so that’ll weigh heavily in my final decision. I also have a friend who’s hunted Cameroon several times, most recently last February with a camp rifle. I’ll see if he still believes in camp rifles after his hunt. He did have some difficulty on his LDE with a camp rifle. Regardless, I think each hunter going to the Savannah in Cameroon needs to give this thorough consideration And weigh the pros & cons. Forest hunt, no brainer to use a camp gun since 20 yards would be a long shot.

When I traveled through Paris with guns, the rule was you did not need to collect your baggage and do anything extra other than turn in a 1 page document. IF your layover was not over 24 hours.

But that was in early 2015.

I used Air France flights via Paris this January. Used travel agent to help with all paperwork. No issues to get guns to Cameroon. Import/Export process in Cameroon is a hassle, but with arrival service it can be managed. Local support for importing firearm is a must to get it done. I prefer using a gun that I am familiar with so using camp guns is my last alternative.

My experience in June 2021 was the same as actionbob. We had a re-route take us through CDG with a 12hr layover there. My rifles weren’t on my plane getting to CDG but on the next delta flight after me. I questioned a gate agent and he said “your rifle is fine, this is Air France”. This wasn’t super comforting but there was nothing else I could do. We stayed within the airport and went to a lounge at another terminal. Everything turned out fine and my rifle was in perfect shape on-time in RSA.

your rifle is fine, this is Air France”
in 25 years of international travel, I lost luggage twice:
- once with alitalia
- once with air france

In 40 yrs of frequent travel between Africa& the USA I always used a Travel Agent first Gracy’s then TWG not once was there a problem. I made a mistake using another agent. Service I would rate “0” a very costly mistake. Now back with TWG. Lon

I used Air France flights via Paris this January. Used travel agent to help with all paperwork. No issues to get guns to Cameroon. Import/Export process in Cameroon is a hassle, but with arrival service it can be managed. Local support for importing firearm is a must to get it done. I prefer using a gun that I am familiar with so using camp guns is my last alternative.
Which agent did you use? Thanks

375, you make excellent points and I face the same dilemma. I’ve planned to take my own rifles since I booked my LDE hunt. But, I’m hearing so many horror stories about getting guns in and out of Cameroon that I’ve decided to discuss the topic with my PH and seek his advice. I’ve known him for decades and trust his counsel, so that’ll weigh heavily in my final decision. I also have a friend who’s hunted Cameroon several times, most recently last February with a camp rifle. I’ll see if he still believes in camp rifles after his hunt. He did have some difficulty on his LDE with a camp rifle. Regardless, I think each hunter going to the Savannah in Cameroon needs to give this thorough consideration And weigh the pros & cons. Forest hunt, no brainer to use a camp gun since 20 yards would be a long shot.
Which travel agent did your friend use? Who are you using? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois